(Topic ID: 195616)

Silverball Museum Delray - too loud to be fun?

By Vdrums

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by SuperDaveOsbourn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

While visiting Florida, I just discovered Silverball Museum. I was truly impressed with the place, the Collection of old and some new machines (including my introduction to JJP's WOz and Hobbit)

I'm a big fan of skeeball (perhaps even more than pinball) and the pay one price free play is fantastic. They even have monthly memberships that are super reasonable.

But what keeps me from going back is the volume level. There seems to be often be a DJ and Last night there was a live band.

If I wanted to go to a club or rock show I'd go. Maybe it's just me, but I'd have a hard time spending a lot of time there.

Maybe other people love it.

Any thoughts?

I'm looking into other places in the area that have great pin games.

#2 2 years ago

I'd have to say that i dont know what 90% of the games ive played sound like. I have never heard MET, ACDC, AS, TBL, WH20, IJ, TZ to name a few.

Still love to play them.

#3 2 years ago

you're probably going to have a hard time finding a public establishment that pays rent, among tons of other bills just to survive, with a nice quiet pinball lounge. not many paying customers (or really, bar patrons) frequent that type of place.

#4 2 years ago

Go during daytime hours when there's not a DJ or band.

#5 2 years ago

Yeah, first few times I went there were weekday afternoons and really enjoyed myself.
    Went there on a Friday night and it was a COMPLETELY different vibe. Hated it.

Either way, even at noon on a school day, they had Twilight Zone turned up SOOOO LOUD, I could not play it more than once.

#6 2 years ago

My thoughts are that they are probably trying to do whatever it takes to make it a place people want to go to, not surprising as I believe the location is a former night club. It's pretty hard to keep a pinball place in business so if this is working for them it's not going to change.

As others said, go during daytime hours, or bring earplugs or noise cancelling headphones. Since you are a Vdrummer I'm sure you have a good set of cans you can use.

1 year later
    #7 1 year ago

Interesting post. I thought I was the only one.

About a month ago I went here for the first time on a Saturday night. Hated it. Had a live bland blaring for at least 3 hours strait. Left confused.

Decided to go back last Saturday in the early half of the day....totally different experience. Ended up a little crowded but had A LOT more fun this time. Apparently they also have a pinball league people can sign up for now.

#8 1 year ago

Week nights or weekend afternoons are the best times to go if the music bothers you.

I'm pretty happy with what Rob has managed to do.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

While visiting Florida, I just discovered Silverball Museum. I was truly impressed with the place, the Collection of old and some new machines (including my introduction to JJP's WOz and Hobbit)
    I'm a big fan of skeeball (perhaps even more than pinball) and the pay one price free play is fantastic. They even have monthly memberships that are super reasonable.
    But what keeps me from going back is the volume level. There seems to be often be a DJ and Last night there was a live band.
    If I wanted to go to a club or rock show I'd go. Maybe it's just me, but I'd have a hard time spending a lot of time there.
    Maybe other people love it.
    Any thoughts?
    I'm looking into other places in the area that have great pin games.

What they are doing is making the museum a viable and popular destination spot for people who don’t give a Shit about Pinball, and they are doing an amazing job.
    Really, it’s a model for any other “Barcade” type place centered on pinball, which - spoiler alert - most of the general public doesn’t care about.

I’m extremly impressed by what I’ve seen there, if you haven’t noticed.

“I can’t hear the games” is a common complaint by pinheads but that’s life. It’s impossible to “hear the games” in a place like that without making them all obnoxiously loud. Besides, when I’m there I’m much more excited about playing EM gems like tko, strange world, etc than playing WOZ, which I can play anywhere, and you can hear the chimes fine.

Del Ray is doing a magnificent job and people
    Would be smart to rip off their model.

#10 1 year ago

I was there a few weeks ago and had a great time. A few of the games need flipper rebuilds and a few other tweaks but the vast majority played great. Not to miss if your in the area.

1 week later
    #11 1 year ago

I have played the other silverball museum in Asbury park...It can be loud too..It really is the music volume that's

the culprit..I have gone when they first open and for awhile the music is either not on yet or low volume.The gent that

works there told me he doesn't like the loud music either but he is ordered to turn it up.

#12 1 year ago

Strange I have only been there during the day and never encountered this. I have to admit that a band or loud music from a DJ would be completely unwelcome by me.

1 week later
    #13 1 year ago

Down in Boca this weekend seeing my son at Lynn. Most likely I’ll be heading back to Silverball in Delray. Been there once and really liked it. Very different atmosphere than Asbury. Bar, pinball and bands is a great combination

#14 1 year ago

Go when it ain't busy, no special events. Google has busy-cycle histograms, any establishment's phone number to call for same day or planned events. Most establishments have Faceplant or A$$book information, as well as their own websites for schedules of events. Its easy, go when it ain't busy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 289.00
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,348.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside