• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Junglist
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FDWLN7JIK7BXDUX.LARGE (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider junglist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I went to replace the bushing on my LOTR as the right flipper was drooping and starting to touch the playfield. On installing the new bushing I found it didn't seem to line up cleanly with the three holes when screwing it in. I tried to flex it while screwing in a second screw but it bound and I think i've cross threaded the hole.

So now I've removed the bushing and I find my hole seems cross threaded as the screw stops about halfway.

I'm wondering what the best way to proceed from here is.. I can tap out the hole a bit but then even if the thread gets fixed why is it not lining up at all? For the record i actually bought 2 replacement bushings and both appear to have the same issue compared to the original. However measuring the holes they appear identical.

Should I tap it out or is there some other tip? Is there a technique for getting the bushing in cleanly?

#3 5 years ago

The part number is 545-5070-00 and I'll take some pictures after work. The more I think about I wonder if it was actually cross threaded before I even started which was causing the bushing to not line up straight which was why I was seeing the tip of the flipper start to rub. I do think I may have made it worse though.

When I screw the new bushing in it seems to pull the bushing holes out of alignment which is why I'm struggling to get the other screws in. Although the old bushing goes in OK still, except the screws bind halfway... I'm wondering if the screw holes in the bushing on the old one are just slightly bigger. I could drill out the new one just a tiny bit to give me some more room perhaps?

Looking for next steps to get back to playing! This sucks as I just had everything else fixed up (switches and some lights).

Help is appreciated!

#6 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's the right bushing same part number and looks the same with maybe slightly smaller holes for the screws on the newer bushings..... I'll try to take some pictures later to show what I mean when I say the holes don't align when placing it in the base plate.

#9 5 years ago

I have two new ones and neither seems better so that rules out the misformed part I'd say. The thing is its pretty damn close to the original so I'd be surprised if it's the wrong part. It's just a hair off. I'm thinking if I can get the threads fixed and then try again and just screw each screw alternating like a car tire I can maybe get it to work.

Ordering new parts would suck as that would be like 4 weeks plus 20$ shipping just for some 4$ parts.

#13 5 years ago

So thanks everyone for the tips.. I ended up giving it another shot and backing the screws in as evenly as I could and it worked out well. I must have gone in with too much on one screw initially pulling it skewed.

#14 5 years ago

The new bushing is in but I'm still concerned the tip of the flipper seems awfully close to the playfield.

Any tips on getting the bushing to sit more perpendicular to the playfield? I think it has a slight angle which means that at rest the flipper leans down. I'm going to take another look and see if I can snug up the screws or even perhaps back off the ones at the rear of the flipper to "even" it out. I'll also try snugging up the flipper base plate as maybe its not perfectly snug.

#18 5 years ago

Did the washer on top of the bushing and it seems to work A-Ok with no noticeable loss of power. Thanks for all the tips -

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.00
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider junglist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simple-bushing-replacement-not-going-well-looking-for-tips?tu=junglist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.