(Topic ID: 142175)

Silver conductive pen for trace repair

By Bax1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151005244501692.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mg81.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 8 years ago

Since I don't care how a board looks, only that it works well, I will often run a jumper wire to replace the entire trace if it is messed up.By replacing the entire trace I am able to start and end at a larger junction point and get a better solder job.

But in your situation I would not do that since I would not want to put any unnecessary heat into that chip that is soldered to the board, so I would just repair the trace and not put a jumper wire near that chip's leg.

The repair job in the picture is not a hard repair to do, but it looks like thing are not cleaned up on your board. Heat up and remove all of the excess solder and original repair work in that area and start again.

I would place a jumper wire in a way so the you are not trying to solder both jumper wires to the different traces in the same area, I hope that makes sense. Take advantage of the green resist coating to prevent your solder from flowing to the wrong trace.

Also, make sure you are using good quality resin core solder and a small temperature controlled soldering iron. I think many people fail because they try to use solder that is a huge diameter for the job and/or a soldering iron that is huge for the job. Take a look on this forum for threads on this topic if you are unsure about what you should be using. When you have the correct tools (which are not expensive) this type of repair work is a treat to do.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mg81.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silver-conductive-pen-for-trace-repair?tu=mg81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.