(Topic ID: 130109)

Silverball Retro Style LEDs - Are They Worth It?

By davebart5

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 11.48.02 AM.png

#1 6 years ago

Hey Pinsiders, I am picking up a Haunted House next week, and before I start the restoration process, I am going to enjoy the game for a little with a good cleaning and refresh the general things like rubbers and bulbs. The game is all original as it stands and has the old incandescent bulbs. I understand the benefits of going with LED, but I just like the look of the old bulbs. I'm trying to find something as close as possible, but I can't seem to fall in love with the frosted whites. I have no problem just refreshing everything with 47's, but wanted to give it another shot and ask you guys.

Now, I personally feel this particular game looks best with incandescent bulbs. Maybe its me allowing my imagination to have some fun, but I personally feel the warm glow of the incandescents reminds me more of a true Haunted House and spooky candle light, rather than multicolored LEDs that make it look like a Christmas tree. If for some very weird reason a worldwide shortage of incandescent bulbs happened, and I was forced to go with LEDs on this game, I would maybe do non-super-bright green LED with a little red mixed in and the rest frosted white. It just gets too colorful for me when I see purples, blues and yellows on this game.

Anyways... I seen Silverball has these retro style LEDs. http://silverballmuseum.com/online-store. Has anyone here used these and are they a similar look to #47's? If you can share some pictures that would be great.

Also, these are plug and play capable with Gottlieb System 80s, right?

Thank you to anyone who contributes here.

Dave

P.S. - I checked the forum for this comparison and couldn't find a huge depth of detail regarding these. Sorry if there is a thread I missed that breaks it all down.

Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 11.48.02 AM.png

#2 6 years ago

Comet has similar bulbs for $0.50, I don't know if these are fancier or closer to incandescent. I thought they were too bright (they make EMs look awful IMO). If you want the incandescent look you might as well stick to incandescents, but they're cheap enough to buy a few to try out yourself.

#3 6 years ago

Yeah, if I wasn't 100% sold one way or another based on others opinions here, I was just going to buy a box and try them out.

Thanks DefaultGen!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Comet has similar bulbs for $0.50, I don't know if these are fancier or closer to incandescent. I thought they were too bright (they make EMs look awful IMO). If you want the incandescent look you might as well stick to incandescents, but they're cheap enough to buy a few to try out yourself.

The closest to Incandescent are these:

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1retroled.htm

They are $.49 each, and $39 for 100.

I have not seen SilverBall products to compare, but I cant imagine too much difference unless they went with a domed,
single SMD.

Respectfully, as LEDs are different than incandescent, it is always possible in this transition to find them "too bright".
The lowest brightness would be these in frosted, which is 20% less bright then an incandescent.

Regardless of game, Brightness, and comfort with this, is a personal choice, and I certainly enjoy some of my own games with stock incandescent.

Its only a matter of the brightness that is best for your eyes, and home lighting conditions.

This Chart and info, might be of some help.

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1825.htm

Art

#5 6 years ago

I just did a restoration on a Silverball Mania and went with the least expensive frosted single SMD bulbs out there. They are not too bright and look good. I chose to go with the cool white bulbs because of the theme of the pin. I looked at the warm whites but felt the cools were a better fit. The only colored LEDs I used were behind some of the inserts to make them pop a little more.

I think that you best bet is to order a few of the different types you are thinking about using and testing them out. An extra $10 or $15 spent up front to get it just the way you want it is not a big deal.

On Haunted House remember that you have some odd voltages for some of the lamps. The lower playfield illumination lamps are 28v and a standard LED will not work.

Cointaker has them.

http://cointaker.com/products/37544471-b113-419c-8897-cab636ad6b8a

I did not see a similar product on the Comet site.

#6 6 years ago

Thank you, those resources are extremely helpful. I'm actually going to try those comets and cointaker bulbs you guys recommended and also grab me some of the Silverball. It'll be a good experiment and I'll share the process on the forum.

Now, the next game i'm looking to buy in the coming future will be a Black Hole. That particular game I love the way it looks with Blue LEDs throughout the PF and backglass. That looks and feels more fitting with the LED approach and probably will be my next move after I get this HH up and running.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Respectfully, as LEDs are different than incandescent, it is always possible in this transition to find them "too bright".
The lowest brightness would be these in frosted, which is 20% less bright then an incandescent.

Amusing this is said. I think it's a mater of perspective and how the 'brightness' is measured. I recently put two frosted, warm whites in my jukebox credit select window, and they're noticeably too bright - light bleeds into the adjoining display. Standard 44's don't. Maybe it's the color, maybe the blank-out material used in the juke.. dunno, but the LEDs look good and will keep the plastic from browning more, so they'll stay. They appear brighter, though because of the bleeding.

#8 6 years ago

Definitely a perspective on "brightness". With all our eyes being different, application, voltage, ambient lighting, and differences
that are real in production.

Sometimes, people see differences, that others do not.

Equally, when I have done a Group based LED conversion...we definitely dont all agree on whats best.

I think we have 12-14 different brightness possibilities, as well as several light throw patterns, that ultimately affect the "look",
leaving it up to the individuals taste.

Sorry, No, I dont have the 28V, best bet is Cointaker.

Art

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside