(Topic ID: 198982)

Silverball mania switch row problems

By Flyingdisc1975

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a sbm that has a row of switches that occasionally go out the switches are the center pop bumper, the M out lane and the upper play field L target and according to the schematic are all on the same row this usually happens when the ball goes thru the top center lane that arms the kicker between the flippers i have replaced all switches and diodes in that row and on the kicker and have checked the connections on the j2 at the mpu this problem is intermittent and the switch row will start working again at the start of a new game and sometimes during the same game it also does not do it every game it is very random I'm new to pins within the last year or so just looking for a little help on where to check next thanks

#2 6 years ago

Maybe take a close look at the wiring and switches to make sure something is not shorting out when activated. Possible something is backwards or touching. Just a thought I'm new to all this too. Best of luck and please post resolution to help myself and others.

#3 6 years ago

Worn out connector pins and cracked solder joints are a main problem for old Bally games. Redo the pins on your switch connector and touch up the solder on the back of the pins

#4 6 years ago

Make sure all the connector pins are solid. If using OE boards and you don't have the skill to reflow the pins, consider an Alltek lamp board. I'd would replace all the connectors on the J1 MPU plug 1st, they send the signal to the lamp board. If you've never re-pinned a Bally see this:

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm

I've fixed several early Bally's this month (2 SBM's) and honestly I would just re-pin every single board connector 1st. It's a pain in the butt, with the proper tools and supplies it can be done in 4-5 hours. Will save time and heart ache long term. You can PM for more advice if needed.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Make sure all the connector pins are solid. If using OE boards and you don't have the skill to reflow the pins, consider an Alltek lamp board. I'd would replace all the connectors on the J1 MPU plug 1st, they send the signal to the lamp board. If you've never re-pinned a Bally see this:
I've fixed several early Bally's this month (2 SBM's) and honestly I would just re-pin every single board connector 1st. It's a pain in the butt, with the proper tools and supplies it can be done in 4-5 hours. Will save time and heart ache long term. You can PM for more advice if needed.

Quoted from tomdrum:

I will get the parts on order and report back with progress when I get the chance thanks to all for the advice

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 169.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-switch-row-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.