• Latest reply 4 years ago by Red1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I finally made it back to working on my Sinbad pinball. I was looking at the voltages on the A2P1 connector that feeds the bottom panel power to the power supply. Here is the break out.
Pin1 11.77v
pin2 11.78v
pin3 gnd
pin4 14.17v
pin5 4.32v
pin6 70v
pin7 70v

Looking at the schematic pin5 should be 14v. Does this mean I need a new large transformer? I have check all the fuses and the bridge rectifiers as well and they all look good.

Thanks for the help.

#2 4 years ago

Those values come from the small transformer. But the fact you have values makes it seem like the transformer is fine. The best things to check are the fuse clips and crimps on that connector. I had a low value on a system 80 due to a tarnished loose fuse clip

Could also be a bridge is failing on one side.

here's a checklist for testing from the bottom board to the power supply
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NV3NaXS6d696csiFSRcvi900dFwyPZSgFZfkDUwaZ4U/edit?usp=sharing

#3 4 years ago

Thank you for the help now I know where to focus my attention.

#4 4 years ago

Made a little progress.
A2J1 connector (Sorry I said A2P1 and I was wrong)
Pins 1-5 come straight off the small transformer with no fuse or bridge.
Pins 6-7 use fuse 69V 1/2 slow blow.

I pulled all the fuses except the main power fuse and tested to see if I was still getting voltage to pins 1-5 and yes they are the same as above. Pin 6-7 of course was not giving proper voltage since I pulled the fuse. After putting the fuse for the 69V it tested good.

First question what am I missing or doing wrong and can a transformer go out on just one leg?
second does anyone have a test guide for testing the small transformer?

Thanks!

#5 4 years ago

refreshed my memory with the schematic, yeah only 1 fuse.

These voltages coming to A2J1 are all AC. You can measure from
Red 1, Black 3 ~14VAC
Red 2, Black 3 ~12VAC
Red 4, Black 3 ~12VAC
Red 5, Black 3 ~14VAC

Or you can measure from 1 to 5 ~28VAC and 2 to 3 ~24VAC.

Ideally you can measure these voltages straight off the small transformer since there's nothing in the way except the fuse on A2J1-6.
For the transformer measure from 3 to 7 ~28VAC and 4 to 6 ~24VAC. Or you can measure each to #5 for half of the value. Note some may be negative depending on the direction you measure.

Usually a bad transformer has some evidence of damage. When you get the the values you need make sure and protect this hard to find small transformer thusly: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Recommended_Fuses_to_Install_to_Protect_the_Small_Transformer

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 4 years ago

Yes sir same as the connector A2J1-5. If I test straight at the transformer I am getting 4.35 on 3 and 14.17 on 7. Its just that one leg of the transformer that is reading bad.

I have been reading and it sounds like their is no real good replacement. I do have a px1-4 board for this system but without the small transformer it sounds like no one has a real work around.

1 month later
#8 4 years ago

Cheddar Thank you for the help. I found a small transformer and it fixed the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sinbad-bad-large-transformer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.