Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Kiss-pinball-pro-playfield (resized).jpg
harley (resized).jpg
Whirlwind (resized).jpg
image-6 (resized).jpg
image-8 (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
image-4 (resized).jpg
image-7 (resized).jpg
Metallica (resized).jpg
IM-PlayField (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

I was playing metallica on the virtual pin and it dawned on me that this looks almost identical to ironman. I know people have discussed stern using the similar layouts in other topics and some games are similar to some degree. Took me a while to make the connection. Are there other games that have close layouts like this?

crazy how they are so similar, but so different at the same time. obviously the toys are different, the ramps go in slightly different directions but both end at the same spots & metallica has a dual left inlane other then that the differences are pretty small I think.

IM-PlayField (resized).png

Metallica (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comparison-of-met-pro-and-im

Both have up posts in the usual position, controlled on Met but not on IM
- Both have twin roll over in the same position ties to three rollover in the in lane (tie)
- Both have pops in the same position that feed center or right orbit (tie)
- IM has the addition of an inner loop to feed the pops from the center spinner with an additional up post. I'm a BIG fan of inner loops (IM)
- Both have two standard right left orbits but IM has spinners (IM)
-Both have two ramps that feed the opposite flippers, Met metal and etched, IM has plastic ramps that extend past the back wall and has up/down action both of which which I like. (Tie)
- Met ramps are steeper and harder to hit more satisfying, IM you can hit easily by accident (Met)
- both have area/toy on the outside of the left ramp
---- grave drop targets, magnet and cross
---- War Machine kickback
I like both but (Met)
- Both have toys to the inside of the right ramp.
---- captive ball / snake
----- Whiplash
I like both but (Met)
-Both have center area bash type figures Sparkey or Iron Monger plus tough center shot spinner (IM strong win).
- Left side Fuel target and Fuel lane or 4 stand ups for IM (MET)
- right side has mystery scoop or 3 stand up targets (Met)
-Both have 4 stand ups picks or drones, I prefer the Drones (IM)

#3 2 years ago

I believe IM is a copy of Austin Powers

#4 2 years ago

A few that come to mind:

TRON and Funhouse have very similar layouts:

image-7 (resized).jpg
image-4 (resized).jpg

Metallica and Monster Bash have similar layouts:

image-2 (resized).jpg
image-8 (resized).jpg

Whirlwind and Jurassic Park:

Whirlwind (resized).jpg
image-6 (resized).jpg

And I always thought Aerosmith and Medieval Madness had similar layouts too.

#6 2 years ago

Wow, that's crazy. I don't think I would of caught any of those other ones.
didn't know they did it that often. to that extent
just surprising to see so many

#7 2 years ago

Most Lawlor games (which leads to Borg games)
Half of Steve Ritchie Games
The other half of Steve Ritchie games

Searching helps answer questions

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machines-with-similar-layouts

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-designers-ever-borrow-ideas-from-other-designers

plenty more

#8 2 years ago

I am amazed how many games have two flippers at the bottom

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Half of Steve Ritchie Games
The other half of Steve Ritchie games

Every steve ritchie game is like a grab bag of 5/10 of his things.

star trek and spiderman probably take the cake though...

On the other hand, I think they play very differently in spite of the similar layout. Little bits of spacing and rules can go a long way. Even just look at what lowering the in/outlane posts and making the toys a bit more aggressive did for iron man vs met

Quoted from hocuslocus:

didn't know they did it that often. to that extent

DE pretty blatently copied lots of B/W designs... Not to mention rules.

But in general, if you've got two ramps and an orbit, most are going to be pretty similar. MB, AFM, MM, ... It's just how you use that center area and whether you have a scoop or targets on the lower edges

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Every steve ritchie game is like a grab bag of 5/10 of his things.
star trek and spiderman probably take the cake though...

Close call...I'd go T2 & ACDC myself.

#12 2 years ago

For the win....

harley (resized).jpg

Kiss-pinball-pro-playfield (resized).jpg

#13 2 years ago

This thread is awesome. I was thinking you were going to compare Harley Davidson tO MB before I saw the 2nd picture.

Someone mentioned DE copying B/W designs blatantly ... so which ones?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I am amazed how many games have two flippers at the bottom

That's how the Italians do it.

#15 2 years ago

AC/DC and Starship Troopers

Alien Poker and Laser Cue

Stars and Nine Ball

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Most Lawlor games

Good point. Although I think his game rules are more similar than his layouts are. Seems like his basic formula is, do some things to light a scoop. Hit the scoop which awards a mode/special award, do the thing. Meanwhile, hit these particular targets to light a lock. Multiball. Jackpot is scored from a side-shot with the upper right or left flipper.

Hell, Earthshaker and Whirlwind are almost the same game through rules. Hit the targets the game tells you, light the lock, get multiball. Jackpot is the left or right ramp. Hit the center ramp for miles. Do it a couple of times to increase the value of the drop target/captive ball. Every 5 consecutive shots lights quick multiball. Value is timed, and decrements if you're too slow. Miles award extra balls; locked balls award bonus multipliers, etc. ect. They're the same game rule-wise. Almost to the point where having each game in the same collection is moot.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It's just how you use that center area and whether you have a scoop or targets on the lower edges

yeah I understand that, it just seems that there are so many other ways to go about it. If the game plays different enough then why would it matter... right?
just easier to go with what works then to have flaws in the design. GB seems to have some of those flaws, but I think it adds to the game. could do without some of the air-balls though.

I know 8 ball deluxe and sharkeys shootout are almost identical. I'm pretty sure that was the point to that one though.

#18 2 years ago

There are also the direct rip offs from one manufacturer to another - I believe some of Richie's games - I forget which ones now...

Anybody know if there are any games with a scoop at what would otherwise be an orbit shot?

#19 2 years ago

Williams Flash & Bally Skateball
Williams Black Knight & Bally Flash Gordon

Did Bally have a mole at Williams?

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Williams Flash & Bally Skateball
Williams Black Knight & Bally Flash Gordon
Did Bally have a mole at Williams?

I believe one of the designers outright stole the design when he left Williams to go work at Bally. I read that in a Steve Richie interview .. the interview was linked here somewhere..

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe one of the designers outright stole the design when he left Williams to go work at Bally. I read that in a Steve Richie interview .. the interview was linked here somewhere..

Haha yeah that was a great thread

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside