20230602_112936 (resized).jpg
20230524_162341 (resized).jpg
20230513_105340 (resized).jpg
20230303_092643 (resized).jpg
20230513_093756 (resized).jpg
20230505_133612 (resized).jpg
s583207973742842823_p75_i43_w1200.jpeg
23D26EE5-40AE-4331-84F4-34BB2BB734B7 (resized).jpeg
There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 8 years ago

I posted a guide on how to fabricate a new, mirror finish horseshoe from scratch:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-new-ball-guides-from-scratch-vids-guide

1 week later
#52 8 years ago

Here is a pic of one of the brand new, heavier duty horseshoes for SBM.

430277.jpg430277.jpg

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Here is a pic of one of the brand new, heavier duty horseshoes for SBM.

430277.jpg

Beautiful work as usual vid.

1 month later
#54 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A few years back someone had a ROM image that did not spot a letter every time you did the center loop. It made SBM a perfect playing game.
Anyone still have that image?

Any luck finding this custom software Vid? I gave a SBM on the way and would love to get this version.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Any luck finding this custom software Vid? I gave a SBM on the way and would love to get this version.

I emailed Scott (Seymour Shadow) and never heard back.

Maybe he's pissed at me or something, lol.

He is/was here on pinside and on RGP if anyone else wants to give it a shot.

1 week later
#56 8 years ago

Concerning the modified rom file to delete the "spot letter" feature of the horseshoe:

I found this 4 year old post from Seymour-Shabow:

http://rec.games.pinball.narkive.com/4UsCL6OW/has-anyone-created-a-new-silverball-mania-rom

I just did the mod to the normal 2732 binary for U2 and it at least passes the Checksum test on the bench (unable to game test at this time).

So, if anyone wants to try the mod and test it, here is the change (Again, as stated by Seymour-Shabow)

Original code in U2 binary:

Address 00A6 = 2A 02 8D 1C 8D

New code for U2 binary:

Address 00A6 = 01 01 20 02 3E

As stated in the old post: The 01 are NOPs (No Operation) commands. The 20 is a Branch Always (02 from Program counter) and the 3E corrects the block of EPROM data to pass Checksum testing.

I state again, this is NOT game tested by me as of yet. Only bench tested to pass power up tests.

#57 8 years ago

Other changes that could make things a tad better. 10 sec timer on the ball save kicker.

No memory on letters from ball to ball.
I can not believe it does not have an opion to start from scratch each ball.

I will have to give that rom hack a try sometime. But just to increase bonus NO letter. That is taking fun away.

Free play and divide by ten scoring is what I would really like to have.

#58 8 years ago

Well, the spot letter off the horse shoe is the one feature that made the game way too easy for a skilled player to kill the specials. So, one would think its the perfect fix for anyone that would want to operate one on location today. Without the spotting, it forces you to shoot the rest of the playfield to complete all the letters.

Its been a while since I played mine but I would think it would be VERY hard if all the letters were to reset at the end of every ball.

It appears based on Vid's post in the other SBM thread, Seymour-Shabow (or is it Seymore Shadow?) did finally respond and you can PM him for the files.

1 week later
#59 8 years ago

I got my project game and spare parts today. It will be a while before I can get to it, but it will be sweet when finished!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-like-paragon-you-will-love/page/5#post-2678278

10 months later
#60 7 years ago

Anyone know the size of the plastic posts either side of the N target in front of the horseshoe? Mine still has the skinny metal ones, and it's way too easy. I saw a post somewhere with the bulletin from Bally about it. But I can't seem to find it again.

#61 7 years ago

Think im selling my silverball mania $850 takes it

6 months later
#62 7 years ago

Revivng this thread again ...

I always wanted this machine, and finally got one off of e-Bay. I paid a pretty penny for a machine in "Very Good" shape. Playfield is in decent shape, as is the cabinet. Not stunning, but pretty nice overall. It could use a good cleaning.

Backglass is in decent shape, but the "S" and "I" in the SILVERBALL are mostly missing.

Since I got the machine I have done the following:

1) Installed all new rubbers

2) Some of the plastic finned posts were PURPLE - I changed them back to the original RED.

3) Fiddled with the horseshoe rollover switches a lot! Half the time it wouldn't register, but now it almost always registers, very rare that it does not.

4) Fiddled with the "A" left inlane rollover - another problem switch. Turns out the resistor came off on one end - I resoldered it.

5) Replaced all the boards with new ones, except the sound board. New ALLTEK MPU / Lamp Driver / Solenoid Driver boards. New Rottendog Rectifier board.

6) Replaced a few problem bulb sockets.

7) Installed the new XPin 7voluition 7 digit displays.

To take advantage of the new 7 digit displays I changed the center hoop posts with the original mini posts for higher scores.

9) Spinners were pretty beat up, I installed new spinner decals.

10) Bought a new plastics set, but keeping this for a future upgrade. Plastics are OK, but a little warped, and I cracked the center horseshoe plastic trying to remove it. Not noticeable, however.

11) Bought a bottle of Wildcat #125 as well as another playfield cleaner, but have not doen anything with that yet.

12) Installed LED's in the pop bumpers and dead bumpers.

Machine plays pretty good now, and my High Score is 2,387,220. I just need to get around to cleaning the playfield - it's pretty dirty. Rubbers are less than 2 months old and are getting dirty as well.

I've attached psotos of the machine ...

Cabinet (resized).JPGCabinet (resized).JPG
Displays (resized).JPGDisplays (resized).JPG
PF (resized).JPGPF (resized).JPG
Boards 1 (resized).JPGBoards 1 (resized).JPG
Boards 2 (resized).JPGBoards 2 (resized).JPG
Xpin Install (resized).JPGXpin Install (resized).JPG
IMG_2390 (resized).JPGIMG_2390 (resized).JPG
IMG_2391 (resized).JPGIMG_2391 (resized).JPG
IMG_2392 (resized).JPGIMG_2392 (resized).JPG
IMG_2393 (resized).JPGIMG_2393 (resized).JPG
IMG_2395 (resized).JPGIMG_2395 (resized).JPG
IMG_2403 (resized).JPGIMG_2403 (resized).JPG
IMG_2405 (resized).JPGIMG_2405 (resized).JPG
IMG_2406 (resized).JPGIMG_2406 (resized).JPG

#63 7 years ago

That's a Classic, I hope you restore it. I have a new CPR glass that I want to build a light box for. I just love the art.

1 month later
#64 7 years ago

Picked mine up in January. Our household has fallen in love with it! She's got some wear and tear showing, but she earned it! Clean and polished will be just fine. I had to replace the lamp driver board, flippers rebuilt, leds added throughout. I paid 975 for it.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from TnJHead:

Picked mine up in January. Our household has fallen in love with it! She's got some wear and tear showing, but she earned it! Clean and polished will be just fine. I had to replace the lamp driver board, flippers rebuilt, leds added throughout. I paid 975 for it.

Yeah that looks pretty nice. How badly are the inserts cupped?

4 weeks later
#66 6 years ago

Howdy fellow SBM owners, I'd like to join your ranks. I just picked up a SBM last night and wish to share a few pics, it will be getting re-worked and I plan to open a restoration thread to capture it's progress.
Cab is decent, much better than the last pin I worked on. The boards appear decent, one minor spot of alkaline damage, not sure yet if I'll just clean it or replace it. I'm competent with board level repairs, just not sure yet if this machine needs a new MPU. It does fully function so I'm leaning to just cleaning it, repinning it, reflowing it and replacing all the caps. The worst issue is by far the playfield. It has significant wear, lots of missing paint and almost all the inserts are severely cupped. I'm on the lookout for either a CPR playfield or looking into subcontracting repair to the current playfield. One question for those in the know, if I go with a restore of the existing playfeild, what are your thoughts of replacing all the old inserts with new starburst type?

IMG_6145 (resized).JPGIMG_6145 (resized).JPG

IMG_6170 (resized).JPGIMG_6170 (resized).JPG

IMG_6144 (resized).JPGIMG_6144 (resized).JPG

#67 6 years ago

^ That's an early one.

#68 6 years ago

ESM =early silverball mania. Lol

Yeah mine is ESM10083.

1 month later
#69 6 years ago

Hello fellow SBM owners! It is my current go to game in my collection. Anyway, I started a thread about the spinners being lit with MANIA and trying to figure out why they stay lit from ball to ball or not. Still haven't figured that out, but anyway. . .

My current question is about the up kicker. Like one out of every 20 times it kicks the ball out it might be kicked out into the flipper and then drain (not making it onto the playfield at all). Is this a mis-adjustment issue of the kicker, or just a normal occurrence? The other times it is generally pretty much up the middle. I can't really see much adjustment that is possible.

2 weeks later
#70 6 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

The other times it is generally pretty much up the middle.

I noticed on the game I have, which is undergoing restore, it kicked all over the place. I did not investigate it very close initially since I procured it to tear down and restore. Once the game is all done, I'll give it a better inspection and advise how it performs.

#71 6 years ago

Mine, which is in need of a restoration... kicks straight up the middle, hits just to the right or just to the left the yellow target and falls to the flipper. It kicks hard and fast though

#72 6 years ago

I would say mine acts same as roar.

#73 6 years ago

I examined the mechanism and cleaned up the coil sleeves and made sure everything was OK. I am not seeing anywhere to adjust. Maybe when it happens the ball is not sitting square in the channel or something. Anyway, so far so good. It happened so rarely, but it is annoying when it does happen.

#74 6 years ago

Yeah if memory serves me it is just a flat metal finger that pushes it. I would suspect that maybe yours is not squared off anymore and possibly rounded over on one side. Or maybe not sitting against it, or possibly a pf divot.

3 months later
#75 6 years ago

Hey guys, time for me to join the thread. SBM was my original introduction to pinball here in the uk when I was 9 yrs old. I have been looking for one for ages but they were not too common here.

A week ago someone asked for some help in getting an SBM running that had been left in a damp garage for best part of 25 years. The backbox is completely shot, not backglass (anyone have a spare?) and the lower cab has paint peeling.

The playfield though was remarkably good, lots of white dust etc but mylar from new and from the look of the pop bumper caps, could have been a lower used machine, also very little wear anywhere the mylar didn't cover.

So someone has given me an old bally backbox that I can sand and stencil, boards are all savable but hardest thing is the glass...

Anyways here's a few pics in the as found condition. I paid just $135 for it due to the condition and the fact the owner didn't want to spend the thousands of $ to restore it.

So yeah, if anyone has a backglass, anywhere that they would ship to UK please let me know.

Cheers n Beers

Courtney x

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg

7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg

8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg

9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg

10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg

#76 6 years ago

Any hints guys on cleaning the dirt from the paint cracks like in this pic?

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from CourtneyBlush:

Any hints guys on cleaning the dirt from the paint cracks like in this pic?

Use a magic eraser but DON'T use alcohol. I tried alcohol in an inconspicuous spot when starting to clean my Space Invaders (also an early Bally SS) and the alcohol ate right into their "Tuffcoat" clear. Judicious use of magic eraser and naphtha and you should be able to get quite a bit of that dirt out, but you'll never be able to remove it all so don't ruin your playfield by trying to.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from CourtneyBlush:

Not if you go to check out

Shoot... sorry about that!

3 months later
#81 6 years ago

i have a question, i have since recently moved a silverball mania from my dad's place to my place. but since i've been playing it more often i noticed that some features don't work. for instance if i get all the letters from silverball mania, i get the 15000 bonus, but if i then complete the letters again i don't get the 30000 bonus. all the sensors work fine. if somebody could help me. that would be awesome.

#82 6 years ago

IS it possible that the 30,000 light is out? What actual bonus do you get if Silverball Mania is made a 2nd time? If you complete it a 3rd time, does the red Kickout Special light up?

#83 6 years ago

Before and after recent restoration.

IMG_6151 (resized).JPGIMG_6151 (resized).JPG

20180301_191436 (resized).jpg20180301_191436 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#84 6 years ago

Just finished our magnet mod for SilverBall Mania. Working on custom cabinet decals next.

FAB58740-EF91-440D-8933-71BA00A7C1A9 (resized).pngFAB58740-EF91-440D-8933-71BA00A7C1A9 (resized).png

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

magnet mod for SilverBall Mania.

Wow, very cool!

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Just finished our magnet mod for SilverBall Mania. Working on custom cabinet decals next.

Can't tell where the pf ends and the apron begins. That's the way to do it. I don't have the game but I'd want it for the art.

1 week later
#87 5 years ago

Just finished the art for my new cabinet decals for SilverBall.

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 10.37.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-27 at 10.37.43 AM (resized).png

1 week later
#88 5 years ago

NinJaBooT, great job on the magnet - any ETA for when you'll have it in production and available for sale on your online store?

1 year later
#89 4 years ago

Just finished up this Silverball Mania that I got last summer. I'm really happy the way this one turned out, it wasn't a disaster but it was far from perfect. Took a lot of elbow grease to get this one finished. New rectifier board installed all solder was reflowed on mpu, soundboard, and displays. New LED GI lighting on Playfieldand back box, replace star inserts. Cleaned all mechanisms and put in new coil sleeves.
Waxed the Playfield, installed new rubber kit and some new star posts, new pop bumper cap set and nvram installed. Will be at GSPF 2019

IMG_20190508_140456_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20190508_140456_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20190508_140531 (resized).jpgIMG_20190508_140531 (resized).jpgIMG_20190508_140547 (resized).jpgIMG_20190508_140547 (resized).jpgIMG_20190508_140602 (resized).jpgIMG_20190508_140602 (resized).jpgIMG_20190508_140620 (resized).jpgIMG_20190508_140620 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#90 4 years ago

I can see from the number of posts that this isn't a very popular game!

I pick one up about a week ago and got it working. I took a spare Alltek MPU and installed it yesterday and the game seems to work ok.

Not sure what the issue with the previous MPU yet, but game is working now...as well as a 39 year old game can.

Robert

IMG_20190718_175036 (resized).jpgIMG_20190718_175036 (resized).jpg

#91 4 years ago

Robert, congratulations on the "new to you" SBM - it looks to be in amazing shape! This pin was my first true pin love when it first came out, and was also my first pin just over a year ago. Enjoy!!

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I can see from the number of posts that this isn't a very popular game!
[quoted image]

Yeah, it's a great looking pin, but the gameplay is meh at best

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Yeah, it's a great looking pin, but the gameplay is meh at best

Presently, it's my grand daughters favorite pinball machine to play. I think it's the simplicity of it that she likes.

Robert

#94 4 years ago

I love this games art work but yes game play can be a bit meh. I made mine super tough to loop the multiplier when I rebuilt the topside of the playfield. A lot more challenging.

2530074B-C7FA-4235-8444-FC64F37A8DDA (resized).jpeg2530074B-C7FA-4235-8444-FC64F37A8DDA (resized).jpeg
#95 4 years ago

Just about done 'restoring' a SBM machine that was found in the basement of a house. I got an AllTek board and an LED adapter for the lamp board so I could outfit it with LEDs. The Comet warm LEDs look pretty good in it.

One nagging issue that still bugs me is that center 'N' spot target. It seems to not register a hit all the time. I gather this might be because it takes a lot of the fast shots, either from the outlane kicker or just from the flips. I've tried to adjust it but it still doesn't register all the time. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if it just needs more adjustment, needs a new switch/target, or possibly could having something to do with the Alltek board and how often the strobes 'sample' for hits.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

#96 4 years ago

malkneil I had a similar problem on my SBM. I'd check the disc cap on the switch which lengthens the time that the MPU board has to register the switch. If you've got it adjusted and it's still missing some but not all then it's likely the cap is bad or missing.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from malkneil:

It seems to not register a hit all the time. I gather this might be because it takes a lot of the fast shots

Does it have the capacitor on it?

.047 mfd if memory serves.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Does it have the capacitor on it?
.047 mfd if memory serves.[quoted image]

Thanks for the suggestion guys! I'm at work but will check it out later.

#99 4 years ago

Cgts on getting this classic. This and Centaur were the first Pinball games I ever played and hooked me completely. I plan to start a restoration on mine next year.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from malkneil:

Thanks for the suggestion guys! I'm at work but will check it out later.

new caps on some of my switches fixed my intermittent not registering problems. most of all the caps had been cut on one leg.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/2?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.