5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jibmums
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3061 (resized).JPG
    DE Simpsons (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Is there anything that can be done about the airballs on Simpsons DE? I'm talking in particular about the bowling pins. Every couple games I have to take the glass off and fetch a ball from behind the left wireform as it gets stuck behind it. It's getting annoying.

On a related note, the rubber is doubled up behind the bowling pin targets, I'm assuming this is correct? I've looked at a couple pics online and they seem to be doubled on the ones I can see.

Thanks!
    Josh

#2 5 years ago

The guy I bought it from put a clear plastic piece that sticks out over the top of the bowling pin drop targets by about 2". Works great, never get airballs. I can take a picture of it later after work if you want to see what it looks like how it's attached.

#3 5 years ago

Yup. I agree, thats the thing to do. I do it on all games with a center target bank. eliminates the air balls 100% everytime. Once you try it, its like playing a different game. SOOOOOO much better.

Data east did it on LW3 from the factory. Same target bank same angle.

#4 5 years ago

My situation was similar when I had DE Simpsons and it had gotten to the point where it wore off the yellow paint on the wireform. In the DE Owners Club thread, and I think in 1-2 separate threads, there's lots of talk about that homemade protector. You can either try to hunt one of them down to see if they'll make you one, or if you're handy, go to HD or Lowes and they have small plastic sheets over near the lumber area. You can get a small 8"x10" and trace out some patterns you think may work and route them out. You'll have enough to make extras in the event you mess up too.

DE Simpsons (resized).jpgDE Simpsons (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

Remove the "bowling alley" plastic, rotate the metal plate you'll find underneath 180° so that it hangs over the drop targets like an awning, reinstall bowling alley plastic. This has completely eliminated all airballs on my Simpsons caused by hitting the drop targets.

You could also use the metal plate as a template to cut one out of clear sheet so it doesn't obscure the tops of the targets.

And yes, doubled rubber is correct.

#6 5 years ago

Here is the picture of my protector.

IMG_3061 (resized).JPGIMG_3061 (resized).JPG
    2 weeks later
    #7 5 years ago

Very nice! I have some lexan sheets hanging around the basement. I'll cut an "awning" out. And I too have the paint knocked off my yellow wireform. This machine airballs like crazy! But I love it.

Quoted from Parkshow30:Here is the picture of my protector.[quoted image]

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from parzval:

And I too have the paint knocked off my yellow wireform.

They all look like that after almost 30 years. When I restored my Simps I had it re-powdercoated in a golden yellow, it's such a visible piece that it made a huge aesthetic difference.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simpsons-de-airballs?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.