(Topic ID: 175426)

Simple question: is Pinball the best hobby? *Poll*

By DanQverymuch

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Overall, all things considered, is Pinball the best hobby?”

• Yes, in a truly objective way, it is the best freakin' hobby there is. 79 votes
      62%
    • No. Like other thing more. 48 votes
      38%

(127 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

838653-fabio (resized).jpg
    FabioYamahaV1sm (resized).jpg
    059a04e2d42814443d749a61a78ce1e5 (resized).jpg
    FabioYamahaV1sm (resized).jpg
    20161126_132557 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5860 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3798(1) (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20161208-223146 (resized).png
    #1 7 years ago

Straight up, yes or no, is pinball the best hobby?

Feel free to expound upon your answer by all means, but if you think it isn't, please, tell us what stupid pastime you somehow think is a better hobby than the mighty Pinball!

(Disclaimer: OP is biased in the direction of the affirmative.)

#2 7 years ago

sex is a much better hobby. But pinball is good between those times.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

sex is a much better hobby. But pinball is good between those times.

Well...I was going to say yes emphatically but you're response made me reconsider.

#4 7 years ago

nope-classic arcade games is better

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from TronGuy:

Note: Pinball was the first arcade game. So not sure what you mean by classic.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from TronGuy:

I sold my arcades when I got into pins. Arcades are cool, but to me, comparing arcades to pinball is like to comparing virtual pinball to pinball. One is digital and the other is physical and tangible. Hard to beat the real thing. I also find pinball to be much more replayable than most arcades. I love pinball.

Just curious. What do you like better about arcades?

#7 7 years ago

SURF!!!!!!!!!!

#8 7 years ago

no:1bikes, no:2the misses, no:3 pinball. Just don't tell the misses she's no:2, like to keep her thinking she no:6-7

Screenshot_20161208-223146 (resized).pngScreenshot_20161208-223146 (resized).png

IMG_3798(1) (resized).JPGIMG_3798(1) (resized).JPG

IMG_5860 (resized).JPGIMG_5860 (resized).JPG

20161126_132557 (resized).jpg20161126_132557 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Grg:

no:1bikes, no:2the misses, no:3 pinball. Just don't tell the misses she's no:2, like to keep her thinking she no:6-7

There are tons of pinball people into street bikes, seems like the 2 hobbies go together really well. Just be careful with #1 so someone else doesn't end up with #2 and #3. I've lost too many friends to bike accidents.

OP, I think pinball is a great hobby because you can do it at your home if you can afford a game, it doesn't take much time, and you can take long breaks from it and just leave them setting right were they are. I like all of my hobbies so I wouldn't call it the best but it's a great stress relief after a long day of work.

#10 7 years ago

Fabio also has a impressive bike collection. He has them in the Kitchen because he ran out of room.

FabioYamahaV1sm (resized).jpgFabioYamahaV1sm (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Next to collecting marbles, yes.

#13 7 years ago

059a04e2d42814443d749a61a78ce1e5 (resized).jpg059a04e2d42814443d749a61a78ce1e5 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

who sits around thinking up these crappy questions?
    Get a life.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

who sits around thinking up these crappy questions?
    Get a life.

Um, I do, I guess?

Who sits around looking for opportunities to troll? Talk about needing to get a life!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Fabio also has a impressive bike collection. He has them in the Kitchen because he ran out of room.

I wish I was Fabio as I would have a much hotter misses, and by the sounds of it a much better collection.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

sex is a much better hobby.

Please explain. I don't see how.

I am relatively sure no one ever caught a disease from pinball. (Maybe indirectly at a show. Keep your fingers away from your face! Or wear rubber gloves?)

No one ever got beat up for looking at someone else's pinball the wrong way.

No pinball ever refused to let you play again, after you played another pinball!

Similarly, no pinball ever made you promise to never play another pinball! And then looked for reasons to cut you off anyway!

No pinball ever objected to you and your friends taking turns, or complained if you drained your balls too quickly.

I could probably keep going, but I have made my point and have places to be!

#18 7 years ago

Misses are the opposites of hits, the plural of miss. A wife is a missus.

Not seeing very much in the way of arguments about pinball not being the best.

Bikes, really? Sure, they're a rush to ride, but how many guys get killed or maimed playing pin? Seems like a major negative. Or, put another way, stupid. Bikes don't hold resale value anything like pins, either.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Please explain. I don't see how.
    I am relatively sure no one ever caught a disease from pinball. (Maybe indirectly at a show. Keep your fingers away from your face! Or wear rubber gloves?)
    No one ever got beat up for looking at someone else's pinball the wrong way.
    No pinball ever refused to let you play again, after you played another pinball!
    Similarly, no pinball ever made you promise to never play another pinball! And then looked for reasons to cut you off anyway!
    No pinball ever objected to you and your friends taking turns, or complained if you drained your balls too quickly.
    I could probably keep going, but I have made my point and have places to be!

The experience is 1000 X's more intense and usually doesn't cost a dime. Unless you pay out for accessories or have cover charges for parties.

#20 7 years ago

If i have to choose yes or no ..going with no. It is an interesting question because I got into pinball because I wanted something that was less subject to outside control or influence. I can own machines at what ever price range I deem approapriate and nobody is going to force me to insure them based on the way others play, make me register them or even ban them outright, that doesn't really make it "the best" just more suitable.
    That being said I would much prefer to be at the range or out in the field target shooting but I hate the polictical climate and wild fluctuations in prices and social acceptance.
    I really enjoy motor sports and hotrods but insurance costs and other rising prices met my self-imposed limit ... for pure enjoyment it completely eclipses pinball.

Obviously these hobbies have a much higher risk of death or injury but that is just one category in the subjective question of "which is best". For me if the rush outweighs the risk .. it is better

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

For me if the rush outweighs the risk .. it is better

In that case, you might want to try drugs!

Seriously, if all you or Neo are going to count is the rush, that is the quintessential definition of subjective, and a completely unconvincing argument. Thus, not objectively better. Risking death or engaging in reproductive behavior (redundant, perhaps) is not a hobby at all, it is an activity.

#22 7 years ago

if you do it as much as I do, it becomes a hobby.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Grg:

If my wife had that body (assuming the goddess on the bike is your "misses") I'd never have time for pinball again.

The answer to the OP is YES, pinball is the greatest hobby.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

If my wife had that body (assuming the goddess on the bike is your "misses") I'd never have time for pinball again.

That's not a girl on the bike, that's Fabio.

FabioYamahaV1sm (resized).jpgFabioYamahaV1sm (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

She sure is. Believe me it is the bikes that pull the ladies and not the pinball. Oh and having money never hurts as they need a bit of romancing like that shot from Tahiti. Those water bungalows ain't cheap, actually that was the most expensive vacation so far.

Quoted from pinworthy:

Obviously these hobbies have a much higher risk of death or injury but that is just one category in the subjective question of "which is best". For me if the rush outweighs the risk .. it is better

Spoken like a true champ.

. Bikes don't hold resale value anything like pins, either.

Those bikes (as a hobby) make me more than most do from their job. All those bikes pictured I bought as insurance write-off, hence the dealer/trade plates. On average I repair 1-2 every 2 months.

The question, is pinball the best hobby? The answer is no for me, I do enjoy it and will continue to own them but prefer bikes.

Maybe change your poll...... pinball is the best hobby, insert comment below for plural tip of the day.

#26 7 years ago

838653-fabio (resized).jpg838653-fabio (resized).jpg

#27 7 years ago

Its a great hobby and ive meant some awesome people who are now good friends. Im also a big gun enthusiasts and its a great hobby also with some great folks.

#28 7 years ago

In that case, you might want to try drugs!
    Seriously, if all you or Neo are going to count is the rush, that is the quintessential definition of subjective, and a completely unconvincing argument. Thus, not objectively better. Risking death or engaging in reproductive behavior (redundant, perhaps) is not a hobby at all, it is an activity.

With drugs I would consider the risk greater than the rush. Activities involving guns or racing cars/motorcycles comes with a certain amount of risk, the key is managing the risk. If I can't manage the risk to be less than the rush then I avoid the activity because risking death isn't the point. Obviously the rush is not all I count, I am far more involved with pinball than shooting or racing because there are other considerations. Risk isn't an objective measure, you work on a pin with the power on you risk a potentially deadly shock but you consider the risk to be very low. People lifting or moving pins risk being hurt if it falls on them again the risk is low if properly managed.
    You asked the question, I gave you my answer and reasons but I wasn't trying to convince you that you were wrong for having your opinion.

#29 7 years ago

This is the same as asking heroin addicts what the best drug is

#30 7 years ago

Nothing like a Vintage Les Paul or Strat Roaring through a Vintage Marshall Amp. Pinball is right up there though

#31 7 years ago

Pins/Arcades in the Winter, Metal Detecting (if I ever take the time to do it again) in the Summer.
    A couple 1700s, and 100s of 1800s
    From "yes or no" to.............."You might as well shoot up heroine". That is Funny!!,
    But doesn't beat Odin's "Marbles 1st"

5 years later
    #32 1 year ago

For me, it’s a toss up between pinball and fast cars/motorcycles. I love both, although one is far more dangerous!

#33 1 year ago

Pinball/arcade, I do not care. Send it to me broken and I will enjoy fixing it just the same.

#34 1 year ago

Designing and building your own pinball games... best hobby ever. Playing them is a fun distraction, but I would say collecting motorcycles seems way cooler.

#35 1 year ago

Watch collecting, pinball, music, chess

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simple-question-is-pinball-the-best-hobby-poll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.