Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For any part of your pinball collection have you borrowed money to make your purchase?”

• Yes, I have a loan or using a HELOC to purchase 5 votes
      2%
    • Yes, I paid with a credit card and make payments to my card provider 13 votes
      6%
    • Yes, I have financed through a supplier. 1 vote
    • No, I always pay cash. 200 votes
      91%

(219 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0BDF4536-9A58-4212-B01E-3D8A72BFD63E (resized).jpeg
    1F65128B-8999-4469-AF3D-58C81A6BD027 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

At my age I have seen a lot. I remember black Monday in 1987, I remember the dot com bubble of 2000 and of course I remember the housing crash in 2008. What all of these had in common was a highly over valued market and a bunch of consumers whose greed convinced them to overpay believing it will go up in value. As the ole adage goes “pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered”.
    This leads me to the current pinball market. I am seeing brand new pinball machines being purchased for X and being resold for up to 2x more.
    I am seeing A nice pin that is worth $3k at best, if it is like new, being listed for $12k. [quoted image]
    - While this machine does not likely have the owner in large debt, they most likely have way more in it than it’s worth.
    My biggest concern is if people are taking out loans to buy very expensive pinball machines and when (not if) we have another recession, will there be a lot of people upside down on their pin investments and have to sell to a market that may not have the ability to absorb high priced pins? (In other words sell for far less than they have in them)
    I am interested in how much, if any, debt is tied to expensive pinball purchases. (See my poll)
    Thanks in advance for helping me better understand the debt tied to pinball ownership.

Quit looking at the overpriced ebay pins. Those are not good examples, and those games have been listed and relisted for years. They aren't selling (at least the majority are not).

Yes you can find a few decent actual auction pins on ebay, but for the most part, no.

#19 3 years ago

My suggestion. Don't buy pins.

#26 3 years ago

From what I've seen, many pinsiders (that post) are on the upper tier of the money. Others, with tons of games, bought many of them long before they went crazy in prices.

I will say I did think Corona was going to mark the beginning of fire sales, but the opposite happened.

I don't buy pins as investments, so I really don't care what prices do. I have limits in what I will spend, but...even that gets broken on occasion.

On the plus side I've only taken out my 3rd mortgage and maxed out 17 credit cards to buy pinballs. Yeah, I did sell my grandmother to a sweat shop, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hobbies don't pay for themselves.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

If more a-holes like Levi spend more time helping others solve technical issues rather than being the thread nazi and bitching about someone’s thread is a repeat of one, we would have no broken pinball machines.
    Not sure what Pinside would do if we had a few less a-holes like this. Guess it would be a nicer place to visit.
    Thanks Wolverine tuner for adding to the a-hole list.

Normally I might agree, but you've blown off any common sense answers anyone has given you that doesn't fit your 'view' of the pinball world. The reality is as he posted...people have been claiming the bubble pop for years. Will there be one? Sure. When? No one knows.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/similarities-with-pinball-market-amp-the-2008-housing-crash?tu=Zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.