Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by drainking
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am traveling to replace the garage door coil on a TSPP game. I am not familiar with this process.

I assume you need to raise the upper playfield. For this replacement, which tools are needed? Is getting to the coil easy?

Anyone with experience please chime in.

#2 7 years ago

The upper playfield is so easy to remove. It's 2 or 3 connectors and 3 thumb screws.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I assume you need to raise the upper playfield.

#3 7 years ago

Yes it is easy. Lift the playfield and remove the bracket that holds the coil (two screws I believe). Cut the wires from the existing coil and and solder the wires to the new coil. Place it back into the bracket and screw the bracket to the playfield. I did it so anyone can do it.

Tools:
Nut driver (to remove bracket)
Soldering Iron & solder
New coil
Wire cutter
Possibly phillips head screw driver (for smaller bracket attached to larger bracket)

Edit: No need to raise the upper playfield as the bracket and coil are under the main playfield.

#4 7 years ago

Just an FYI. One mistake I did make when I changed out the coil was I changed the coil sleeve to the wrong one. The coil sleeve that is used must have a portion of the sleeve that fits in the bracket hole so the coil is snug. I replaced it with a sleeve that didn't have this extra length and the plunger would hit the cross bar of the garage. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try to explain it better or I can take pictures tonight.

#5 7 years ago

Great sounds easy thanks guys. Don't need pics I'll just pay attention and make sure I avoid the issue described.

#6 7 years ago

Make sure you replace with the correct coil....it was a service update I believe, they switched to a more powerful coil, I just upgraded one a few months ago.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Make sure you replace with the correct coil....it was a service update I believe, they switched to a more powerful coil, I just upgraded one a few months ago.

Yes, this is the reason I am doing this work. The game is an original 2003 run with a droopy garage door, so I am going to replace it with the more powerful coil.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, this is the reason I am doing this work. The game is an original 2003 run with a droopy garage door, so I am going to replace it with the more powerful coil.

Here is another tip for the garage door. You can put some washers on just one mounting side to adjust the angle of the plunger rod that pushes the door open. Doing this makes the garage door open slightly less, but the ball can clear under it no problem and it seems to be easier for the coil to keep the garage door propped up.

Same thing can be done for a the couch lock when it releases two balls instead of one. Take off some slope to the couch so the balls roll out slower.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Very easy fix it will not take long

1 month later
#10 7 years ago

I'm sure that this has been covered elsewhere, so I'm sorry for the question, but what coil are your using for this fix? I have a TSPP with a horribly droopy garage door (so bad that I have taken to taping it in the up position to avoid stuck balls). I need to replace my coil but have never done a coil replacement and want to ensure that I don't screw this up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 218.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simpsons-garage-coil-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.