Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lermods
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello, simpsons was playing fine then suddenly stopped mid game and " display version 5.0 "came on the DMD. I tried entering the menus but nothing happens. Stuck there. Any thoughts?

#2 5 years ago

Problem with the computer?
what happens when you turn it off and back on?
will it play but display stays the same?

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the reply. No, it won't play. Playfield is lit, not attract mode, but lit. Can't start a game and can't run diagnostics through the menus. Just gives same message on the DMD. So you think I need to replace CPU board?

#4 5 years ago

Check for battery leakage or acid damage.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from clutch:

Thanks for the reply. No, it won't play. Playfield is lit, not attract mode, but lit. Can't start a game and can't run diagnostics through the menus. Just gives same message on the DMD. So you think I need to replace CPU board?

might want to send it to someone for testing, and repair.
Also verify that all your fuses are good and you don't have any burnt connectors

#6 5 years ago

reseat ribbon cables and connectors from the CPU to the driver board. sounds like a signal is just not getting through. Could be a corrupted rom as well, try pulling and reseating it.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the tips. Turned it on tonight and no problem. Played for an hour without incident. Have a feeling this isn't the end of it so will take the suggested steps and hope for the best. Thanks again

1 week later
#8 5 years ago

So after working for a day or two, the problem returned. I decided to remove all cables to the boards and clean all the connections with deoxit and reseat. Did not solve the problem. Was talking to someone who suggested the batteries could be dead and that would cause it not to boot up. I always thought the batteries were just to maintain high scores. I was really hopeful that was it but after changing batteries, same deal. I then removed all fuses and tested with a Muti meter. They are all good. Now it seems to be getting worse. The display will now only flash the display version every 20 seconds or so. If I leave the machine powered up, eventually I was getting a message that said "open the door". Tonight I left it running for about ten minutes, heard a ding, then all the play field lights went out. Only the back glass is lit now. Any ideas where I should go from here?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9 5 years ago

Did you test the voltages at the test points on the MPU? I just sent my TSPP MPU out for service and am back up and running. Hadn’t had batteries in it for 8 years but nearly invisible existing alkaline damage in the traces eventually wormed their way to the Eprom and other ICs.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from clutch:

So after working for a day or two, the problem returned. I decided to remove all cables to the boards and clean all the connections with deoxit and reseat. Did not solve the problem. Was talking to someone who suggested the batteries could be dead and that would cause it not to boot up. I always thought the batteries were just to maintain high scores. I was really hopeful that was it but after changing batteries, same deal. I then removed all fuses and tested with a Muti meter. They are all good. Now it seems to be getting worse. The display will now only flash the display version every 20 seconds or so. If I leave the machine powered up, eventually I was getting a message that said "open the door". Tonight I left it running for about ten minutes, heard a ding, then all the play field lights went out. Only the back glass is lit now. Any ideas where I should go from here?

Send it out for repair, the open door message is due to you changing battery's.
Same problem I had.

1 week later
#11 5 years ago

Any update?

1 week later
#12 5 years ago

I took the suggestion that the ROM itself could be corrupted and bought a new one. Sure enough , that was it! Weird thing is, with the new ROM it takes a good 2 minutes to boot up. It has been playing fine the past week or so except for the switch under the TV is now only working about half the time. Never had an issue before putting in the new ROM. Today I played a game and switch was 100 percent not working. Seems odd that the switch was fine before but now has a problem. I pulled the upper play field out just enough to look at the solder joint and it's looks ok. Sprayed a little deoxit in it and reseated everything but same problem. Any chance the ROM has an issue or just coincidence the switch went bad at the same time?

#13 5 years ago

Will I don't think mine takes more than 10 seconds to boot, strange
and it's possible game rom could cause switch problems.
Where did you get the game rom from?
What version #, And did you change all of them with the same version?

#14 5 years ago

I had the latest version to begin with, 5.0, and replaced with the same. Bought it off a guy on eBay who sells the game and display roms as a set. Didn't do anything with the sound roms. I emailed the seller. Pretty sure he has a burner and just downloads the game code from the stern website. Is there a source that would be better? A stern issued rom?

#15 5 years ago

Could try K's arcade, or possibility Marco Specialties.

#16 5 years ago

I get mine from pinballrom.com. Dave is real easy to deal with. Used to use John Wart, but he's out of business.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 45.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 218.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simpsons-pinball-party-showing-display-version-only and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.