20230602_112936 (resized).jpg
20230524_162341 (resized).jpg
20230513_105340 (resized).jpg
20230303_092643 (resized).jpg
20230513_093756 (resized).jpg
20230505_133612 (resized).jpg
s583207973742842823_p75_i43_w1200.jpeg
23D26EE5-40AE-4331-84F4-34BB2BB734B7 (resized).jpeg
There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 4 years ago

When I restored my SBM, all switches / lamps got new diodes and/or caps.
Obviously lamps don't get caps.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

new caps on some of my switches fixed my intermittent not registering problems. most of all the caps had been cut on one leg.

Are you saying the cap legs were cut deliberately? Is there a reason why someone would do that?

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from malkneil:

Are you saying the cap legs were cut deliberately? Is there a reason why someone would do that?

More then likely yes, when the caps fail they usually fail closed so the switch reads as closed all the time. One of the first things you should do when you get a new to you game fired up is go into test mode and see what switches are reading or not reading. then if its reading closed all the time, cut one leg off the cap and see if it clears. If it doesn't, no harm no foul. If it does, replace the cap. Most people don't replace them since the game is working, they call it good.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

More then likely yes, when the caps fail they usually fail closed so the switch reads as closed all the time. One of the first things you should do when you get a new to you game fired up is go into test mode and see what switches are reading or not reading. then if its reading closed all the time, cut one leg off the cap and see if it clears. If it doesn't, no harm no foul. If it does, replace the cap. Most people don't replace them since the game is working, they call it good.

Hot damn that seemed to be the issue. Actually found the capacitor laying on the bottom of the inside of the cabinet. Tested it and it was working so just soldered it back in. I think we're good! Thanks everyone for the pointers.

4 weeks later
#105 4 years ago

I get my silverball mania tomorrow.

#106 4 years ago

Just have 3 bad lamp sockets to fix tomorrow.
Got a bunch of stuff fixed that wasnt working.
Almost there.

IMG_20190831_220301462 (resized).jpgIMG_20190831_220301462 (resized).jpgIMG_20190831_220318086 (resized).jpgIMG_20190831_220318086 (resized).jpgIMG_20190831_220332741 (resized).jpgIMG_20190831_220332741 (resized).jpg
#107 4 years ago

Just wondering Ane there any "musts" for silverball mania?

Eg. LEDs, plastic protectors, etc.

I'm thinking about swapping all the red posts out with clear. And put retro LEDs in the G.I. already. And have titan clear rubbers coming.

Anyone have pics of things they have done?

#109 4 years ago

Swapped red posts with blue. Added matrix to trough and some matrix on middle sides by spinners when I had mine.

20190703_195732 (resized).jpg20190703_195732 (resized).jpg
#110 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Just wondering Ane there any "musts" for silverball mania?
Eg. LEDs, plastic protectors, etc.
I'm thinking about swapping all the red posts out with clear. And put retro LEDs in the G.I. already. And have titan clear rubbers coming.
Anyone have pics of things they have done?

Depending on how rough your horseshoe looks getting a new one from Vid that really shines if he has any left is a good plan... beyond that, make sure you have to the correct posts in the middle of the horseshoe, game originally shipped with skinny posts making that shot too easy. Other than I'd leave the thing bog standard... early 80 Bally's don't need any bling imo

#111 4 years ago

Also check the caps on your standup targets and especially the rollovers in horseshoe. Mine were clipped and when I replaced them the game registered all hits consistently.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Also check the caps on your standup targets and especially the rollovers in horseshoe. Mine were clipped and when I replaced them the game registered all hits consistently.

All caps were replaced by the previous owner, everything works 100% now.
It only had 4 bad lamp sockets, and 3 dead scrs on the lamp driver board.
It was an easy fix.

I just want to see what others have done to dress up this already beautiful game.

I think I might put star post lights and clear or blue posts in the horseshoe.

I have clear titans coming.

#113 4 years ago

Put clear and blue posts in. Titans should be here soon. Just enjoying playing it now.

received_406864790021696 (resized).jpegreceived_406864790021696 (resized).jpegreceived_497918981037775 (resized).jpegreceived_497918981037775 (resized).jpeg
#114 4 years ago

Got titans in today.

Would anyone recommend not installing resistors to the cpu controlled lamp sockets.
So they will support LEDs.

Or do you think just buying this for $46 U.S + $45 shipping to Canada would be easier.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MB-07-010

$120 CDN, for the boards, or $10 and about an hour's time the resistor method.

If I do add resistors. I will put a sticker in the head to let any future owner know what's up.

IMG_20190910_155532129 (resized).jpgIMG_20190910_155532129 (resized).jpgIMG_20190910_155550259 (resized).jpgIMG_20190910_155550259 (resized).jpg
#115 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Or do you think just buying this for $46 U.S + $45 shipping to Canada would be easier.

^this

I used these exact boards on my SBM, definitely recommend!
You may want to check directly with Hans, his shipping might be less than Marco.

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=1

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

^this
I used these exact boards on my SBM, definitely recommend!
You may want to check directly with Hans, his shipping might be less than Marco.
http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=1

Thanks for the link. I'll check on shipping, and I'll think about it. I have the time to do it myself. But I was thinking if I end up getting another bally or stern it would be good to have.

#117 4 years ago

Just joined the club! It's a really clean machine. The owner didn't know anything about pins and had never opened it up. There's a little planking, but not bad. That's the good.
The bad is very minimal. The up kicker and kick down coils were disconnected. I tested the coils and resistance is good. So, I hooked them up. The up kicker locked on power up. So, I tested the Q12 transistor and it was bad. I replaced Q12 transistor and now the coil doesn't lock on when I power up. But when I go to the solenoid test, it fires and locks on. All other coils test fine.
So, where should I go on the solenoid driver board now? Replacing Q12 was easy enough but I don't know where to go from there.
Any advice is solicited. Cheers!
WP_20190911_18_19_26_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20190911_18_19_26_Pro (resized).jpg

Update: I tested the resistors on the driver board and they appear to be okay. When testing the coils I noticed that one leg of the diode was loose. So, I replaced the diode and it's working now!!!

Added over 5 years ago:

I spent some more time on it today. I had some phantom switches around the tilt area. Replaced the tilt cap and noticed the roll ball tilt was disconnected. I connected it and found that the 1N4148 diode was bad. Replaced that and it works great now! Repaired one bad display and it's up and running!!! I'm so luck that all the boards are good and everything is working great.
Now on to the restoration phase.
Cheers!

2 weeks later
#118 4 years ago

Can anyone explain the settings so the word "SILVERBALL" on the backglass is spelled out?

On my game the "S" is always lit, no matter what the playfield lamps are lit.

Thanks.

Robert

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Can anyone explain the settings so the word "SILVERBALL" on the backglass is spelled out?

Page 4A of the manual says:

SBM_Backbox_Silverball.jpgSBM_Backbox_Silverball.jpg

#120 4 years ago

Well, maybe i'm not OCD enough to be able to make the correct settings.

During play only the S and the last L light on the backglass...regardless of how many times I hit the switches with my finger. The S is always on and the last L is on sometimes and off others.

When I cycle the switch under the playfield, all of the backglass lights will illuminate 1 by 1, with each push.

Using an Alltek MPU.

Switch settings: 1-6=off, 7-8=on, 9-14=off, 15-16=on, 17-20=off, 21-24=on, 25-27=off, 28=on, 29=off, 30=on, 31=off, 32=on

Robert

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

During play only the S and the last L light on the backglass...

Are these lamps flashing or stuck on during game mode? Do they flash in lamp test mode?
You spell one letter of SILVERBALL on the back glass each time you achieve a "Silverball Mania Special". To test it, keep hitting the horseshoe switches until you've made that achievement.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You spell one letter of SILVERBALL on the back glass each time you achieve a "Silverball Mania Special".

OK...thanks for the info.

The lights illuminate as you say. Has anyone ever lit all of those lamps, starting with them all off? That would be a hell of a game and score!

Robert

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

OK...thanks for the info.
The lights illuminate as you say. Has anyone ever lit all of those lamps, starting with them all off? That would be a hell of a game and score!
Robert

Yes, back in the day when SBM came out, and most likely still had the skinny posts in the horseshoe. Go to the arcade when it opened, put 25¢ in, shoot the horseshoe over, and over, and over, etc. Usually on ball one you'd have at least either an extra ball or a credit, press to add a player, buddy plays too. Run the meter all the way up to 40. Sell credits for $5.00 (1/2 price!) to waiting players. Play other games. Repeat about 2 hours later. Great way to spend an entire day in the arcade for a quarter.

I'm sure they had the settings on VERY liberal, you were spotting the backglass letters a lot.

There's a rom that blocks the horseshoe from spotting letters in a progressive manner or blocks it entirely. Changes the entire game. Also I think it's settable to not light the kicker..... that's reserved for the upper middle lane.

I wish when they designed it that the left spinner went SOMEWHERE. Double back up to the playfield top like so many games had, but it's fun. I never shoot the left spinner.

If you move the cabinet correctly when the ball is coming out of the kicker you can get it to go through the horseshoe, lighting it again (this is with a semi liberal tilt, obviously)

3 weeks later
#124 4 years ago

anybody know a source for playfield mylar cut for silverball mania?

#125 4 years ago

I am about to get started on my Silverball playfield. It's in okay shape except for the right outlane. Is there any source for a decal or partial overlay for this? I don't want to do a full overlay, just this bad section is all that is unacceptable.

IMG_8987 (resized).JPGIMG_8987 (resized).JPG
#126 4 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I am about to get started on my Silverball playfield. It's in okay shape except for the right outlane. Is there any source for a decal or partial overlay for this? I don't want to do a full overlay, just this bad section is all that is unacceptable.[quoted image]

Not that I know of, just one for the center of the playfield is available.

3 weeks later
#127 4 years ago

First post here. Just bought my first machine from malkneil - #Silverball Mania. Love it. The insert lights recently went out except for an occasional flicker. Any ideas? I've unplugged connectors to the lamp board and reconnected, wiggled wires, and still basically no insert lights. The manual says to replace the lamp board which I am hoping I don't have to if there is a simple fix. If I do have to go that route though, where would I find one?

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes, back in the day when SBM came out, and most likely still had the skinny posts in the horseshoe. Go to the arcade when it opened, put 25¢ in, shoot the horseshoe over, and over, and over, etc. Usually on ball one you'd have at least either an extra ball or a credit, press to add a player, buddy plays too. Run the meter all the way up to 40. Sell credits for $5.00 (1/2 price!) to waiting players. Play other games. Repeat about 2 hours later. Great way to spend an entire day in the arcade for a quarter.
If you move the cabinet correctly when the ball is coming out of the kicker you can get it to go through the horseshoe, lighting it again (this is with a semi liberal tilt, obviously)

Yup! SBM was my money maker at the arcade all day long. Did exactly the same thing. Rack up a shit load of credits, sell to guy waiting then when my money ram low would go back and do it again. At 13 years old 5 bucks went a long way back then.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballMan:

Any ideas? I've unplugged connectors to the lamp board and reconnected, wiggled wires, and still basically no insert lights.

Likely needs repinning and reflowing of the board / connectors.

Suggest you start here:
http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern_Electronics_Repair_Guides (site is having some problems but come back to it later)

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=silverball+mania&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2156

#130 4 years ago

Congratulations on the Silverball Mania purchase and welcome to the club! Atari_Daze has pointed you in the right direction on diagnosis and repair, but to your other question:

Quoted from SilverballMan:

If I do have to go that route though, where would I find one?

If you need a replacement original board they are very findable, but Alltek makes a replacement lamp board for about $120. I recently swapped my original out for this as it solves LED flicker issues quite well.

There are lots of resources on this site, and many amazing and helpful people who are willing to share their tips and tricks.

#131 4 years ago

TDK-WPG Thanks for the resource. I think I will go that route.

Quoted from TDK-WPG:

Congratulations on the Silverball Mania purchase and welcome to the club! Atari_Daze has pointed you in the right direction on diagnosis and repair, but to your other question:

If you need a replacement original board they are very findable, but Alltek makes a replacement lamp board for about $120. I recently swapped my original out for this as it solves LED flicker issues quite well.
There are lots of resources on this site, and many amazing and helpful people who are willing to share their tips and tricks.

1 month later
#132 4 years ago

New to the club, looking for a working Silverball mania.
I am in Central Va.
thx

3 months later
2 weeks later
#134 3 years ago

Can anyone upload a good photo of the wiring for the flippers under the playfield? We’re restoring a Silverball but the game didn’t come with the flipper mechs at all, so we’re trying to wire it properly.

Right now we have power to the coils, but they won’t fire when we press the flippers buttons. Everything else works though.

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Can anyone upload a good photo of the wiring for the flippers under the playfield?

If no one does by morning, I can when I get to work.

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Can anyone upload a good photo of the wiring for the flippers under the playfield? We’re restoring a Silverball but the game didn’t come with the flipper mechs at all, so we’re trying to wire it properly.
Right now we have power to the coils, but they won’t fire when we press the flippers buttons. Everything else works though.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HgVxWbyMWJRMewFu7

Pic you're looking for should be in here.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Pic you're looking for should be in here.

This is awesome! Just what I was looking for. Really appreciate the help.

#138 3 years ago

hey question for you owners, I have a repair job coming in and the dude wants me to LED his game too.

I typically always use comet non-ghosting bulbs. Is that sufficient on this system or will I need to get a board as well? Thx

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

I typically always use comet non-ghosting bulbs. Is that sufficient on this system or will I need to get a board as well?

I put Siegecraft boards in mine with much satisfaction.

hans (resized).jpghans (resized).jpg
#140 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I put Siegecraft boards in mine with much satisfaction.

And in case you don't know what Atari_Daze is referring to, check out Vid's guide.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-ballystern-led-adapter-kit-review

1 week later
#141 3 years ago

Hello, update. Got the game in my hands, going thru it and getting things to work again 1 by 1.

Major issue at the moment is no insert lights at all. I'm getting goofy voltage at TP1 on the rectifier board. The fuse associated with is good, and all the BRs on the board tested within spec.

Due to low cost and shit design I went ahead and ordered a drop-in replacement for this rectifier board. Anyone have any theories I could explore before it arrives that may result in inserts lighting up?

thx.

#142 3 years ago

Found this in my game and scanned it in case there is no record of it. I know some people love these and I appreciate a good curiosity.

SBM Scan (resized).jpgSBM Scan (resized).jpg
1 week later
#143 3 years ago

What is the situation with the backglass currently? Repros available?
If so, from where?
Anyone have a pristine glass available?
(It is going on the wall in a lit box...this is one of the most epic glasses in all of pinball!)

#144 3 years ago

I am about to list a silverball mania project.
Feel free to PM if interested.

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

If so, from where?

Currently available from CPR here:

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/silverball-mania-2/

They are awesome!

#146 3 years ago

In the club picked this up last Thursday for 200 bucks all switches working need new posts by horse shoe found the missing wire form in the cab

781882CE-98D4-4AF6-B1EC-A37F04771060 (resized).jpeg781882CE-98D4-4AF6-B1EC-A37F04771060 (resized).jpeg0693B2D9-A4A9-4CDF-87BA-241C62C4911C (resized).jpeg0693B2D9-A4A9-4CDF-87BA-241C62C4911C (resized).jpeg3646C796-39FD-4045-A0F0-AF5CB3B17A70 (resized).jpeg3646C796-39FD-4045-A0F0-AF5CB3B17A70 (resized).jpegE918A451-6E0D-42D9-AF6C-F843D92EEABB (resized).jpegE918A451-6E0D-42D9-AF6C-F843D92EEABB (resized).jpeg60D1B8AE-026D-48C9-9EC9-A0544DA02231 (resized).jpeg60D1B8AE-026D-48C9-9EC9-A0544DA02231 (resized).jpeg
#147 3 years ago
Quoted from dar8dar:

In the club picked this up last Thursday for 200 bucks all switches working need new posts by horse shoe found the missing wire form in the cab
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Where do you find a pin for $200?

#148 3 years ago

Looking for SBM in MD, Va, DC in good condition.

#149 3 years ago

This is second 200 dollar purchase got a
Buck Rogers about 4 years ago better condition then this only work I did to it was add leds

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

If so, from where?
Anyone have a pristine glass available?
(It is going on the wall in a lit box...this is one of the most epic glasses in all of pinball!)

I have a new mirrored remake with just a couple tiny tiny flaws that I would sell but I won't ship, pu only cause it's glass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.00
$ 199.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/3?hl=ss-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.