You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150707_080237.jpg
IMG_20150707_080259.jpg
IMG_20150707_080252.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Cleaning a recently purchased Silverball Mania. Game for the most part played upon receipt and set up.

After playing for a few days the machine now does not play. The start up process works fine, MPU self-test diode flashes once and then the six additional times per the manual. Displays light up appropriately, all the lights, GI and display light and stay lit, then, whether I try and start a game or not, after about 20-30 seconds the "game over" tune plays and the game is dead. Lights remain on but nothing reacts.

It won't let me run the manual diagnostic test.

Early on, when the self-diagnostic test did work, it did show that switch 34 was not working properly (pop-bumpers). I have also had problems with the sling firing and not stopping, although I think that was solved by adjusting the rubber ring and the switch.

Thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

When you flip the coin switch in the door, does it chime?

#3 8 years ago

Does it rack up credits in the credit window?

#4 8 years ago

No chime, no ability to add credits. There are 5 credits remaining on the game. If I hit the button to start a game it decreases the credits by one but no game plays.

#5 8 years ago

Are you able to get into solenoid test?

#6 8 years ago

Unfortunately not at the moment, not since I've begun having this problem.

Originally I could, before this problem showed itself. When I ran the solenoid test it showed an error with 34, which is the pop bumpers, which oddly, looked as if they were working just fine. The only other problem i was having was the right sling having a bit of a mind of its own, rapidly firing. I got it a little better by working with the contact of the switch. Still stuck when I ran the solenoid test though.

#7 8 years ago

Fuses all good ?

#8 8 years ago

Yup, all fuses are good. Even put in new ones to make sure it had the right amps.

#9 8 years ago

Was there battery acid damage ?

#10 8 years ago

Does not appear as such. As I said, it worked without problem for a day or two.

If in fact it is a solenoid problem with the pop bumpers, what would the remedy be? Is there something I could,identify and make an easy fix? I feel like I need to start somewhere.

#11 8 years ago

I guess what I'm getting at ,is if there was any acid damage those connectors pins in that area of the mpu could have intermittent problems.
I personally wouldn't worry about the Pop bumper until the game is able to start a game.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

I feel like I need to start somewhere.

First, post some pics of the board, especially the lower left hand side, so we can see what battery damage there is.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/2#post-1490986

#13 8 years ago

Here are some pics.

IMG_20150707_080252.jpgIMG_20150707_080252.jpg

IMG_20150707_080259.jpgIMG_20150707_080259.jpg

IMG_20150707_080237.jpgIMG_20150707_080237.jpg

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

Here are some pics.

Right now, before you go to work: CUT THAT WHITE BATTERY OFF OF THE CPU BOARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 8 years ago

You do have some corrosion near CR7 on the CPU board. Not bad, but should be cleaned up before it travels further.

Lot's of hacky black electrical tape on wires above the CPU board connectors. Always a bad sign (real techs use shrink tubing to protect splices, because tape unravels and gets sticky goo on everything). The J4 wires look like they should have been long enough to reach the connector without the splices (maybe somebody did not own a crimper?) .

#16 8 years ago

I noticed all the black tape.But all that was there when I started working on this machine, and games played. It's only since I've been cleaning it up, replacing bulbs, rubber, etc. that all of a sudden the game craps out.

The more I read, it now seems as if the only things lighting on power up, after the MPU self check, are the GI lights and the display. Not sure if that changes any thought on this.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

I noticed all the black tape.But all that was there when I started working on this machine, and games played.

The magic of electric tape is that it could totally not work just by letting it sit for a while.

Quoted from Leosac:

The more I read, it now seems as if the only things lighting on power up, after the MPU self check, are the GI lights and the display.

Just a note: The GI lights are totally seperate and a step below the MPU even showing stuff on the displays as they're hardwired to their own voltage and aren't board controlled. Seeing as you have stuff on the displays though is a good sign. Sounds like the MPU is locking up. No partial attract or like a "paused" attract mode, huh?

Do Ballys have diagnostic dipswitches? Clearing the saved memory, etc.? Might be useful to try those if they do.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

The magic of electric tape is that it could totally not work just by letting it sit for a while.

Truth

#19 8 years ago

OK, this is not a "fix", but pull all the connectors 1/2 off of the CPU and the Lamp board (directly below it) and push them back on - does the game work? That means the pins and connectors need to be replaced.

Next, push all the chips back down in their sockets - does the game work? That means the sockets need to be replaced.

#20 8 years ago

Bingo! 1/2 off and replace. Game now works better than when I got it.

Many thanks.

So now the big question....leave well enough alone and play for a while OR with my very limited know how, shoot for a more permanent fix but risk a total fail by changing the connectors?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

So now the big question....leave well enough alone and play for a while OR with my very limited know how, shoot for a more permanent fix but risk a total fail by changing the connectors?

It will fail again soon, but you can play it.

At some point, you will want to actually fix the connectors, or have someone else do it for you.

#22 8 years ago

Plenty of how-to videos on connector replacement. GPE has the tools, parts.

#23 8 years ago

Thanks

#24 8 years ago

Glad you got it working. SBM is a great game. I miss mine. I should have not sold it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 45.00
$ 45.00
$ 199.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 169.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 179.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 99.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elk Grove, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-goes-through-start-up-but-wont-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.