20180618_193201 (resized).jpg
20180618_193124 (resized).jpg
20180618_193133 (resized).jpg
20180618_193211 (resized).jpg
20180517_195957 (resized).jpg
20180517_195504 (resized).jpg
silverball_Mania_insert (resized).jpg
SBM_DisplayBoard_SPSA.jpg
Bally_Silverball_Mania_Tech_Chart.pdf (PDF preview)
SBM_mAnia_lamp.jpg
A (resized).jpg
SBM_Light_Board_Door.jpg
SBM_Switch-34.jpg

There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 5 years ago

I just replaced all the G.I. lamps, and all are lit now, and I noticed that the MATCH DISPLAY FEATURE LAMP does not light. I tried using a good bulb to be sure it wasn't just a burnt lamp. Does that mean either Q23 or R23 on lamp driver board, could be bad and need replacement? how do I test to be sure? Thanks

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkster1:

I noticed that the MATCH DISPLAY FEATURE LAMP does not light. I tried using a good bulb to be sure it wasn't just a burnt lamp.

If it is not a broken solder joint i.e. you have continuity from the plug (J2-8) to the lamp, most likely it is Q23, resistors very rarely fail.
While this guide is not specific to Bally troubleshooting the SCR testing proceddure is the same:

http://www.pinrepair.com/gp/index.htm

scroll down to:

Testing the Lamp Driver SCRs POWER OFF

#253 5 years ago

ATARI ...Thanks for the help and info, appreciated, and problem is solved. Hawkster

#254 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkster1:

problem is solved. Hawkster

Bad scr or solder joint?

#255 5 years ago

solder joint needed better connection, things are good now everything working
THANKS LOTS to all especially Arati_Daze and Quench.......... Hawkster1

#256 5 years ago

2 weeks later
#257 5 years ago

Hi again all, hope you're doing summer right, I've been doing lots of ocean things swimming, fishing ect.
I have been playing my game often with no problems until now, and I am reaching out for an answer. When playng the past several games the flippers stop working for a second or two and then problem stops, today I was playing and flippers stopped and started up , then flippers died and so did the game. All the lights went out and now the game will not start. I haven't looked for blown fuses yet,but I find it hard to believe flippers would blow a fuse after all those plays.

#258 5 years ago

^open up the game and see what you got.

Did you check the wall outlet?

#259 5 years ago

Mystery!!! I just went back to game and it started reight up and the flippers worked, played one game without a fault happening, I got funny things here. Does the game just need long repair breaks? Something must be wrong with flipper area I'm thinking. What would cause the flippers to get stupid and smart? Could it have something due to the connector making bad contact,or another bad component, and how to check out would be a good thing for me. Reaching out

2 weeks later
#260 5 years ago

Reaching out for answer still. I still have problems occasionally with the flippers conking out on my Silverball Mania pb game. after playing for a while I get a weird sound from cabinet area, the flippers stop/start and die, the display lights also flicker. If I power down the game and restart all works again. Is thereaa connection that is related to flipper and display,that would cause this?

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkster1:

I still have problems occasionally with the flippers conking out on my Silverball Mania pb game.

On the Solenoid Driver Board, repin both the male and female connectors.

On the back of the board, you may have some cracked solder joints along the male pins.

Those connectors were only designed for 40 plugging/unplugging cycles, and after 40 years, they have probably been through hundreds.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing

#262 5 years ago

1) Follow master Vids advice about the connectors at the solenoid driver board.
2) Can you be more descriptive of this "weird sound"? Is it coming from the speaker? Does it sound like some electrical buzzing/sparking noise? Some other sound?

Remove the lockdown bar and playfield glass from machine. Keep playing it from time to time and next time the problem occurs, lift the playfield and look/listen inside the cabinet for where the weird sound is coming from.

#263 5 years ago

If all these problems are happening at the same time, then i would starting looking at what is in common for these circuits. From the brief description of the problems, i would be looking at power supply. It almost sounds as if something is overheating to me.

#264 5 years ago

Quench.. I have done work on the power supply Vids advice about connectors. The weird sound is not heard every time but when it happens it is not coming from the speaker it is kind of like a buzzing/sparking noise if I remember right, I will lift off the glass and look inside, I may only have enou,because the mgh time to to look through the coin door with a flashlight because the game may die too quickly. Thanks
ChiefKC .. I have had problems with the power supply board in the past, I am not sure what component would have anything in common with both the flippers and the display lights, and I appreciate your input

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkster1:

I am not sure what component would have anything in common with both the flippers and the display lights

Hey Hawkster, it's sounding like you have a mains power issue with the game. To be honest it might be time to get a tech in to look at this. It's one thing to be repairing low voltage circuits, but toying with mains power issues for the inexperienced is dangerous.

A sparking issue left alone could cause a fire, so I wouldn't be leaving the machine unattended for any period of time.

If you're hell bent on trying to sort it out yourself, exercise extra care and common sense.
It's going to take careful observation on your behalf when the issue occurs to quickly look in the cabinet to determine where the sparking noise is coming from.

You can try unplugging the pinball from the wall socket and check the line cord and plug for any damage. Then (with the line cord still disconnected from the wall socket) check that the mains F6 power fuse is tightly seated on the rectifier board. Check the J2 connector at the rectifier board and if necessary reterminate it.
With the pinball plugged in and powered on, does gently wiggling the power switch cause any side effects? You can try wiggling cable harnesses in the cabinet taking special care not to touch any metals when doing so.
How long does it generally take for the issue to pop up? 10 minutes? 1 hour? other?

#266 5 years ago

It doesn't make a sound like wires sparking, more like connections making and breaking if I remember right. Here's the latest, I started the game and it went on with the display lights flickering, then everything went out and had nothing.I shut off game waited and tried to restart with no luck. I unplugged game and
removed glass and display panel,looking for blown fuses ect. all good fuses on all boards, looked at 1 amp playfield fuses and found the bottom one had blown fuse, didn't see any obvious problems so I decided to replace it. I tried restarting the game and the fuse did NOT blow but the game still didn't start. I noticed that I wasn't getting the red LED on MPU board to light at all. Powered down game and started checking out connections and found the J4 connecter on the MPU board not completely pushed on, I'm sure some connections were lost because of that(may have led to the sound I was hearing). I made sure that connection was good and rechecked all others, when I powered up the game everything started working I haven't played the game for a long srt enough stretch yet to find out if the flipper problem starts again but I,m feelling more confident this time.

#267 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkster1:

found the J4 connecter on the MPU board not completely pushed on

The J4 connector provides power to the MPU board - it also has a signal controlling the flipper activation.
Fingers crossed that's all that was causing the issue.

2 years later
#268 3 years ago

Flippers on my silverball mania game stopped working during game as though there is a bad connection, have not had this problem in years. I was told in the past that it could be a loose pin connector on the MPU board and that it should be worked on. If I jiggle the all thr connectors on the MPU board flippers start working again for a while. Hoping somebody can tell me exactly which wires are the culprit and exactly how to fix the pin connector along with tools needed for repair. Any help along with pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverballmania/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.