• Stern Jurassic Park Pro 95 votes
    56%

(170 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1581125376856 (resized).jpg
SIMP (resized).jpg
side by side (resized).png

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Another fun and simple question, The Simpsons Pinball Party or Stern Jurassic Park Pro. Both cost the same in the market around now, both are amazingly fun, and both could be easily moved when my Rick and Morty is ready.
Positives for both:
• Amazing themes
• One of my kids is obsessed with dinosaurs and they both love the Simpsons, the pin is mostly for me but it would still look good in the basement.
• Deep rulesets on highly regarded machines
• 3+ flipper games
• I can’t help modding my machine with crappy little toys and both machines are perfect for this
Positives for Jurassic Park
• It’s new and the code is still developing
• The Data East Jurassic Park was my favorite machine for a long time, I loved the dinosaur eating the ball (but it’s not on the pro)
• Full motion video gets a point.
• The sound package in this is way better than the Simpsons
• Unique layout
• My middle kid would play this
Positives for the Simpsons
• I’ll never beat it
• My oldest kid will play this one more
• I’ll never learn everything there is to do on it.
• Playfield toys gets the point
• Playfield art gets the point
• Cabinet art gets the point
All in all both are amazing games I’d love to have. I’m not in the market for one just yet (I have about 2 months of pinball projects to finish first) but wanted to hear the crowd consensus on this one. Neither would not be forever pins and would probably only stay 6 months, but I really like both and have some extra pin money I’d rather have in pins that in cash. This would be in a lineup next to ST:TNG, an arcade, and replace either Whirlwind, High Speed, or Taxi.

side by side (resized).pngside by side (resized).png

#2 4 years ago

Simpson’s is the game everyone regrets selling. Compared to the jp pro it’s a no brained getting Simpson’s. Now if you compare a premium jp it’s a toss up on theme preference imo

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Simpson’s is the game everyone regrets selling. Compared to the jp pro it’s a no brained getting Simpson’s. Now if you compare a premium jp it’s a toss up on theme preference imo

Totally agree on the JP Premium and it would definitely put it over the top, but it's in a different price band.

Edit: Going strictly off of pinside ratings it's JP Premium, TSPP, JP Pro

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Edit: Going strictly off of pinside ratings it's JP Premium, TSPP, JP Pro

I wouldn’t worry too much about the ratings - they’re subjective anyway, but JP is also a pretty new game so its ratings probably haven’t quite settled down to where they’ll sit longer-term.

#5 4 years ago

How is the sound package of JP better than Simpsons? I'm not sure who is doing the callouts of JP, but Simpsons has the main actors. To be fair I can't hear the JP music at the bar.

#6 4 years ago

You like to move games. So I would start with TSPP and then get JP down the road when code is hopefully even better than it is now and prices may have dropped. TSPP code is obvs done and prices are stable. Who knows what the future is for JP but it seems unlikely to go up bc there are plenty available.

I know this is not the optimal way to look at your decision, but again in your case, I think it’s at least a little relevant.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

How is the sound package of JP better than Simpsons? I'm not sure who is doing the callouts of JP, but Simpsons has the main actors. To be fair I can't hear the JP music at the bar.

I've only ever played the TSPP at MOM's in College Park MD, but the sound on that always really bothered me. The callouts and music are great, but that game (along with the Twilight Zone) always seemed to have poor sound. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, but it always sounded overly compressed like downloaded music in more compressed formats at lower bitrates sounded off of Napster back in the day.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

You like to move games. So I would start with TSPP and then get JP down the road when code is hopefully even better than it is now and prices may have dropped. TSPP code is obvs done and prices are stable. Who knows what the future is for JP but it seems unlikely to go up bc there are plenty available.
I know this is not the optimal way to look at your decision, but again in your case, I think it’s at least a little relevant.

Excellent points. The Simpsons is great, and JP will only get better. I am price conscious after my own fashion, and you are right that TSPP is likely the better "pinvestment".

#9 4 years ago

Buy whichever you can find close by, play it, have fun, then trade later. I recently picked up a used JP pro for $4500

#10 4 years ago

JP all the way. Better game all around.

#11 4 years ago

The TSPP at moms is terrible. It’s dirty, dim, and the flippers are weak. You are lucky if you can make the couch shot. It sucks. I refuse to play it. If you want to play one that is clean, led’d, and everything works like it should, give me a shout and come play mine. Completely different experience. Mìke.

#12 4 years ago

I bought a TSPP NIB and owned it for a few years. It's an awesome game with super deep code. It's depth even surpasses LOTR which I also used to own. The problem with both of these machines, at least for me is that game times once you get good at them is super long. We're talking anywhere from 30-60 minutes on average. My top Simpsons score is 303 million and that game was about 75 minutes! I'd pick JP Pro because it's also an awesome game but doesn't feel like so much work to play and you don't have to schedule time out of your day to play it.

#13 4 years ago

Personally I'm about to sell my TSPP to fund a JP Premium but I've had it for 6 years. Both are amazing games so you cant go wrong.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Buy whichever you can find close by, play it, have fun, then trade later. I recently picked up a used JP pro for $4500

I take it routed for that price and or one with potential playfield issues from the first batch of pros? Newer build mint HUO resale is at least $5k or higher.

#15 4 years ago
SIMP (resized).jpgSIMP (resized).jpg
#16 4 years ago

TSPP. If Jurassic park was premium, that would be different.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Damn, I thought mine for $4700 was a good deal.

#18 4 years ago

I'm like the only person in the world that does not like TSPP. JP!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Sold it, never regretted it. Ball times were to long for me.

#20 4 years ago

TSPP

JP Pros just look cheap (without the main gimics on the playfield) and the art package on JP looks like a color your own placemat to me.
The kind you find at a Pizza Buffet.

You know, with a mason jar of Crayons on the table, next to the Parm shaker.

Plus, it seems there are a lot of people who buy the Pro who then seem pretty eager to upgrade to the premium. I think JP Pros will be pretty affordable by the time they finalize the code.

#21 4 years ago

Man, this one is neck and neck. At the same price TSPP edges out but if people are really getting JP Pros for $4500 that puts JP solidly in the lead. Anyone know when JPs go back on the line at Stern?

#22 4 years ago

Thinking about trading up my WCS for a JP pro. Any opinions? Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I figured it's relevant

FB_IMG_1581125376856 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1581125376856 (resized).jpg
#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Wanimal:

Thinking about trading up my WCS for a JP pro. Any opinions? Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I figured it's relevant[quoted image]

WCS is a great game and was my first pin. JP and TSPP are both way deeper that WCS. All 3 titles are family friendly fun. TSPP and JP both take much longer to play a game than WCS. TSPP and JP are both also not as approachable as WCS. On WCS everyone understands what to do, where as it is not always clear on TSPP and JP. Your WCS is probably worth about what you paid for it, but JP Pro will depreciate in the next few months. With that said, if you've made it to the World Cup Final you'd get more out of a JP Pro. My 2 cents.

#24 4 years ago

but if people are really getting JP Pros for $4500 that puts JP solidly in the lead.

I would suspect some of those bargains on JP2 pro's may have had pooling or chipping issues that the first runs had. I wouldn't count on finding one for that cheap as the norm especially with the newer runs. I was originally looking for a JP2 premium but saw some were having calibration issues or pieces falling off the T-rex so went with a pro and love it.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

I'm like the only person in the world that does not like TSPP. JP!

I don't hate it but find it hard to love. I do love the theme so feel like I should like playing it more but not so much. After a few games, I'm ready to move on. Kinda want one to explore more at home but not at current prices. JP just feels fun right out of the gate and could play it all day. Easy to figure out what to do and good balance of rules. Good flow and fun shots. Theme is not that great but gameplay is king for me. Love to know where you guys are getting $4500 pro's. I'll take one!

#26 4 years ago

I owned a TSPP in the past, it's a great game but when it comes to ball times, they are too long. Maintenance on TSPP would also be more honerous. Also careful about spending money on mods, TSPP can destroy your wallet in mods. Based on that I would say JP. TSPP is still a great game though

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I take it routed for that price and or one with potential playfield issues from the first batch of pros? Newer build mint HUO resale is at least $5k or higher.

Routed for a couple months, mint condition. I didn’t care about huo vs routed since this was for my brewery location.

#28 4 years ago

I own both JP gets played more.

#29 4 years ago

Funny, I asked myself the same question a couple weeks ago. I went with a very nice TSPP and glad I did. Thought I would wait until I can pick up a used JP premium down the road at a discount.

#30 4 years ago

I never could get into TSPP, so JP for me. Anyway you can save a few more bucks up and get a premium? The premium/LE is simply amazing.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I would suspect some of those bargains on JP2 pro's may have had pooling or chipping issues that the first runs had. I wouldn't count on finding one for that cheap as the norm especially with the newer runs. I was originally looking for a JP2 premium but saw some were having calibration issues or pieces falling off the T-rex so went with a pro and love it.

Mine was routed for like 1500 plays or something, it looks HUO. Anything under 5k plays in a well kept location won't look much different than HUO, and won't detract much from value either.

Man, this one is neck and neck. At the same price TSPP edges out but if people are really getting JP Pros for $4500 that puts JP solidly in the lead.

$4500 is probably as low as you'll get and tough to find locally, if you're patient you can probably get one for 4800 ish. Seems to be where LCD sterns are. I picked up a mint HUO GotG in November for 4600.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Sold it, never regretted it. Ball times were to long for me.

Same. Kept mine for 5 years and played it maybe once a month. Ball times to long, difficult on nearly any setting, and extremely stingy when it comes to points. Outside of that it's an absolutely outstanding game and the only reason why I kept it so long was because I have always been a major fan of the show and people play it constantly when they come over. I sold it a few months back for a new DP Pro and myself and visitors agree that it was the better choice.

#33 4 years ago

WCS is a great game and was my first pin. JP and TSPP are both way deeper that WCS. All 3 titles are family friendly fun. TSPP and JP both take much longer to play a game than WCS. TSPP and JP are both also not as approachable as WCS. On WCS everyone understands what to do, where as it is not always clear on TSPP and JP. Your WCS is probably worth about what you paid for it, but JP Pro will depreciate in the next few months. With that said, if you've made it to the World Cup Final you'd get more out of a JP Pro. My 2 cents.

Now THIS is a game that I definitely regret selling Lol. Everything about it is great in my opinion and I also think that it's one of pinballs hidden gems

#34 4 years ago

TSPP. Now,if the kids enjoy the Simpsons. If your the Dino type I would consider going with Premium and get the full effect while you are at it.
Of course when it’s right for you financially. I just think for the money, fun factor, yes long ball times are there, go with TSPP. More bang for the buck with playability and depth for at least 6 months of use .They’ll be plenty JP pros when “next” pro is released! Better pricing too I’m sure for second hand machines. Whatever you do keep that Whirlwind!

#35 4 years ago

One is going up in value, the other is coming down. My TSPP isn’t going anywhere but I couldn’t see JP lasting here more than a year. Fortunately there are a bunch on location so I don’t have to decide.

#36 4 years ago

Not selling my TSPP, but I do agree long ball times are a thing. I’ve noticed the long ball times are more of a thing when you chase the stack-modes play style. TSPP is a game where I enjoy playing with the different modes and features one at a time without giving a rats ass about score. Not sure how many games can make that happen.

#37 4 years ago

I voted for Tspp but do like JP but honestly if I was getting a newer Spike game I’d go for Iron Maiden.

#38 4 years ago

I’m not to sure on Maiden with the kid factor better safe with JP.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

I’m not to sure on Maiden with the kid factor better safe with JP.

Well, not if your kids aren't cool. No.

But a 12 year old me would have thought he had died and gone to heaven if there was an Iron Maiden Pin within 2 hours of my home!

#40 4 years ago

TSPP is one of the best coded games ever. It's all because of the great stackability.

There are so many ways to approach the game that you don't really need to suffer through a long game to be challenged and crank up the score. Stack the modes and finish them in a single ball (without draining or timing out the clock) and you'll blow up the score. Combine it with double scoring on shots and it's through the roof. This approach can only occur on a single ball. If you started several unfinished modes and drain, kiss this potentially high scoring approach goodbye.

But if you prefer depth that can also be had with several balls, TSPP still delivers beyond the TV modes. You will see modes that open up only when more accomplishments are achieved (Treehouse (crazy extra ball, Apu's Giveaway, Nuclear Disaster, Krusty spinner etc), Pretzel, Secret Stash, Alien Invasion). Heck, if you can wind the clock up to a full 60 seconds, it'll light an extra ball. So much code. It's the best of both worlds.

JP is good too, but TSPP set the standard for a non-repetitive deep home game. Sounds like the routed Simpson's you play is not a good example.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Honestly the chipping and pooling doesn't bother me that much. I'd take one at a discount any day, but feel bad for the NIB guys.

Quoted from Boat:

I owned a TSPP in the past, it's a great game but when it comes to ball times, they are too long. Maintenance on TSPP would also be more honerous. Also careful about spending money on mods, TSPP can destroy your wallet in mods. Based on that I would say JP. TSPP is still a great game though

Long ball times might be an issue. I had to open up the lanes on my Whirlwind (games were taking 30+ minutes) and the Hobbit took forever to go after a high score. Not too worried on maintenance as I seem to enjoy that sort of thing.

Quoted from FalconDriver:

TSPP. Now,if the kids enjoy the Simpsons. If your the Dino type I would consider going with Premium and get the full effect while you are at it.
Of course when it’s right for you financially. I just think for the money, fun factor, yes long ball times are there, go with TSPP. More bang for the buck with playability and depth for at least 6 months of use .They’ll be plenty JP pros when “next” pro is released! Better pricing too I’m sure for second hand machines. Whatever you do keep that Whirlwind!

But one kid loves dinos and one loves Simpsons! Which kid do I love more! I've gotten more bang for your buck out of that Whirlwind than any other Pin I've had, possibly excepting my old DE JP which is a complete ripoff of... Whirlwind.

Quoted from emkay:

One is going up in value, the other is coming down. My TSPP isn’t going anywhere but I couldn’t see JP lasting here more than a year. Fortunately there are a bunch on location so I don’t have to decide.

There are a ton of pins around me but it's a 2 hour round trip to play JP Pro for me for some reason.

Quoted from guitarded:

Well, not if your kids aren't cool. No.
But a 12 year old me would have thought he had died and gone to heaven if there was an Iron Maiden Pin within 2 hours of my home!

My 8 year old and 6 year old could care less about Maiden, and my 3 year old is scared of the artwork.

#42 4 years ago

Honestly the chipping and pooling doesn't bother me that much. I'd take one at a discount any day, but feel bad for the NIB guys.

Long ball times might be an issue. I had to open up the lanes on my Whirlwind (games were taking 30+ minutes) and the Hobbit took forever to go after a high score. Not too worried on maintenance as I seem to enjoy that sort of thing.

But one kid loves dinos and one loves Simpsons! Which kid do I love more! I've gotten more bang for your buck out of that Whirlwind than any other Pin I've had, possibly excepting my old DE JP which is a complete ripoff of... Whirlwind.

There are a ton of pins around me but it's a 2 hour round trip to play JP Pro for me for some reason.

My 8 year old and 6 year old could care less about Maiden, and my 3 year old is scared of the artwork.

My 12 yr old wouldn’t even know who they are! Eddie, who is that?

#43 4 years ago

tspp final answer

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Just my opinion, but the call outs on JP are very irritating. They reused the guy from IMdn to voice the owner of the park and he way over enunciates every word. One of the worst sound-a-likes I think I’ve ever heard. Truly grating to hear him incessantly bitch about Nedry.

Not sure if it’s the same guy, but the guy voicing the Robert Muldoon character (the hunter guy) is a really odd meld of an Aussie and South African accent. Again, really disappointing and annoying AF to listen to.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Not sure if it’s the same guy, but the guy voicing the Robert Muldoon character (the hunter guy) is a really odd meld of an Aussie and South African accent. Again, really disappointing and annoying AF to listen to.

I hate the American guy, the younger one. To me he sounds like a jock in a 90's cartoon who is overly enthusiastic about things he doesn't understand.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I hate the American guy, the younger one. To me he sounds like a jock in a 90's cartoon who is overly enthusiastic about things he doesn't understand.

I wonder what Patrick Warburton (Puddy from Seinfeld) would charge to voice a game. He's a fantastic voice actor, and would be great -- though maybe on a title with slightly more humor than JP.

#47 4 years ago

I've only played a handful of games on both of these. I do think the prem or le of JP is one of the best pinball games quite possibly ever. Love so much with that game(except the theme... I love dinos just not the Jpark movies). The pro is still an amazing game. Just I mean, that t-rex head on the Prem is the best damn toy ever(or at least one of the very best. Top 5 all time).
Love the rules, animations... And an amazing layout. I don't think you'd get bored playing the JP pro. Just so much amazing stuff to do on that game.

As for the Simpsons Pinball Party. That game is really fun. I prefer the simpsons as a theme over JPark. Its got a nice sense of humor and a good amount of modes. I think you're right about finishing all on this game. As even Bowen had trouble collecting all of Cletus' kids.
I will say. You might want to get a color DMD for this one. And then it be a wash I think between which has the better display. Don't get me wrong Jpark has amazing animations. Love the T-rex chase, and the extra ball animation(one of my all time favorites), but with a color DMD the animations for the simpsons game basically look like the show. That is why I consider it to be a wash between the two.

Either way these are both great games. I'd rather own a simpsons. But, the pro for Jpark might be cheaper than a simpsons pinball party... One last aside... The pro might be less maintenance over the simpsons. But, you really got 2 great pins to choose from.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Now THIS is a game that I definitely regret selling Lol. Everything about it is great in my opinion and I also think that it's one of pinballs hidden gems</blockquot

I might just keep it until I beat Germany.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

... The pro might be less maintenance over the simpsons. But, you really got 2 great pins to choose from.

I’ve only had my TSPP for a few months, but the only thing that I’ve had to replace was the VUK switch under the upper playfield. That’s pretty much a guarantee to go given how often it is hit.

Per the owner’s thread, it’s built like a tank - I’m inclined to believe it.

#50 4 years ago

Simpsons has been very reliable for me. It’s got so much on the PF it’s almost a throwback game to the olden days.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation
Armor and blades
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simpsons-vs-jurassic-park?hl=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.