7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TaylorVA
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I read an opinion that AFM and MM have very similar gameplay. Is this true? I recently picked up an MMr and its a great game. I'd like to get an AFM next but am unsure if I want it if the game is very similar to MM. I like to have a variety in my small collection. I have minimally played AFM quite a while back, but I did like it.

#2 7 years ago

Yes unfortunately. Both pins have very similar layouts. Fantastic pins both in their own right, but I think it would be a waste of space and pin money to own both the titles.

#3 7 years ago

I have had both for over a decade. Yes, the similarities of the shots makes owning both in a small collection probably not a good idea. Both great games, but own the one with the theme you like.

Both are a basic fan. When launching the ball you can go for the skill shot in the two lanes (over the two pops). You can also hold the left flipper button to open the gate and go for the super skill shot. Both have a major toy up the center that you need to open. So yes they have many similarities.

AFM is a bit more open playfield. There are jiggley Martians around the edges and MM has the Trolls in the center.

I'm, sure the full comparison is well documented.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I have had both for over a decade. Yes, the similarities of the shots makes owning both in a small collection probably not a good idea.

Exactly this, I was coming back to edit my post but Taxman be me to it. If space/budget aren't an issue, I'd own both these gems.

#5 7 years ago

I was thinking of adding it as a fifth game. I really like the pins I have right now.

#6 7 years ago

I know what I like. One can argue that Met, IM, Tron, and ST are also similar to each other. It didn't stop me from getting, keeping, and loving all four.

Fan layouts all have very subtle differences you really have to play a lot to appreciate. I also have a MMr and I for one can not wait to have its faster, alien invading sibling next to it!

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for all of the input! Hope to hear more.

#8 7 years ago

Gameplay is so different despite layout. There is a lot more to the game than layout. I had both at one time and didn't even realize the layout similarities until someone on Pinside or RGP told me, asking why I would own both.

#9 7 years ago

Attack has much much better balance in the rules and scoring.

MM has better toys.

I think everyone hates that the main lock shots are in the same place.

#10 7 years ago

I own both. Have owned my AFM for 9 years and added MMR last year. Yes both are fan layouts but each game has nuances that make them different enough to live harmoniously in my 10 game lineup.

AFM is just a very clean layout with easily understood objectives. It's an easy game to get something going but tough to master.

MMR has a more nuanced ruleset and the ramps make the flow much different than AFM. The cow ramp is just tough enough to make it a flow killer IMO. While tourney strategy in MM is castle killing it is the exact opposite in AFM.

Both have outstanding themes and humor so I feel like they complement each other well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/similarities-in-afm-and-mm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.