IMG_6542 (resized).jpg
20170617_152954 (resized).jpg
IMG_1526 (resized).JPG
51mcwi-4puL._SY400_ (resized).jpg
MV5BOTI2MzU4NjM4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTkwNzYzNTE@._V1_SX178_AL_ (resized).jpg
20170606_201619 (resized).jpg
20170606_201805 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Picking up my all present non working example next week in Chicago after Maiden. Recently purchased a nos pf and a Kruzman pf for this. Figured I'd start with the best, and here we are.
So who's got a badass Sinbah?!

#2 6 years ago

Looking forward to seeing some pics posted of your Sinbad pinball machine and killer playfield.

I don't have a Sinbad machine, but do have some of the other Gottlieb System 1 machines, so I can try to help where I can.

You may want to check out info here that covers a lot of Gottlieb early solid-state machines:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club

Keep flippin Gryszzz.

#3 6 years ago

I haven't unboxed either pf yet. Waiting on machine. Then we'll get down to business.
The row of Sinbads at Expo last year put me one toke over the line...had to have one.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks Mike! Can't wait to bug the shit outta ya.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

one toke over the line

I thought that's where you always started.

#6 6 years ago

As an homage to Stern marketing, I am going to do this pf reveal with bad pics and complete lack of thought.
20170606_201805 (resized).jpg20170606_201805 (resized).jpg
20170606_201619 (resized).jpg20170606_201619 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Nobody builds a box like Kruzman.
I mean fu¢king nobody.

#8 6 years ago

Only 6 days until the reveal guys!
Can you feel the excitement?!

#9 6 years ago

Can I have dibs on the playfield you don't use?

#10 6 years ago

Well TXJay even my kids know please and thank you.
You know you got 1st dibs. But price will not be what I paid.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The row of Sinbads at Expo last year put me one toke over the line...had to have one.

Apologies for quoting myself, but that's not really true. It was the 2014 Louisville Arcade Expo. Not too far from the long lines on the A titles I discovered Sinbah. No lines. Was a defining moment for me.
Light that sword up!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Apologies for quoting myself, but that's not really true. It was the 2014 Louisville Arcade Expo. Not too far from the long lines on the A titles I discovered Sinbah. No lines. Was a defining moment for me.
Light that sword up!

Haven't played a Sinbad since they were new in the arcades. I have Buck Rogers and Close Encounters so Sinbad will complete my childhood favorite collection. Wouldn't mind a Dragon either but that's as far as I go with the system 1.

#13 6 years ago

MV5BOTI2MzU4NjM4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTkwNzYzNTE@._V1_SX178_AL_ (resized).jpgMV5BOTI2MzU4NjM4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTkwNzYzNTE@._V1_SX178_AL_ (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

51mcwi-4puL._SY400_ (resized).jpg51mcwi-4puL._SY400_ (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Official Club video. These dudes are obviously on the hunt to play some Sinbad.

#16 6 years ago

Gottliebs best selling game of all time im in da club

IMG_1526 (resized).JPGIMG_1526 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago

In. Da. Club.

#18 6 years ago

So...am I gonna have to practice my manners twice a day and dust off my checkbook, if I can find it? Looks like Mr. Steve Young is the Gottlieb go-to guy. I like old-school. Think we'll get along just fine.

#19 6 years ago

Didn't know it was their best seller. Awesome. Guess this thread is getting ready to blow up like the SW thread then here in a minute.

#20 6 years ago

One thing I am wondering about is the bb repaint. How does one go about recreating that amazing og somewhat intricate paint job? Not in a hurry on this but this question stands out for me.

#21 6 years ago

Sorry, not really backbox. The speckled orange trim around backglass. That paint job. Is awesome.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Sorry, not really backbox. The speckled orange trim around backglass. That paint job. Is awesome.

The colors on this game are awesome! In fact, every system 1 seems to have great colors, but the orange and magenta really look great on the cab!

#23 6 years ago

Time to make the donuts.
20170617_152954 (resized).jpg20170617_152954 (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago

Sanding that trim around the bb is gonna be a bitch.

#25 6 years ago

Righty ho! Got my Pascal 4-in-1 board ordered. So where do you guys buy yer System 1 parts? PBR? Bay Area?

#26 6 years ago

Also wondering who might sell stencils for this? I believe I have an old paint gun. Is that the recommended way to repaint cab? Guessing yes... hope that old pos still works.

#27 6 years ago

Look, I know I can Google most of my dumb questions. I just prefer a personal experience over generic interweb suggestions. Chris told me Pimp for the stencils...kinda what I figured. When I pick up my Hog tomorrow he'll be takin Sinbad home...he wants something to work on. Gotcha buddy,... gotcha.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

So where do you guys buy yer System 1 parts?

Most parts that I bought for my Gottlieb pinball machines I got from The Pinball Resource.
Both Gottlieb e-m's and early solid state models.
Except that solid state electronic boards I may have gotten some from other suppliers and some from PBR. Don't remember.
It is always good to check PBR to see what they have.

My '79 Gottlieb Pinball Pool machine has been a smooth running tank for me.
As in keeps working, no major malfunctions for 5 or 6 years.
Which includes putting it in the free-play area at Texas Pinball Festival for 4 years, at Hou Arcade & Pinball Expo for 2 years, and at a LA State Championship pinball tournament one year.
Just a good old basic early solid state pinball machine with a lot of drop targets.

I can't help you w/ repainting cabinets.

#29 6 years ago

So. I do have to practice my manners twice a day and dig out my checkbook.

1 week later
#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Righty ho! Got my Pascal 4-in-1 board ordered. So where do you guys buy yer System 1 parts? PBR? Bay Area?

Once I get my playfield sorted out I have a Pascal 4x1 to install as well. I've been debating repinning the connectors while I work on the playfield, but I'll probably just take my chances.

I've already replaced fuses, added more fuses (from the Pinrepair.com sys1 guide), rebuilt all 4 flippers, replaced pop bumper coils, and have all new rubber and LEDs to install. Whew. I just hope it works!

#31 6 years ago

What is the opinion on replacing the plastic playfield posts? Sinbad uses a white 1" post, but I wonder if it would look better with some of the semi-retired colored posts?

Is this a terrible thing to do, or best to keep it original in your opinion?

I would really like orange/Amber, but since Sinbad needs two of their "siamese" double posts and I can only find them in clear or red, not sure those would look as good.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Marco for most stuff for me. Good prices, fast shipping, easy PayPal.

Odds n ends from flippers.com and cointaker and a couple of others.

8 months later
#33 6 years ago

My year-long resto is done! And I can now finally play my four-flipper, fantasy-themed Gottlieb based on what was going to be the best movie of 1977 (there was some other movie that summer that apparently stole all of its thunder).

Most of the major and minor things that can be done were made (additional fuses, repinning, flipper rebuild, Pascal P1-X4 board, etc...) but the most obvious was the restoration of the playfield and few cosmetic mods of my own to the playfield.

IMG_6542 (resized).jpgIMG_6542 (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago

One of the mods was painting the siderails. The wood laminate was a bit worn, and rather than fixing that with more wood rails, I decided to paint them a gloss black, which I think really helps make the playfield art 'pop' a lot more.

IMG_6545 (resized).jpgIMG_6545 (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

Another mod was swapping out the stock pop bumpers with yellow w/black rings pop and yellow covers and an orange skirt. I think this is a better match for the theme, although obviously, not original.

IMG_6536 (resized).jpgIMG_6536 (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago

I also went with translucent posts and orange silicon rings from Titan pinball. A lot of orange on this machine, and the orange rings really look nice, especially on the flippers themselves - which I didn't expect.

I also have some blue lane guides (instead of stock yellow) I am experimenting with. These don't work that well right now, I think mostly because the blue LED I had on hand is the wrong color blue and looks like a purple. I may try a teal to match the 'aqua-blue' on the playfield better.

All my plastics are pretty warped and mostly cracked at corners, and the plastic over the yellow drop targets isn't even from a Sinbad, so that will probably be my next (and final?) purchase on this restore.

IMG_6534 (resized).jpgIMG_6534 (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago

One more thing....when I won this machine off a blind auction a year ago, all three boards in the backbox were missing, so I had to replace them, and going to a Pascal P1-X4 was the best solution, although not a cheap one. So I can't compare this game to a standard board or the original features, but I love the Pascal and if I get another System 1, I would definetly spend the $300 for a Pascal board. I love the 'attract mode', skill shot, and other features - it really makes this a fun game to play!

5 years later
#38 3 months ago

I realize I'm bumping an old thread, but I thought this would be a good place to ask. I have a Sinbad that came with a stripped playfield. It's missing all its posts, and I'm not sure what size was original. were they 1 inch posts? Taller?
Thanks!

#39 3 months ago

My game has the original milky white posts. I took one off and measured, exactly 1" tall. If you want to stay original, it's the very first post on this page, in opaque white: https://www.pbresource.com/posts.html

You'll also need two "siamese" posts, one on each side of the spinner, third one down on the same webpage. Looks like they're out of white, but they have clear.

#40 3 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

My game has the original milky white posts. I took one off and measured, exactly 1" tall. If you want to stay original, it's the very first post on this page, in opaque white: https://www.pbresource.com/posts.html
You'll also need two "siamese" posts, one on each side of the spinner, third one down on the same webpage. Looks like they're out of white, but they have clear.

Thank you so much for the confirmation! I appreciate it. I had ordered a bunch of 1 inch star posts to use, but when they arrived I thought they looked off (height wise) for some reason, so I thought I'd double check. I appreciate you doing that for me. Cheers

#41 3 months ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Thank you so much for the confirmation! I appreciate it. I had ordered a bunch of 1 inch star posts to use, but when they arrived I thought they looked off (height wise) for some reason, so I thought I'd double check. I appreciate you doing that for me. Cheers

from the manual

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#42 89 days ago

Thanks everyone for their help with the posts, I appreciate it. I had even looked in the manual, but completely missed it some how.
Not to be a pain, but another quick question. My playfield didn't come with any of the necessary post studs. I'm looking at putting a marco order in soon, would anyone happen to know which post studs I need? Not sure of the proper size, and also how many would be screw base and how many would be bolt/t-nut based. Any help would be awesome. I tried to look in the manual, but couldn't find the post studs listed anywhere.

#43 89 days ago

Thanks everyone for their help with the posts, I appreciate it. I had even looked in the manual, but completely missed it some how.
Not to be a pain, but another quick question. My playfield didn't come with any of the necessary post studs. I'm looking at putting a marco order in soon, would anyone happen to know which post studs I need? Not sure of the proper size, and also how many would be screw base and how many would be bolt/t-nut based. Any help would be awesome. I tried to look in the manual, but couldn't find the post studs listed anywhere.

I don't see any t-nut spots on the bottom of my playfield (unpopulated atm), I'm pretty sure all would be screw base originally. gottlieb at the time also used those nuts on top that make their own threads, so this post would be the correct/original one: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-8857

on the Gottliebs I've redone I replace those with a 6-32 screw top post and put regular nuts (lots of options) on them.

#44 89 days ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I don't see any t-nut spots on the bottom of my playfield (unpopulated atm), I'm pretty sure all would be screw base originally. gottlieb at the time also used those nuts on top that make their own threads, so this post would be the correct/original one: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-8857
on the Gottliebs I've redone I replace those with a 6-32 screw top post and put regular nuts (lots of options) on them.

Thanks!
I went onto the Marco site, but it looks like they are out of the 6-32 x 1-7/8 screw based posts with screw top post sadly. Shipping to Canada is expensive so it would've been nice to add them to the package, but oh well. At least I now know what to aim for post wise. Thanks for your help!

Edit:
they have the 6-32 x 2 screw base with screw top in stock. It's 1/8 longer, do you know where that extra 1/8 is? is it on the screw top, or the middle shaft, or screw base? I'm thinking I might try and make this work.

#45 89 days ago

Thanks!
I went onto the Marco site, but it looks like they are out of the 6-32 x 1-7/8 screw based posts with screw top post sadly. Shipping to Canada is expensive so it would've been nice to add them to the package, but oh well. At least I now know what to aim for post wise. Thanks for your help!
Edit:
they have the 6-32 x 2 screw base with screw top in stock. It's 1/8 longer, do you know where that extra 1/8 is? is it on the screw top, or the middle shaft, or screw base? I'm thinking I might try and make this work.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5010-02 this one?

it looks to have a longer 6-32 threaded part on top, but hard to say for certain. if you shoot them an e-mail they could maybe tell you.

3 weeks later
#46 62 days ago

Only been 5 years, almost ready to start on this Sinbad.

1 month later
#47 11 days ago

I have bought another one... not pretty but it plays!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sinbad-club?hl=quinntopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.