• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BR_DESimpsons.jpg
BR_DESimpsons.jpg
#1 11 years ago

New to the Pinball world and need some help on my DE Simpsons. Game functions perfectly, but controlled lamps do not!

Here is what I know . . . 

Here are the simple details:
1) All GI lights work perfectly
2) All Flashers work perfectly
3) NONE of the CPU controlled lighting works: No Millions, No Donuts, No Towers, No Specials, No Lanes and not even the specially controlled lighting in the backbox (although the GI lights in Backbox work fine)

Fuse F2 just above the HUGE blue capacitor blows every time I turn on the machine and I understand that this fuse IS the fuse that powers all the CPU controlled lighting.

Sure sounds like a dead short BUT where would I start? I can see the power supply wires (white, then color coded) and the returns (gray, then color coded) coming out of the CPU board (CN6 and CN7 I believe and I don't see any issues with these - no burnt connectors, etc.)

I've checked all the remaining fuses for continuity and all appear fine

Any thoughts on how this entire string/group would blow the fuse each and every time?

I checked 2 bridge rectifiers just above the large blue capacitor in the picture and the readings are below BUT I'm not even certain these rectifiers feed the CPU controlled lamps? I'm guessing that they do because they are immediately above the Fuse "F2" that powers the CPU lamps

BR1 above and left of big blue capacitor  = 14 volts
BR2 above and right of capacitor = 39.3 volts

Help!

#2 11 years ago

Is F4 on the power supply blown as well? BR 1 is above the BIG blue capacitor in the backbox. The fused blue/white wire feed BR1 with 13vac for the lamps. It comes from BR1 with a violet wire that goes to power supply connector CN 1 pin 1. This runs through F4 on the power supply. If F4 is not blown I would suspect that BR1 is shorted causing your fuse to blow.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from playpin35:

Is F4 on the power supply blown as well? BR 1 is above the BIG blue capacitor in the backbox. The fused blue/white wire feed BR1 with 13vac for the lamps. It comes from BR1 with a violet wire that goes to power supply connector CN 1 pin 1. This runs through F4 on the power supply. If F4 is not blown I would suspect that BR1 is shorted causing your fuse to blow.

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow night and report back! Thanks again for helping

1 week later
#4 11 years ago

OK, finally an update and help me please by reviewing the readings below . . . maybe I've found the problem (with all of your help!)

I checked the BR1 rectifier (in the pic) and readings (using DMM in diode mode) are as follows

Red lead of DMM to negative leg, black lead of DMM to each A/C leg gives: 001 and 001 (I think this means a short??)

Black lead of DMM to positive leg of BR and Red lead of DMM to each A/C leg gives: 460 and 460

Fuse (F2?) in the picture is blowing every time I add a new one

I think I just need to replace the BR?

Also as added info, when I picked up this machine and folded the backbox to load it both the seller and I noticed some crushed wires and stripped casing - no shorting marks or burns (they are now all securely taped) but could this have taken out the BR?

Thanks for all the help so far!

BR_DESimpsons.jpgBR_DESimpsons.jpg

1 month later
#5 11 years ago

Did a new BR fix your problem??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simpsons-data-east and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.