(Topic ID: 228034)

Since it is newly legal, how is life north of the 49th parallel?

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pmWolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181026_161941 (resized).jpg
    cfba8f9fe78e85befa6601ef775d6aeaa7966a0c.jpg
    e8e2b3599096f6de516af35000c5d904924e448b.jpg

This topic is closed.

#1 5 years ago

Now that you all can toke your way across Canada, how is it? Has life as we know it gone into the crapper? Or is everybody too buzzed to care? Have munchies become the national pastime ?

Now that you can smoke a joint with impunity, has your pinball playing improved?

#2 5 years ago

I would guess the big fallacy here is that the pot laws changing are going to result in MORE people
    Smoking.

I know literally zero people who don’t smoke pot becuse it’s illegal.

#3 5 years ago

betcha layz potato chips profits have increased!

#4 5 years ago

Doritos and Mountain dew are selling like never before

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would guess the big fallacy here is... people
    Smoking.

I think that's the biggest change in how we used to think this is going to happen, smoking is probably not the preferred way. Eatibles (sp?) are think are the main thing going up. Buddy in Seattle told me mints are huge out there... Like altoids style. I know honey was big around here for awhile... But other sweets seem to be the main thing.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think that's the biggest change in how we used to think this is going to happen, smoking is probably not the preferred way. Eatibles (sp?) are think are the main thing gydoing up. Buddy in Seattle told me mints are huge out there... Like altoids style. 8 know honey was big around here for awhile.

I think it’s moving more toward Vaping probably.

Yeah people love
    Edibles but it’s not for everybody. I don’t like them at all. Lasts forever and
    I can barely function.

#7 5 years ago

A Girl Guide set up outside a pot shop & sold out of cookies. Smart.

#8 5 years ago

I love edibles (I usually keep a batch of brownies in the freezer) so long as I'm on my couch surrounded by snacks and I'm watching something I don't mind falling asleep halfway through.

In public they always make me feel doltish and paranoid... and I generally feel that way without them, so yeah... no. Being too high in public is just the worst.

The cool thing about the legal edibles is they all have clearly marked dosages, so I know if I eat half of a 15 mg gummy bear I'll feel fine in a social setting... but they take a while to kick in, and at that level you may as well just use a vape pen thingie.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can barely function.

Good point. Looking forward i wonder of the wave of rampant drug use this causes edibles will be more of a normal High for people? I'm just wondering if smoking in general is a less favor already action these days. But Vaping could bridge that gap.

Ha I just saw a blurb on local news yesterday mentioning people vaping vitamins

#10 5 years ago

Have not seen any real changes. Except for Government ads on TV and radio. It is only de-criminalized, there are limits of what you can carry on you and how many plants you can grow. Like alcohol, it can not be smoked in public areas. However each jurisdiction have its own laws.

#11 5 years ago

Whoa can't smoke in public... Lame.

#12 5 years ago

It's legal to grow up here in VT and not much has really changed except the prices. There are no plans as of yet to allow commercial growing and selling, so its just like it use to be as far as obtaining it. Prices are lower because everyone and their mother are growing so supply is high not to mention verity.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

betcha layz potato chips profits have increased!

And Taco Bell runs if you will.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Now that you all can toke your way across Canada, how is it? Has life as we know it gone into the crapper? Or is everybody too buzzed to care? Have munchies become the national pastime ?
    Now that you can smoke a joint with impunity, has your pinball playing improved?

I imagine much the same as here in WA state where recreational marijuana has been legal since 2012. Despite what the current US Atty General contends, life is much the same as before. Perfect one day - paradise the next! And fully legal now aside from the obsolete federal regulations regarding marijuana.

#15 5 years ago

Same as it ever was
    --David Byrne

#16 5 years ago

Gryszzz , lol. Except now you vape extract instead of smoke the flowers... progress? Depends on what’s in that vape juice they mix it with I guess.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it’s moving more toward Vaping probably.
    Yeah people love
    I can barely function.

This is my experience as well. I have been smoking for all of my adult life (I'm 44) and for some reason my threshold for edibles is out of whack. I've eaten a 40mg edible and felt nothing, a few days later try another of the exact same 40mg edible and am completely floored. I just don't care for that kind of buzz these days, so I stick to smoking or dabbing where I can control the dose a little closer. With an edible you don't know if you've over done it before it's too late.

#18 5 years ago

How are the Canadian employers going to be dealing with this? if it is legal, can you not be hired because you did not pass a pee or hair test?

Are certain jobs, such as school bus driver or train driver, going to require you to pass a pot test? No matter the new laws?

Or will it be same as here: You can get blind drunk all you want on your own time and the employer will still have open arms for you but if you have dirty pee you are up shit creek?

Is this going to put all of your detox shops out of business?

#19 5 years ago

Same here.
    New storefronts are really expensive and not sure who their market is? $12.00/gram minimum is insane.
    All they really did was make it legal to smoke in your house and not face punishment for carrying up to 30 grams of Government purchased pot. They expect you to carry a receipt and face fines for not producing a receipt.
    Hopefully the 4 plants per household law changes to minimum 4 plants per person would be a start.

#20 5 years ago

Slowly, very slowly, mj is being eliminated from drug screens. What you do in your off time is not your employers business.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

gryszzz , lol. Except now you vape extract instead of smoke the flowers... progress? Depends on what’s in that vape juice they mix it with I guess.

I enjoy a vape. Never dreamed 20 years ago I'd be able to carry and smoke in public without the stigmatic smell. But there is no replacing the taste and feel of flower.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I enjoy a vape. Never dreamed 20 years ago I'd be able to carry and smoke in public without the stigmatic smell.

There goes America's heartland.

#23 5 years ago

Most Canadian companies don't do piss tests unless a union calls for it. Only worked one non union job where I was required to take a test and they gave me some US corporate bs company policy. I chugged a bottle of a masking agent drink hrs before the test and passed no problem.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Most Canadian companies don't do piss tests unless a union calls for it. Only worked one non union job where I was required to take a test and they gave me some US corporate bs company policy. I chugged a bottle of a masking agent drink hrs before the test and passed no problem.

Why would
    A union call for it? If anything a union would be opposed.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would guess the big fallacy here is that the pot laws changing are going to result in MORE people
    Smoking.
    I know literally zero people who don’t smoke pot becuse it’s illegal.

What surprised me a lot was that after 50 years of front page action and exposure the general population has had with Mary Jane, Panama Red, ditch weed, and any other strain or name you can think of is how the medical community is sticking out its hand for government research money to study the effects of marijuana.

The claim is "since has been Schedule 1 we never studied it." I just don't get that. What's left to research? I mean, go talk to Willie Nelson; He could answer any research question that needs an answer.

#26 5 years ago

I have rigger and crane operator friends that if there's a onsite accident/incident piss tests are immediately required. They might not be required when being hired? Never asked.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why would
    A union call for it? If anything a union would be opposed.

#27 5 years ago

I was a hod carrier for 11 years and my crane operator was my dealer lol. Dude smoked more than all of us. Fckn Hoosiers.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

They expect you to carry a receipt and face fines for not producing a receipt.

I guess that is supposed to control the illegal sale of the stuff? What's to say that you take care of your first receipt and keep presenting it with the illegal bag you just bought?

Cop: Son, this receipt is 3 years old. Any receipt more than 30 days old is not valid. Now you have to pay a big fine because you don't have a proper receipt.

?????????

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I was a hod carrier for 11 years

Trust me. You will have 90% people here scratching their heads with what a hod carrier is. I never worked construction but that always sounded like a back breaker job to me.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Trust me. You will have 90% people here scratching their heads with what a hod carrier is.

WOW...just looked it up; Beast mode.

#31 5 years ago

Alberta sales were $700,000 in 3 days.

#32 5 years ago

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-police-association-grievance-cannabis-ban-1.4871164

Calgary Police Association have filed a grievance over cannabis ban for their officers, lol

#33 5 years ago

I started a Novel with the Conspiracy theory that Legalized Marijuana was a creation
    by deep state placement of Junk Food Company Agents in government.
    It sounded good to me.....

Congrats to our Bro's up North!

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Alberta sales were $700,000 in 3 days.

Wow. The stores around me were short supplied and most sold out. Wonder what their numbers were?

I think the hype or novelty will wear off and sales will go down. I stopped in and bought a gram on day 1 but doubt I will go back unless to check the prices of rso when they get it in stock.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I guess that is supposed to control the illegal sale of the stuff? What's to say that you take care of your first receipt and keep presenting it with the illegal bag you just bought?
    Cop: Son, this receipt is 3 years old. Any receipt more than 30 days old is not valid. Now you have to pay a big fine because you don't have a proper receipt.
    ?????????

Yeah it's to stop you from carrying anything but their (government) pot. Not sure if it's the same everywhere but where I stopped by they give this awkward shape, large container for 1 gram! It barley fit in my cars cup holder it was so big

cfba8f9fe78e85befa6601ef775d6aeaa7966a0c.jpgcfba8f9fe78e85befa6601ef775d6aeaa7966a0c.jpge8e2b3599096f6de516af35000c5d904924e448b.jpge8e2b3599096f6de516af35000c5d904924e448b.jpg
    #36 5 years ago

A couple days after it became legal, some dolt smoked one in his car & got a hefty fine. Not sure if he got impaired. You're not allowed to smoke it in your car.
    Here in Ontario, a guy got a pretty big ticket for carrying his weed in a baggie. You're supposed to go to the OCS website & purchase an approved container. It has to do with transporting weed. Since you can grow your own, it doesn't have to be government pot.

#37 5 years ago

The changes are very minor. There are little things to the acceptance in society. During a hockey game the other night, they did a read, coming on the news the legalization is top story. The broadcaster (John Shorthouse) must have gave the color man (John Garret) a nudge or a look. Garret said oh I guess your hinting at something, and kind of chuckled and said well I am a child of the 60's and Shorthouse said and you nickname is Cheech and they both laughed. Garret has a long history of going off on food related tangents in the middle of a hockey game. Talking about where to get the best wings shit like that. This is the stuff I notice people are just way more open about it. The stigma has been lifted. The day to day nothing has changed. Another funny thing, a bunch of people in Whistler have been hitting social media about allowing drinking on public transit and taxis. A tongue in cheek complaint that no one has ever cared about smoking pot its time to focus on the real issue not being allowed a roadie on your way out at night. The real persecution in Canada is drinking in public.

The reality it has been basically legal for 25 years. I remember stepping out side a club in my early 20's and only if it was nice out, if it was raining we just blazed inside. Anyway, we are standing in the circle and a cop just steps into the ring and my buddy is in a conversation with the guy opposite and just passes the joint to the cop. The cop says you sure you want to pass that to me and my buddy without looking up says yeah sure we got loads of it. The cop just called us idiots and told us to go back inside. Couple of hours latter I'm hiding in this dark corner trying to chat up this girl and this fucking cop comes at me like the fucking Terminator through the crowd yelling that I'm stoned and he knows it. I almost shit my pants, he just laughed and said remember me.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

All they really did was make it legal to smoke in your house and not face punishment for carrying up to 30 grams of Government purchased pot.

In Ontario it can be smoked anywhere Tobacco can be. Each province has their own laws.

As far as changes, it's harder to get right now because weed shops aren't allowed until April here!

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Whoa can't smoke in public... Lame.

You can in Ontario

#40 5 years ago

Not in Canada. Colorado here and here's my 10 strains I keep on hand!

20181026_161941 (resized).jpg20181026_161941 (resized).jpg
    #41 5 years ago

I really want weed to go legal in NY. I’ve never smoked regularly, but damnit I want to get high way more often than I do.

A couple concerns:

I read an article in Rolling Stone about the grassroots “clean pot” movement in California. Evidentially most weed -especially where it’s legal- is so full of chemicals and carcinogens that’s it’s freaking downright scary, if not criminal. Growing shitloads of weed is obviously very popular and lucrative where it’s legal, but since there are no Federal controls, and no one else has the time or money to check or care, weed is grown with shit loads of bad chemicals to keep it growing and keep the bugs and varmints away. This is concerning and very disappointing. It’s like the new era of Paraquat, and it’s sucks.

The other is the organized crime element. A good friend of mine in Cali, who’s in the know, says that organized crime (traditional mafia, Russian, Asian, you name it) have taken over the trade and are forcing the small growers out in Humbolt county. They are ruthless, and will get what the want by any means necessary. This sucks for a variety of reasons, but from an economic standpoint, it’s also bad. Legal pot is supposed to be a tax boon, but organized crime knows how to launder money. Without federal intervention to help keep things level, a lot of tax money evaporates.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/since-it-is-newly-legal-how-is-life-north-of-the-49th-parallel- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.