Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Got a good one for everyone. I have a SBM that I'm bringing back from the dead. Everything seems to be working right now but no sound. Looking for a direction to look in.

All boards have been pulled, gone thru and all are working correctly (tested in other machine) including the sound card which sound was perfect in Viking. All voltages test correct/within range on the sound card. If I use the rebuilt -35 I can get the coin up tones out of it but the second you press the start button it dies. Altek board it is dead no matter what. Nothing in sound test, nothing from test button on card with either mpu. Re-pinned the 5v unregulated from rectifier board because the connector looked burnt. Pulled and checked ever pin from mpu and solenoid that passes thru the sound card. Speaker tested and second known working speaker both tested no sound. Checked continuity at all the connectors to and from sound card.

Any help would be appreciated

#2 6 years ago

As a follow up, go some direction from someone off site and started going thru the header pins. After getting some noise out of the card from re pinning the mpu J4, I found a problem with the solenoid board. U3 seems to have a shorted leg and after swapping in and altek, sound fired up and played fine. Problem now appears to be somewhere else as chip blew out again on the original board after replacement.

#3 6 years ago

MPU j4 sends out 5 bits of signals. Four of those bits are encoded data that both the sound board and the solenoid board receive. The fifth bit is the toggle that says the data is for the sound board or for the solenoids.

u3 is a single chip with 7 transistors inside of it. it has a TTL chip 74154 between it and any sound stuff. I would think it in unrelated.

Is SDB U3 blew out twice. Id suspect you have bad solenoid circuit problems. Are you having trouble with any solenoids not working?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 179.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 169.00
$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-no-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.