(Topic ID: 175426)

Simple question: is Pinball the best hobby? *Poll*

By DanQverymuch

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Overall, all things considered, is Pinball the best hobby?”

• Yes, in a truly objective way, it is the best freakin' hobby there is. 79 votes
      62%
    • No. Like other thing more. 48 votes
      38%

(127 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

838653-fabio (resized).jpg
    FabioYamahaV1sm (resized).jpg
    059a04e2d42814443d749a61a78ce1e5 (resized).jpg
    FabioYamahaV1sm (resized).jpg
    20161126_132557 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5860 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3798(1) (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20161208-223146 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 7 years ago

If i have to choose yes or no ..going with no. It is an interesting question because I got into pinball because I wanted something that was less subject to outside control or influence. I can own machines at what ever price range I deem approapriate and nobody is going to force me to insure them based on the way others play, make me register them or even ban them outright, that doesn't really make it "the best" just more suitable.
    That being said I would much prefer to be at the range or out in the field target shooting but I hate the polictical climate and wild fluctuations in prices and social acceptance.
    I really enjoy motor sports and hotrods but insurance costs and other rising prices met my self-imposed limit ... for pure enjoyment it completely eclipses pinball.

Obviously these hobbies have a much higher risk of death or injury but that is just one category in the subjective question of "which is best". For me if the rush outweighs the risk .. it is better

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

In that case, you might want to try drugs!
    Seriously, if all you or Neo are going to count is the rush, that is the quintessential definition of subjective, and a completely unconvincing argument. Thus, not objectively better. Risking death or engaging in reproductive behavior (redundant, perhaps) is not a hobby at all, it is an activity.

With drugs I would consider the risk greater than the rush. Activities involving guns or racing cars/motorcycles comes with a certain amount of risk, the key is managing the risk. If I can't manage the risk to be less than the rush then I avoid the activity because risking death isn't the point. Obviously the rush is not all I count, I am far more involved with pinball than shooting or racing because there are other considerations. Risk isn't an objective measure, you work on a pin with the power on you risk a potentially deadly shock but you consider the risk to be very low. People lifting or moving pins risk being hurt if it falls on them again the risk is low if properly managed.
    You asked the question, I gave you my answer and reasons but I wasn't trying to convince you that you were wrong for having your opinion.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simple-question-is-pinball-the-best-hobby-poll?tu=pinworthy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.