• Latest reply 14 years ago by jrrdw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

transistor_insulator.jpg
noideawhattheyrecalled.jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 14 years ago

You need a TO-3 mica insulator .. they look like this .. sorry it's an Ebay link but it's the only one I could find with a picture. We have TONS of these at work.

ebay.com link: ebay.com

You can probably buy one at Radio Shack etc .. you also usually use some heat sink compound when mounting with the insulator.

#52 14 years ago

When or if you check the electric motor shop. Ask them for some mica board or some glastick, you can just cut it yourself and put the holes you need. they will have tons of the stuff just lying around. for the amount you need they shouldn't even charge you for it.

#53 14 years ago

I already have that piece BD. I'm concerned about the actual hole the leads are going into. If they touch the side of the metal, is that going to be a problem? That plastic piece in the picture was protecting it from touching the sides, but alas I have broken it. I think the shrink tube would work if I could fine some small enough.

#54 14 years ago

Letter K Wrote: I think the shrink tube would work if I could fine some small enough.

Here is a Ebay search page with all different sizes of shrink tube, on the 1st page 2/3rds down the page is the size that should work for your immediate need. Remember this tubing shrinks to about 1/3rd it's size, (in case you haven't used it before).

#55 14 years ago

Alright! So I've learned a valuable lesson about electronics today. I put the insulation back on the board and now I'm no longer frying the transformer. of course, now the player 1, player 3, and ball count electronic displays aren't coming on, and the player 2 and 4 displays are displaying gibberish.

Could this be due to the transformer that I burned out, or have a really opened a can of worms on this machine?

My next step is to get the transformer replaced or rebuilt.

#56 14 years ago

Letter K Wrote: now the player 1, player 3, and ball count electronic displays aren't coming on, and the player 2 and 4 displays are displaying gibberish.

Did it display like that before you did the work that you did? You should print this entire thread out so you can back trace your steps. Also start keeping a note book of what your doing so you don't forget.

#57 14 years ago

LOL ... A weekend without a pinball restoration project is a weekend without purpose. So many problems and so many solutions. It's why I just love the POS machines that I get/buy to restore nobody will touch. I did get my A-Go-Go schematic today and the rollover reproduction switches (bought eight of different colors from pinball resource just because).

Troubleshooting via email/web/phone etc is difficult at best LK. We just don't always have the exact answer. As an example yesterday I found in my A-Go-Go that the 5 volts AC was just not getting from the backglass lamps to the playfield lamps. Solution: run a jumper wire instead of spending hours tracking down the break. I still have a long way to go on it but that's what's fun. I pity those people who have to buy a NIB machine to enjoy pinball.

#58 14 years ago

Thats a great point about keeping a note book ,
write down the problem and how you fixed it.
I end up looking through my book when working on similar pins a year latter.
you have to keep notes - right on

#59 14 years ago

That's good points guys, and thank you. It looks like I popped an unknown number of circuits with my insulation debacle. I'll be at this one for a while I think. Where's the best place to get these replacement ICs it looks like I need?

#60 14 years ago

My favorite places for IC's:

www.jameco.com
www.newark.com
www.mouser.com

#61 14 years ago

Sweet! I'll let you guys know how this turns out. It's going to take me a while, I'm sure. Is there any way to test circuits other than replacing them?

#62 14 years ago

As far as I know most circuits are tested with a oscilloscope. It really depends on what your testing, for instance resistors are tested with a ohms meter. You test them for there level of resistance. If you have the manufactures names and part numbers you might be able to get the data sheets on the parts, thus giving you the ranges of measurement you need for the particular parts your testing...

Electronics is a strange animal and a lot of education and experience is needed to be good at it. You might want want to enlist in a experienced pinball mechanics help to get your boards tested. Getting them tested will probly cost you less then trail and error + way less stress.

1 month later
#63 14 years ago

Close this thread, we finally got that damn Sinbad working last night! We changed parts, swapped boards, prayed to the Holy Earth Mother, banged the side like the Fonz and now it's finally going again.

Thanks for everyone's help. I learned a lot on this ordeal.

#64 14 years ago

Page 2 please.....

Edit: Congrats on getting it going. So the pinball party is at your house tonight, I'll bring the dancing women...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sinbad-cutting-out/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.