(Topic ID: 208447)

Silicone on all the solders?

By Texastravis

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15170733133061655215722 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I am still a bit new at this... most of the solder connections on my JP machine are gooped with some kind of silicone. Is this a good practice to do with your solder joints? What does it accomplish besides preventing dirt on the solder?

I have a bad switch on the ball trough. Before I ordered a new one, I wanted to reflow the solder to make sure it was getting a good connection. I will have to remove the silicone though first.

15170733133061655215722 (resized).jpg15170733133061655215722 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

That looks like dielectric grease. It gets used on cars and atvs to repel water from electrical connections.

#3 6 years ago

That's clear silicone. Dirt from a pinball machine won't hurt solder. Silicone can be used to prevent accidental shorts or wire breakage. Maybe previous owner had problems with wires breaking off switches? Sure makes replacement of the switch "fun".

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Texastravis:

Is this a good practice to do with your solder joints?.

No.

#5 6 years ago

I second TheLaw's answer! If you solder them correctly you should have no issue.

#6 6 years ago

It looks like a scene from The Blob. Couldn't find humans so it attacked your pin.

#7 6 years ago

It would be fun trying to resolder those if they ever come loose.

#8 6 years ago

Definately silicone and not grease.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like this was a bad idea and while I am trying to remove it agree that it is a bad idea!

You won't believe how much silicone is under this playfield...

#9 6 years ago

Most broken wires on my machines have been from poor WIRE STRIPPING and bad soldering. People use a knife or the wrong guage stripping tool, then poorly solder the few remaining strands anyway.

I'd never goop that crap on my machines and don't think anyone else should either.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I'd never goop that crap on my machines and don't think anyone else should either.

Couldnt agree more.

#11 6 years ago

That stuff works fairly well sealing gaskets on cars, but I prefer to use the "ultra black".

#12 6 years ago

That isn't the first time I have seen that. When a switch gets flakey some people wiggle on the leads and get switch hits. Most of the time its a bad switch or the screws are too tight. Instead of replacing they goop it with silicone or hot glue.

#13 6 years ago

Yeah, reminder of something else I'd need to look for on a machine to be purchased. I'd be asking for a couple hundred knocked off the price, just because I'd need to go through and clear and completely redo any joint done like that, and possibly replace the gooped parts. It's a sign of either really bad soldering skills on a repair (using silicon/hot glue to compensate for lack of structural integrity in a bad solder job), or an attempt to AVOID resoldering a loose connection (from lack of skill or equipment).

My recommendation for this mess? Go ahead and just replace all the switches instead of trying to degoop them. They're likely going to be cheaper than the labor, and you're probably going to have to cut and restrip the wires anyway for the best connection.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silicone-on-all-the-solders and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.