New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 220047)

Simple bushing replacement not going well, looking for tips

By Junglist

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Junglist
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FDWLN7JIK7BXDUX.LARGE (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I went to replace the bushing on my LOTR as the right flipper was drooping and starting to touch the playfield. On installing the new bushing I found it didn't seem to line up cleanly with the three holes when screwing it in. I tried to flex it while screwing in a second screw but it bound and I think i've cross threaded the hole.

So now I've removed the bushing and I find my hole seems cross threaded as the screw stops about halfway.

I'm wondering what the best way to proceed from here is.. I can tap out the hole a bit but then even if the thread gets fixed why is it not lining up at all? For the record i actually bought 2 replacement bushings and both appear to have the same issue compared to the original. However measuring the holes they appear identical.

Should I tap it out or is there some other tip? Is there a technique for getting the bushing in cleanly?

#2 2 years ago

Can you take a picture or something to explain more what you mean about them not lining up?

What part number are the bushings you ordered?

#3 2 years ago

The part number is 545-5070-00 and I'll take some pictures after work. The more I think about I wonder if it was actually cross threaded before I even started which was causing the bushing to not line up straight which was why I was seeing the tip of the flipper start to rub. I do think I may have made it worse though.

When I screw the new bushing in it seems to pull the bushing holes out of alignment which is why I'm struggling to get the other screws in. Although the old bushing goes in OK still, except the screws bind halfway... I'm wondering if the screw holes in the bushing on the old one are just slightly bigger. I could drill out the new one just a tiny bit to give me some more room perhaps?

Looking for next steps to get back to playing! This sucks as I just had everything else fixed up (switches and some lights).

Help is appreciated!

#4 2 years ago

Are you sure the bushing is facing the right way?

Have you tried swapping the bushing on the other flipper to compare?

Might be best to just buy a new flipper base plate

#5 2 years ago

New flipper base plate or retap the hole you stripped.

You might try running a stainless steel screw through it and see if it works then.

Did you get the right bushing to stick in there ?

LTG : )

#6 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's the right bushing same part number and looks the same with maybe slightly smaller holes for the screws on the newer bushings..... I'll try to take some pictures later to show what I mean when I say the holes don't align when placing it in the base plate.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

I'm pretty sure it's the right bushing same part number and looks the same with maybe slightly smaller holes for the screws on the newer bushings..... I'll try to take some pictures later to show what I mean when I say the holes don't align when placing it in the base plate.

So you got a misformed part or one from a different supplier.

#8 2 years ago

I would not be the first time that a pinball part was mislabeled.

Get a tap to rethread the hole, unplug the drill-press, mount the tap in the chuck, now re-tap turning the drillpress by hand - it will make sure that the new threads go in straight!

Old trick, but it works

FDWLN7JIK7BXDUX.LARGE (resized).jpg
#9 2 years ago

I have two new ones and neither seems better so that rules out the misformed part I'd say. The thing is its pretty damn close to the original so I'd be surprised if it's the wrong part. It's just a hair off. I'm thinking if I can get the threads fixed and then try again and just screw each screw alternating like a car tire I can maybe get it to work.

Ordering new parts would suck as that would be like 4 weeks plus 20$ shipping just for some 4$ parts.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

so I'd be surprised if it's the wrong part.

Don't be surprised if it came from a different manufacturer than your original.

You might want to rethink your prats supplier if they have poorly made copies.

#11 2 years ago

Find the spot where all the holes line up but one, make an indexing mark on the base and bushing.

Using a rat tail file, elongate ONLY the one hole that does not line up.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

I'm thinking if I can get the threads fixed and then try again and just screw each screw alternating like a car tire I can maybe get it to work.

This is how the bushing should be screwed in initially, and pretty much how any part that has multiple screw holes should be attached.
tap the holes, maybe ream or enlarge the bushing hole(s) just enough to get that bushing in there.
I bet it'll be just fine.

#13 2 years ago

So thanks everyone for the tips.. I ended up giving it another shot and backing the screws in as evenly as I could and it worked out well. I must have gone in with too much on one screw initially pulling it skewed.

#14 2 years ago

The new bushing is in but I'm still concerned the tip of the flipper seems awfully close to the playfield.

Any tips on getting the bushing to sit more perpendicular to the playfield? I think it has a slight angle which means that at rest the flipper leans down. I'm going to take another look and see if I can snug up the screws or even perhaps back off the ones at the rear of the flipper to "even" it out. I'll also try snugging up the flipper base plate as maybe its not perfectly snug.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Any tips on getting the bushing to sit more perpendicular to the playfield?

You got a bad flipper ?

#16 2 years ago

When I run into this, I find just the right size washer, and put it on the top side of the pf on the flipper shaft.
By just the right size, I mean barely enough to go around the flipper shaft, and not enough to hit the plastic bat.
Never had it mess with flipper strength.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

The new bushing is in but I'm still concerned the tip of the flipper seems awfully close to the playfield.
Any tips on getting the bushing to sit more perpendicular to the playfield? I think it has a slight angle which means that at rest the flipper leans down. I'm going to take another look and see if I can snug up the screws or even perhaps back off the ones at the rear of the flipper to "even" it out. I'll also try snugging up the flipper base plate as maybe its not perfectly snug.

Quoted from LTG:

You got a bad flipper ?

Quoted from DNO:

When I run into this, I find just the right size washer, and put it on the top side of the pf on the flipper shaft.
By just the right size, I mean barely enough to go around the flipper shaft, and not enough to hit the plastic bat.
Never had it mess with flipper strength.

I have had this problem, too, with the flipper not being perpendicular to the play field. I and added a brass washer to jack up the flipper to get it away from the play field. But why does it happen? I check the flipper shaft for being square to the flipper bat base and it checks square, but once I place the shaft back into the bushing the flipper swings off-angle and would start working am arc groove into the play field without using a spacer. Why is the flipper sitting off-angle?

Has the flipper base plate somehow distorted and changed the angle of the bushing in relation to the play field surface? If so, then how? The base plate is fairly robust material. I checked the base plate and it checks square.

Has the play field wood swelled and changed how the base plate mounts to the underside of the play field? Or has the play field swelled just a small amount in front of the flipper making it appear that the flipper/bushing/base plate assembly is not square?

I have seen this issue but I don't know why it exists.

#18 2 years ago

Did the washer on top of the bushing and it seems to work A-Ok with no noticeable loss of power. Thanks for all the tips -

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 11.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Otsego, MN
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Unknown City
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 1,000.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Machine - For Sale
Farmington, MO
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 219.99
$ 41.00
Boards
PinSound
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside