(Topic ID: 202845)

Since everyone loves a good game pickup story...

By LesManley

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

$128.00 598cf9fe792a0_image (resized).jpg
82085903-80BD-45B9-87AB-4CB7B3B59120 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3674 (resized).JPG
IMAG8878 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

...I thought I would share what happened to me last night and this morning. Sherman set the way back machine to 2 weeks ago...

I was doing yard cleanup around the house. For a few years now I have been trimming the Amazon jungle the previous owner had here, tree limbs, bushes, brush and trying to get it under control. House was bank owned for over a year before we bought it and it had gotten out of control. I've been piling it up in the backyard and it finally got to be to the point that I had to get rid of it since the pile had gotten too big. I didn't have a way to haul it conveniently, so I went online and found junk removal company and contacted them. They said they can do yard waste removal, so they came over the next morning. They did a great job at a nice price and it was all gone, I was happy. I was making small talk with them and asked if they ever got called to haul away cool stuff and they said not really. I brought up that I like pinball machines and arcade games and they said they had never seen any of those on a call, but he would keep me in mind if he did. Not too encouraging but I always like to network anyway. They went on their way and I forgot about it. Fast forward to last night, I get a text from the junk removal guy and he says they just picked up a pinball machine and was I interested? I couldn't believe it, I never thought I would hear from him again...certainly not in the next 2 weeks. I start getting delusions of grandeur seeing pics of a Cactus Canyon or some other pricey game of course. He sends over pictures and it isn't a grand slam by any means, but a solid single. They picked up a 1976 Buccaneer. It's dirty, broken rubbers and broken sling plastics, but it's all there. They don't even know how to turn it on. I call him and we talk. I explain that this game isn't super valuable, especially in this condition to temper their expectations. I offer to come out to him and see it the next day and he says he will bring it to me...nice! They got here this morning and dropped it off. Backglass is really nice, it has the coin box, minimal playfield ware. It looks all there at first glance, just dirty. I have the legs, I just didn't put them on yet. We agree on a price and they tore outta here so I think they were happy. Before they left I made sure to let them know that other games that they might find could be worth more to make sure to keep their interest and they said they would let me know if they come across anything else.

When they left I plugged it in and turned it on (they didn't know where the power button was) and it lights up, score reels reset, credits up and kicks a ball over to the shooter lane. I plunged one ball and I didn't get any sound, pop bumper action or roll over action so I'll have to look into that. I'm not a great EM mind, but I'll clean it up and probably bang on it for a little while and then move it on. Overall, not too bad and a cool story to boot. Hopefully I hear from them again in the future.

IMAG8878 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Nice find, I always give my business card to people who do house calls for repairs or stuff like HVAC. Hasn't worked out yet, but I tell them they will get referral cash if I get a machine they pass along the info for.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Nice find, I always give my business card to people who do house calls for repairs or stuff like HVAC. Hasn't worked out yet, but I tell them they will get referral cash if I get a machine they pass along the info for.

That's a good idea

#4 2 years ago

Nice pick up. Doesn't look bad. Why can't these stories happen to me, just once. Actually isn't a bad game. Love the wedgeheads

#5 2 years ago

I own a garage door installation/repair company. I have been doing this for 30 years, I am amazed that in all those garages (sometimes 6-8 homes each day) I have only seen 1 pinball machine ( a beat up viking).
I always dream of someone letting me in their garage and I find a gem, but not yet.

#6 2 years ago

Cool story. I asked what you end up paying for it?

#7 2 years ago

That is a cool story.

I teach school and start every year with a I collect pinball machines story.

I have bought several machines from kids parents or relatives. One time I ended up with a truck load of playfields, coin doors, legs, tons of parts and a bunch of NOS parts... CV, TOM, JD ramps still in the NOS packaging. The kid sent me down some country road for like 20 miles. When I finally got there the guy was just going to give me all the stuff if I’d get it out of his garage. He said it was all there when he moved in. I gave him $20 to help me load it and he was pumped up. Said I just bought his beer for the night lol.

#8 2 years ago

Sweet find! Dang jmountjoy111 That's pretty sweet too!

#9 2 years ago

Nice story! I like when people on the street are your eyes and ears...

Something similar happened to me. I was out doing yard work too when a pick-up truck pulling a trailer pulled in. A guy gets out and says he knows my wife from work and remembered from conversations with her that I'm into pinball. He was just at a garage sale and picked up a pinball and wanted to know if I was interested in buying it. He shows me a project Gottlieb Magnoton. Worked out a deal right there and he was off. So I posted on FB if anyone was interested in a project game and literally within 5 minutes had someone come and pick it up. All I did was move it 20 feet from where I bought it to where I sold it. Quick and easy.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

That is a cool story.
I teach school and start every year with a I collect pinball machines story.

I do the same thing as I introduce myself....even show a few pictures. I've been teaching 15 years and have yet to make a deal that way!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

I do the same thing as I introduce myself....even show a few pictures. I've been teaching 15 years and have yet to make a deal that way!

I figure it is always worth a shot. I picked up a flash, space shuttle, a Grand Prix, that hoard of parts.... I found a gladiators but haven’t been able to come together on a price with the owner yet too. I also found a pac man, ms Pac-Man, and a space invaders arcade but I am not much into video arcade machines so I didn’t buy them.

Tying it back to the original post the space shuttle was bought from a guy who did just what the op described. He cleared and hauled away basically anything people wanted. Super nice guy. I gave him $500 for the space shuttle He got paid to take lol. I’m sure he will be calling me back if he finds more just as I am sure the op will receive a call in the future

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I own a garage door installation/repair company.

Oh snap. I have wondered what you have been doing since your series got cancelled. I thought you just hung out in our carpenters break room.

IMG_3674 (resized).JPG

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Cool story. I asked what you end up paying for it?

$127

#14 2 years ago

What an odd number to agree on...

#15 2 years ago

Great deal at that price and condition. Buccaneer is a fun game.

Brad

#16 2 years ago

Cool Thread I love these...

#17 2 years ago

So a guy goes to pick up a TZ, and finds these guys in the room. How does this game pickup story end?

82085903-80BD-45B9-87AB-4CB7B3B59120 (resized).jpeg

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

What an odd number to agree on...

It was all the money I had on hand at the time.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It was all the money I had on hand at the time.

I'll give you $128.00 when you're ready to sell.

$128.00 598cf9fe792a0_image (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
1,188 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 160.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Lit Frames
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 26.95
$ 90.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Pinball Vault
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 11.95
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 32.00
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside