You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Front Moulding. (resized).JPG
Front Moulding Art (resized).JPG
IMG_8471 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Need some opinions and hopefully some advice here. I am in the process of reproducing a control panel for a Midway Flying Turns. Mine is in rough shape and literally falling apart, so a new one was necessary. I was unable to find the original Formica pattern that was used (some kind of linen pattern), so I had it laminated in a flat white Formica. Shown here are my original and the new reproduction. My original intention was to recreate the design in adobe illustrator, and create screens and silkscreen the design directly onto the laminate. Now I am thinking that the linen pattern will be difficult to recreate via silkscreen, and my opinion is that a vinyl decal would represent the design better overall. I would appreciate opinions on this, as well as a recommendation on where to have a decal produced, and what to have it printed on and with, or someone that can silkscreen it properly. Also whether or not to clearcoat in either case, and if so with what product to do so with. I can provide a file to be printed, I can scan and correct missing areas. Thanks for any help or advice on this!

IMG_8471 (resized).JPGIMG_8471 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Phil, your plan is still the way to go. I solved this by scanning the existing art using the stitching software then cleaning and and fixing it up with photoshop and illustrator. You copy that unique linen pattern and then copy and paste over the missing area and clean up areas that are scratched. I also go around the edges and make it at 1/2" larger all around and trim when the overlay has been made and stuck to the new front moulding.

I had the vinyl 3M overlay made by my local 'fast signs'. Make a few more as there is no price break for one or 5 probably. I finish with a generous coating of auto clear, wait a week and sand and polish a bit and it is like a new moulding.

Downside,
Is it as tough as the original? Probably not as it was a laminate finish, its the same as a play-field. But a have made a 4 and no damage to any yet. Home use is not commercial I realize.

Lastly, the Tiff file is huge so I have to copy to a USB as a PDF to give to 'fast signs'. So can't email to someone.

Recent typical moulding and finished Tiff for my 58 Short stop restoration.
Front Moulding Art (resized).JPGFront Moulding Art (resized).JPG
Front Moulding. (resized).JPGFront Moulding. (resized).JPG
Link to my first attempt (4 made now) and proof that your idea works. See thread # 11 the rest will bore you and send you to sleep. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1963-major-league-restoration

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silkscreen-or-vinyl-decal-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.