Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Travish
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you hear when there's a simulated replay knock through speakers?”

• Knock 6 votes
      11%
    • Screech 43 votes
      80%
    • It depends on the game 5 votes
      9%

(54 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E92848AB-362F-4BBA-B31A-CD6FDACAD9D0 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I've always wondered what games people were referring to when they talked about a screech for the replay sound effect. But eventually realized they just hear something different than what I experience. Some simulated knocks are better than others, but I always hear a knock. So, is this a yanny/laurel thing?

What do you hear?

#2 5 years ago

In my stern i always heard a strange combination of screechknock dont know how to describe best.
    Annyway i hate that sound.
    I love an oldschool knock but wonder why on new games they don't just make a voice call out verry verry loud REPLAY kinda like extra ball or multiball jackpot callouts?
    The screechknock is like fingernails on a school chalk board my friend once said.

#3 5 years ago

A solenoid fired knocker is part of the basic ingredients for me. Without that, it’s not really pinball.

#4 5 years ago

I hear that screech, and I hate it.

A replay callout with its own <insert manufacturer here> sound would be a lot better.

#5 5 years ago

Used to bug me but don't care at all anymore.
    But if you must know I hear the crack of a video game bat hitting a ball.

#6 5 years ago
    E92848AB-362F-4BBA-B31A-CD6FDACAD9D0 (resized).jpegE92848AB-362F-4BBA-B31A-CD6FDACAD9D0 (resized).jpeg
    #7 5 years ago

Sounds like a rapidly spinning tire/rubber being stopped really fast by a still object. Like when you speed up a rotary tool and press too hard and stop it or something.

#8 5 years ago

I hear a constipated monkey fart.

#9 5 years ago

They always sound like a mistake to me. Like a speaker pop or when a digital music file glitches.

#10 5 years ago

kinda like a electronic burp

#11 5 years ago

we have often joked that it sounds like it is yelling "qeeeeeuuuuuufffff!"

always called Stern knockers "queffers"

#12 5 years ago

Put a damn knocker in your games Gary Stern. That Godawful screech sucks big time.

#13 5 years ago

A small dog being run over by a large truck that locked up its brakes but couldnt stop in time.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

Put a damn knocker in your games Gary Stern. That Godawful screech sucks big time.

Even though I hear a knock, and in some games it's not bad, it still doesn't compare to a mechanical knocker. I'm disappointed unless I wince when I hear the knock, and the simulated one doesn't do it.

Stern restored the service rails and leg brackets, so maybe there's hope. At the very least, put it back in premium and LEs!

Or at the very very least, just have a plug that -only- requires the coil. I hate that you have to mess with a step-up board to do-it-yourself.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Even though I hear a knock, and in some games it's not bad, it still doesn't compare to a mechanical knocker. I'm disappointed unless I wince when I hear the knock, and the simulated one doesn't do it.
    Stern restored the service rails and leg brackets, so maybe there's hope. At the very least, put it back in premium and LEs!
    Or at the very very least, just have a plug that -only- requires the coil. I hate that you have to mess with a step-up board to do-it-yourself.

Pinball life sells knockers for all stern games.

#17 5 years ago

I disable the knocker on my games, don't wanna hear any knocking - real or digital. But I hear knocking sound on the simulated ones.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Pinball life sells knockers for all stern games.

I know, I've also bought parts and hacked together my own. I just think it's an intrinsic part of pinball that should never have been removed.

#19 5 years ago

For me, pinball without a physical knocker is like a sundae without the toppings or the cherry on top...

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

For me, pinball without a physical knocker is like a sundae without the toppings or the cherry on top...

Stern: Sundaes are cheaper for us to make without including the cherry and you will buy them anyways.

#21 5 years ago

Sounds like saving $2 to me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simulated-knock-what-do-you-hear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.