(Topic ID: 16748)

Since I am stuck in front of the computer today fixing the gallery .....

By High_End_Pins

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Since I am stuck at my desk today feel free to ask any questions you would like about HEP,the process,the projects,the business etc if you are interested and I will do my best to answer them.

Christopher Hutchins

#2 11 years ago

What do you do with old parts? Are they given back to the owner, or just trashed? Is anything resold if it is still in decent shape, but not good enough for a HEP?

#3 11 years ago

How do you restore/touch-up silk screened cabinets?

#4 11 years ago

The old parts are returned ,trashed or kept depending on the owners request,the condition of the parts, orhow hard they are to come by.

#5 11 years ago

I repaint them to an extremely high level.It is a painful process that I think helps keep this place unique.

#6 11 years ago

Your art skills really set you apart from the rest. There are a lot of really good restorers out there, but a lot of their skills rely on readily available parts (plastics, playfields, etc.) The fact that you are able to do everything from top to bottom really sets the bar high.....

That being said, what has been your favorite top 3-5 individual machines you have restored so far? The ones you really feel like you pushed your personal envelope....

#7 11 years ago

I'm just finishing up my Flash Gordon CPR swap and wasn't sure of the best way to polish/cleanup the mirrored ramps and metal rails. Do you typically get these re-plated or is there a way to buff all the deep ball marks out while still keeping the mirrored finish?

#8 11 years ago

I would say my top restores to date are

Banzai Run proto
    http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album77
    Black Knight 2000
    http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album69
    Swords of Fury
    http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album204
    King Kong
    http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album29
    and once complete the Krull will be #1
    http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album150

There are many more and others that might seem more worthy but these were personal milestones at the times of completion.The links should show why.

#9 11 years ago

Those can be tough to deal with.Polishing won't remove the trails,plating can be fragile on the more flexible parts if adjustments are needed during rebuild.
    My prefrence is always to do anything I possibly can in house for several reasons but the main one is control of the entire timing of the project so I would try polishing to the best of your ability first.If you see something you can't live with or that would not be present after a few plays anyway then I would go with plating.

#10 11 years ago

Are you free for a beer this afternoon, Chris? I'm cleaning out the garage and just popped a cold one.

Stop on over.

Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Since I am stuck at my desk today feel free to ask any questions you would like about HEP,the process,the projects,the business etc if you are interested and I will do my best to answer them.
    Christopher Hutchins

#11 11 years ago

How do you deal with insert wear / damage?

#12 11 years ago

I am free and right there with you in spirit.What else is there to do on Friday afternoon?

#13 11 years ago

No questions.

Just thinking of the first time we met.

And how grateful I am that you shared a glimpse at the many truly wonderful pins you've restored.

I am glad so many of them got the care they deserved and went to good homes.

LTG

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from mkgort:

How do you deal with insert wear / damage?

Both those are covered pretty well in the BK2K and SOF links I posted.
    Basically I level them and repaint the borders and breakthroughs or completely strip and decal them followed by a series of clearing and sanding.Extreme cases I remove them and wet sand,then reset and clear prior to starting the process.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No questions.
    Just thinking of the first time we met.
    And how grateful I am that you shared a glimpse at the many truly wonderful pins you've restored.
    I am glad so many of them got the care they deserved and went to good homes.
    LTG

Thanks Lloyd.The pleasure was mine.Hope to cross paths again one day.

#16 11 years ago

Both those are covered pretty well in the BK2K and SOF links I posted.

Thanks. I am looking through your Banzai Run at the moment......WOW!

#17 11 years ago

What is the average cost for a high end restore on a pin that is already in fairly good shape ??

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from tpn2011:

What is the average cost for a high end restore on a pin that is already in fairly good shape ??

There are a lot of variables but in general they tend to run $5000-$7500 these days with parts and labor.

#19 11 years ago

Thanks. I was curious as to what you did for a living before pinball and how you acquired the knowledge/skill-set to do such highly skilled work? Also, what got you interested in collecting and working on pinball machines in the first place?

#20 11 years ago

Hey Chris,
    I have always wondered, on average, how long do these restores take to complete? How long did the Banzai Run Prototype take? Thanks,
    --Scott

#21 11 years ago

I think the BK2K is my favorite. Almost all of them are completely hammered. Restoring something original because you can't get reproduction or NOS parts truly shows someone's ability.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks. I was curious as to what you did for a living before pinball and how you acquired the knowledge/skill-set to do such highly skilled work? Also, what got you interested in collecting and working on pinball machines in the first place?

I was a very high end auto painter before I started doing this.
    My family has been in that industry for three generation or essentially since cars were put on the road.
    I started out as a collector in 2000 and quickly started applying my skill set and standards to my games.After I started selling one to buy another I realized the potential for making it a nice part time business to help fund the hobby itself.At some point around 2004 it became overwhelming juggling it with my full time job and our youngest son was officially diagnosed/labeled with autism so I decided to take a shot at it as a legitimate time business.The tie in with my son is that he needs a lot of hands on attention and being able to control my own hours and income help greatly .
    Like most people here I have just always enjoyed pinball.There is something about it that captivated me at an early age .

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Hey Chris,
    I have always wondered, on average, how long do these restores take to complete? How long did the Banzai Run Prototype take? Thanks,
    --Scott

On average I would say 150 -175 hours for a normal WPC game.
    Something like the Banzai Run 300-400 hours.You lose track after a while on those type of games .

#24 11 years ago

Have you ever broken anything or messed up a unique part that made you go "Oh... SHIT!"?

I wouldn't be surprised if you said no, your shop and work speak for themselves.

What's the ETA on Hercules? It's in the background of all your pics, like the behemoth it is!

#25 11 years ago

Do you make your own insert decals? And when you say decals, are you talking about the waterslide type of decals?

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

Have you ever broken anything or messed up a unique part that made you go "Oh... SHIT!"?
    I wouldn't be surprised if you said no, your shop and work speak for themselves.
    What's the ETA on Hercules? It's in the background of all your pics, like the behemoth it is!

No but I have have definitely made work for myself at times.
    Primarily in the early days.
    This is one of the reasons that I insist on doing everything myself. You have to wear a lot of hats to pull this off at a high level all the way around solo and one of the most important things you need to know is what is and what is not important as well as what you can can cannot get on any given day of the week for any certain title.As we all know that is a moving target so it goes beyond the work itself and gets into your knowledge of the hobby and current parts market.
    For example when I first started doing this full time I hired a helper .
    One day we were tearing down a FH and it was wreck so I just tore through it with little care because all was beat and being replaced.
    The next week we are tearing down a ES(at the time there was nothing available)and he is just ripping stuff off and I say "BE CAREFUL!" he says "Why we are just going to replace it all anyway"
    At times there seems to be too much info to try to impart to someone outside of the hobby.
    The Hercules is on the back burner right now as I work through my older more challenging projects.I do those type of projects as I can while the more mainstream games filter in and out.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Do you make your own insert decals? And when you say decals, are you talking about the waterslide type of decals?

No I buy or source all my decals.The insert decals I get are the ones we all have access to from various sources.Anything that is off or needs correction I do during the repainting process.

#28 11 years ago

Any advice for touching up a screened playfield? I have a Amazon Hunt that is down to the wood in spots. I don't know if it can be done.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Any advice for touching up a screened playfield? I have a Amazon Hunt that is down to the wood in spots. I don't know if it can be done.

Repainting and clear is the only method I know and trust.
    Are dithered areas a concern?

#30 11 years ago

I was a very high end auto painter before I started doing this.

If I had to guess what you did previously, this would have been my exact guess based on watching your videos. You obviously know how to do paint prep and how to use a spray gun.

#31 11 years ago

Does clearing the cab protect against future sun fade? Not that someone would put a HEP game in the sun.

Also, do you clear the inside of the cabs to make them easier to clean coil dust later?

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Does clearing the cab protect against future sun fade? Not that someone would put a HEP game in the sun.
    Also, do you clear the inside of the cabs to make them easier to clean coil dust later?

Auto clear does have UV ray inhibitors so there is a level of protection since it is primarily designed for cars that spend most of their lives outdoors.
    I do not clear over decals though so it only applies to my painted cabinets.
    I use the same process and materials inside as I do on the outside so yes but I typically use a matte style clear on my cabinets depending on what effect I am after.

#33 11 years ago

No question, just a hello.

#34 11 years ago

I am not only amazed at the quality of work, but also the number of pin restorations that you crank out while also photo documenting, answering the phone, replying to emails, and not getting burnt out. How many games do you average a year?

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

I am not only amazed at the quality of work, but also the number of pin restorations that you crank out while also photo documenting, answering the phone, replying to emails, and not getting burnt out. How many games do you average a year?

Thanks.I do 24 to 30 a year.Some years less some years a little more.These days less because the games are wrecked and I take in some pretty challenging projects.

#36 11 years ago

Dr_Gonzo said:Any advice for touching up a screened playfield? I have a Amazon Hunt that is down to the wood in spots. I don't know if it can be done.

I have some touch up to do on a dithered area on a Who Dunnit? Any tips for that?

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarozi:

High_End_Pins said:Dr_Gonzo said:Any advice for touching up a screened playfield? I have a Amazon Hunt that is down to the wood in spots. I don't know if it can be done.
    I have some touch up to do on a dithered area on a WHO dunnit? Any tips for that?

It is tough.No matter what you can't duplicate it exactly but with some practice you could hopefully get some nice natural looking color transitions.That is basically all the dithering is but since it is done with a screen it makes the pattern more blotted and uniform looking.
    If you are doing a color transition in order to duplicated what looks like 2 or 3 colors of screened dithering it will likely take 6 paint colors or so and they will be the main colors and then combinations of the main colors mixed together and sprayed in series to gradually step from one color into the next without an obvious stopping and starting point.Your overspray patterns and colors then become your dithering.
    This is one of the toughest things to pull off so it is hard to be real specific it is something you will have to work on.

#38 11 years ago

What would you do to fix an insert that isn't being reproduced? For example, I have a RFM that the hotdog shaped insert is melted beyond repair.

How would you fix that?

#39 11 years ago

You buying X-Men?

#40 11 years ago

Hi Chris. Just curious how you figure out how far you can sand (i.e. how much clear is left) before you start cutting back into the paint.

#41 11 years ago

What pins are in your personal collection?

#42 11 years ago

Chris, what media and additives are you using in your tumblers? Thanks. Wally

#43 11 years ago

High_End_Pins said:
    This is one of the toughest things to pull off so it is hard to be real specific it is something you will have to work on.

Thanks for that, figured there was no magic bullet. My plan was to just get the base color close, then use a toothpick to dot in the dither. It's a relatively small area. Thanks again.

#44 11 years ago

What an excellent thread! Thanks Chris

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rick471:

What would you do to fix an insert that isn't being reproduced? For example, I have a RFM that the hotdog shaped insert is melted beyond repair.
    How would you fix that?

About the only thing you can do is pull one from another playfield.Sometimes there are other playfields that use the same insert but a different color.I have a STTNG that needs three new teal green shield inserts .I keep my eyes open for a trashed one to steal them from another option is to pull some Return to Battle inserts from my trashed AFM playfields and live with red.
    Not ideal but the point is anything can be salvaged instead of trashed.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

What pins are in your personal collection?

No pins in the collection anymore for me.I do buy one every so often and kick it around here at the house but my real love of the hobby is the restoration process .

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from wallybgood:

Chris, what media and additives are you using in your tumblers? Thanks. Wally

I use crushed walnet shells and Flitz additive in my smaller tumblers and large corn cob in my big tumblers.

#49 11 years ago

Thanks again for answering questions and posting the photos - always a great reference for what a game should look like when buying, selling or working on something.

#50 11 years ago

Hey Chris, I'm in the begining stages of a restore on a Pinbot and while I've CC a few PF I haven't done any cabinets yet but plan on it for this one. What recomondations would you give for this type of cabinet?

P.S. My Family is also in the Body Shop business and pinball restoring has become my hobby lately, I would love to be able to make a living at one day like yourself.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/since-i-am-stuck-in-front-of-the-computer-today-fixing-the-gallery and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.