You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F88AD29B-47CA-452C-8648-4A92F2B70EEE (resized).jpeg
C118ACF8-1D48-4889-B2A8-A382EDBE71B4 (resized).jpeg
139E5B93-05C3-48A3-BCCE-4B458F212572 (resized).jpeg

#1 61 days ago

Hey! I have had my machine for a year. And absolutely love it. In the middle of a game I noticed that the upper right flipper has stopped working. I performed the coil test and it wasn’t firing. I then noticed the attached picture which is the coil for the garage. Not the flipper. The wire was initially resting on it but the solder had broken off.
When it was completely removed I noticed the right flipper for the upper play field now stopped working too. I’m assuming all of these are related??
And I’m assuming that because this solder broke off in the middle of the game initially the upper right flipper stopped working? and then the upper right playfield stopped working? I’ve never soldered anything before. But if that one wire is responsible for both flippers stopping then I’ll have to try to solder it

139E5B93-05C3-48A3-BCCE-4B458F212572 (resized).jpegC118ACF8-1D48-4889-B2A8-A382EDBE71B4 (resized).jpeg
#2 61 days ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

I’ve never soldered anything before.

Youtube for short how to videos. Practice on scrap wire, when you can flow solder and make a solid joint, then move onto the game.

I’m assuming all of these are related??

I doubt it.

LTG : )

#3 59 days ago

Hey! I have had my machine for a year. And absolutely love it. In the middle of a game I noticed that the upper right flipper has stopped working. I performed the coil test and it wasn’t firing. I then noticed the attached picture which is the coil for the garage. Not the flipper. The wire was initially resting on it but the solder had broken off.
When it was completely removed I noticed the right flipper for the upper play field now stopped working too. I’m assuming all of these are related??
And I’m assuming that because this solder broke off in the middle of the game initially the upper right flipper stopped working? and then the upper right playfield stopped working? I’ve never soldered anything before. But if that one wire is responsible for both flippers stopping then I’ll have to try to solder it
[quoted image][quoted image]

So I successfully soldered the wire back onto the lug. And I replaced the fuse for both the upper right flipper and the upper right playfield flipper. The upper right playfield flipper works fine now. But the regular upper right flipper still does not respond. I know that the coil works because previously, before I soldered the wire back on, I tested it after replacing the fuse and it fired, stayed charged, and then blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse again, and this time soldered the wire, and now it won't fire at all. Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks

#4 59 days ago

Do you per chance have a multimeter?

#5 59 days ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

Do you per chance have a multimeter?

I think I am going to have to pick one up tomorrow. I checked the Q14 transistor on the power board and it doesn't 'look' like it is burned/damaged

#6 59 days ago

I think I am going to have to pick one up tomorrow. I checked the Q14 transistor on the power board and it doesn't 'look' like it is burned/damaged

Sounds like you are reading and figuring some some out.

The fact that the coil first energized and was stuck then now doesn’t work could still have been a short and another blown fuse, the solenoid could have been damaged (not that common in my experience), or the transistor could be bad. Voltage readings along the pathway, particularly at the flipper coil would help. Even the flipper button could have a problem and sometimes just continuity testing helps

Lloyd is amazing and he has been walking people through these things for at least 20 years I think. Maybe he will have some thoughts.

#7 58 days ago

It seems like the common denominator between all of your solenoid problems was the blue yellow wire which supplies power to the right upper field flipper and the right upper flipper. At the end of the line it then feeds the right main flipper. If there was a short between the right upper flipper and the right flipper then you might see some of the behavior you have seen. A multi meter would help you trace this out as there should be 50 V at the blue yellow wire on the right upper flipper if you measure to ground. If there is current on the power wire or leg and there is also constant current through the return wire then you might have a blown Q 13 drive transistor or you could have a short of the blublk return wire, although I not sure that would have effected the upper playfield flipper. Moreover if there is not 50 V at the top right flipper blue yellow wire then you may have had a problem with your soldering on the upper play field right flipper or a problem up there or in between

F88AD29B-47CA-452C-8648-4A92F2B70EEE (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 45.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!