(Topic ID: 315553)

Silver Slugger- A great game that nobody cares about (but you should)

By shacklersrevenge

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you ever played Silver Slugger? ”

• Yes 5 votes
    56%
  • No 4 votes
    44%

(9 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

06A5D8F1-AFE8-41B9-A544-4DF382CC2573 (resized).jpeg
FE75DD32-1B9D-4807-935C-C1AE94A1846F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shacklersrevenge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

It’s perhaps easy to get swept away with all the hype and play of all the newer games and their cutting edge designs and new innovations.
Along with all that rich gameplay experience and fancy rules, comes an even bigger price tag though.

Silver Slugger is often times referred to as a game that “sucks”
When you ask someone why it sucks, they’ll just smile and say “because it sucks”

Gottliebs Silver Slugger never pretends to be something that it’s not and makes no apologies for what it is.
While other manufacturers were implementing a dot matrix display and ramp after ramp, Gottlieb decided to keep the playfield flat and stick to old school displays.
This move didn’t get them many fans or the earnings that they were hoping for.
Maybe it was a financial strategy or bridge to DMD, but the six “street level” games they produced are truly the end of an era.

Silver Slugger is surely a unique playing experience, but the reasons that make it addicting only ads to its charm.
For starters you have an all yellow cabinet.
The backglass animation work with the lighting is nothing short of superb, simulating a ball being hit or flashing lights to light up the player on base in game, while also strobing the words “Silver Slugger”

Hitting home runs never gets old and two of the three spinners featured in the game are the shots to knock these satisfying dingers at any given time. You load the bases by hitting the lit drop target, the vari target when lit, or the top lanes when you spell out “walk”
In multiball, hitting the vari target at any given time awards a “Grand slam” with firework sounds and a nice little light snow.
You can also hit grand slams of course, while in single ball play with loaded bases.
A right orbit with spinner is for building the jackpot and collecting it. It’s not uncommon to get several in a game.
The lower targets are for bonus x, times your runs scored.
Which brings me to what makes this game so fun. The separate scoring display for runs batted in is just plain awesome.
This is the feature that makes you coming back for more, especially with friends in multiplayer when you get creative (say 2 vs 2 baseball points only, combined scores, best of five, etc) the possibilities are endless.
The scoring in this game is also very well balanced. While multiball is a random award collected only at the saucers, it’s well balanced as well.

If you like or love baseball, and addicting gameplay matched with very fun and satisfying shots, Silver Slugger is due a first or second look.

Getting those baseball points and hitting homeruns just doesn’t get old!

06A5D8F1-AFE8-41B9-A544-4DF382CC2573 (resized).jpeg06A5D8F1-AFE8-41B9-A544-4DF382CC2573 (resized).jpegFE75DD32-1B9D-4807-935C-C1AE94A1846F (resized).jpegFE75DD32-1B9D-4807-935C-C1AE94A1846F (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Shackler, I know you just said it "never gets old" but get back to us in a week!

It has that same element found in Hoops, Monday Night Football, and Shaq, and that’s the separate scoring, which keeps it addicting and interesting especially in multiplayer, and all three of those games I don’t tire of.

#7 1 year ago

My one knock on the game is it’s just about impossible to play at night or in a dimly lit room, because every time you hit the spinners, the relay shuts off the GI lights.

I suppose you could open the relay…but eh, I’ll deal with it.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

MNF is a classic.
Just picked up a Shaq, looking forward to it.
Appreciate the attempts to pump this game, James! The Gottlieb Street Level games are great. My personal preference would be Vegas or Car Hop.
However, the triple spinners on this game are great. Gottlieb didn’t disappoint with spinner-ripping goodness!

Shaq is an absolute gem. I read nothing but negative comments about that game for years, but owned one nonetheless, shopped it out and it was a total blast.
The super jackpot at the moving basketball hoop off the jump ramp? The separate scoring for basketball points? The mini upper playfield with drop targets and spinning disk? The vari target, the spinner way in the back? The game is LOADED and a ton of fun to play and has balanced scoring too.
It’s one I wish I could get back reasonably. My only knock on Shaq, is the announcer is legit nuts, it’s a shame that Shaq didn’t do the voice work himself. Other than that, truly a great fun game! Enjoy it!

1 week later
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Shackler, I know you just said it "never gets old" but get back to us in a week!

Well a week later, and the game is still great!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shacklersrevenge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silver-slugger-a-great-game-that-nobody-cares-about-but-you-should-?tu=shacklersrevenge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.