Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by grantopia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

My non-pinball buddy has a Silverball Mania that he acquired from his parents house. He has been recently (pre-virus) getting into playing a lot with me and finally got the bug to get his game going. I've been helping him work through a few issues on the phone and via text, but one has me stumped. When the game runs through the bonus sequence, it looks as if the score is adding up much slower than it should be compared to gameplay videos I've seen.

I don't have much hope that it's the display itself, but I told him to swap them and see if the issue remains. Anything else I can tell him to look at? I haven't ran into this issue on a classic Bally before and don't really have a great starting point since I don't have the game in front of me. I'm suspecting an MPU or IC problem but can't really talk him through that since I don't have access to the game and he isn't comfortable with board work yet.

Open to any ideas on this one!

#2 4 years ago

Only a couple ways I can see this happening. I doubt slow count is a problem with the display. It could be a problem with the RAM chip. Have him post a video of the slow display and a closeup of the MPU board itself.
Also what country are we talking about? North America or Europe? Could be a difference between 60 and 50 hz.

#3 4 years ago

Do any other game functions (scoring) seem to be moving slowly? A slow running game can be caused by the display interrupt generator running too fast on the MPU board. Pin 3 of U12 should read about 320 Hz. If it's running too fast, it causes the display interrupts to occupy a large chunk of the CPU time, slowing down the regular game functions.

#4 4 years ago

I've seen boards with C16 missing, or one leg is broken. This can cause the 555 timer to run way too fast, causing the symptom described above. Note that if the game is running slow, the sounds will NOT also slow down (like a tape at the wrong speed), because the sound board has own clock and oscillator.

#5 4 years ago

The rest of the game seems to score as normal, I'll see if I can get a good video of it. I had a few suggestions that a stuck closed switch can keep scoring after the ball drains also and cause this to happen. I'm having him check that and also try and unplug the connector from the mpu when its counting down to see if it accelerates.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 69.00
$ 169.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-slow-bonus-countdown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.