New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 178332)

Silverball Mania - Coin Door Coil?

By chippe01

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

This topic is closed.

#1 3 years ago

What is the purpose of the coil on the coin door? The reason I ask is because today I was adjusting some switches, and I turned the machine on to test. I had one hand on the coin door, and pressed the start button to start a game. As soon as I pressed start, I felt and heard a buzzing from the coin door. I turned the game off and back on, no buzzing. I pressed the start button again, and the buzzing started again.

Knowing that a credit switch was rigged to the coin return, i pressed the coin return button and the buzzing stopped. I pressed the start button again and the buzzing started up again.

So it seems that pressing Start energizes this coil and pressing coin return stops it. Rather than disconnecting the coin return credit option, i took one end off of the coil. I'm just wondering what the coil is for.

It appear wires were added to one of the coin return switches but I can't figure out how this was done. I'm also wondering if this could be causing any other harm.

Any advice?

#2 3 years ago

It's the coin reject coil. It is energized when you turn the game on. It's not needed.

#3 3 years ago

Thank you. Is it supposed to be energized all the time? Just curious.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

Thank you. Is it supposed to be energized all the time? Just curious.

Anytime the game is on it should be energized to keep those rods out of the coin mechs. When the power is off it releases and those rods block the mechs ago all coins go to the return. In older games you couldn't tell if the game was on or off. When a game ended the lights would go out. This is a legacy thing from those days. In the "newer" games the lights are on if the game is on so no one would put coins in an off machine.

#5 3 years ago

If the game has achieved maximum allowable credits, then that coin lockout coil will switch off so the machine can reject any coins being inserted.

On Ballys of that era, there are also times during a game where that coil will briefly switch off, such as when it's doing end of ball bonus countdown and resetting the playfield for the next player/ball in play - etc.

#6 3 years ago

Looks like there are identical threads going on right now, so please hop over to this one:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-coin-door-coil

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 159.00
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 22.50

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside