(Topic ID: 142175)

Silver conductive pen for trace repair

By Bax1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151005244501692.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Has anyone used one of these to repair traces? Any luck with them? Thinking of giving it a try but a little leary on reliability

Do as Andrew suggests. The trace pins are worthless for repairs. First time someone touches an iron to the trace it will disappear. They're used in the design phase and not really intended for production.

#15 8 years ago

You've got a bigger problem than a blown-out trace. At least one of the pads/through holes is trashed. The pad/through-hole on the left (in the red circle) is shot and needs to be repaired with a stitch or an eyelet, the next one to the right needs to be cleaned up and visually inspected and tested with a meter (although it looks like part of the pad/through-hole is trashed), ditto on inspection for the next one after removing the solder.

In fact all of the pads should be tested for across board and through board continuity and visually inspected from both sides. It would also help to know if the damaged lands are pads or through-holes.

As John said you should install a socket so no one has to solder this again in the future if the chip fails.

I think pinwiki has some info regarding doing a stitch. If the second hole needs a stitch I would just bend the stitch over and use it as a jumper. It is fine to solder it to a trace when appropriate.

The board will not be reliable without the appropriate repairs.

I would suggest you read the following post on soldering. I'm just getting into desoldering and will be covering stitches and eyelets as I continue.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1

Image1.jpgImage1.jpg

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

But, it does a better job than a lot of cheaper desoldering equipment or even desoldering stations. The suction on that thing is just awesome.

If you like the 808 you'll love the FR-300. It could suck a tennis ball through a hose.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Reaaaaaally.. I'd have thought they were the same. Now I have something else I have to upgrade at some point lol.

"He who dies with the most tools wins."

And yes they did make a pretty good jump in price.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silver-conductive-pen-for-trace-repair?tu=terryb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.