(Topic ID: 295212)

Silica bag

By Vin-bot

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

71+3P3msgpL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    6.adsfjpg (resized).jpg
    71PeWp0MdAL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with putting a larger bag of silica in their cabinet to prevent humidity “damaging” their (metal) pinball parts.

I was thinking about doing that myself.. thinking of periodically (once or twice a year) putting it in my microwave to dry out the silica.

Would a large silica bag be effective or am
    I overthinking it when trying to protect the pinball from humidity?

#2 2 years ago

Sounds like a reasonable idea. You can get that stuff cheap at the dollar store.

#3 2 years ago

Apparently cat litter does the same job, just swop it out now and again.

#4 2 years ago

Just don't eat them!

#5 2 years ago

Is anything around the machine having issues with humidity?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from twhtalm:

Is anything around the machine having issues with humidity?

Not noticeable.. but for me it’s more a matter of protecting it where I can after putting the effort in to de-rusting, polishing and waxing all the parts

It can be very humid where we live, but not often

#7 2 years ago

Can be very humid where I live to, can be 80/90%. I built a pinroom in my garage which is virtually sealed and has a dehumidifier set to 50%.

#8 2 years ago

A pin is too open to airflow for silica packets to be effective.

Your best bet to keep condensation away is to put a reptile mat in the cab.

The gentle heat will prevent the "morning dew" cycle

#9 2 years ago

I have a humidity gauge and a dehumidifier in the basement game room and switch on the dehumidifier on days it’s getting out of control. Or can set the dehumidifier to maintain a certain level automatically

#10 2 years ago

BUT WHAT IF I EAT IT BY MISTAKE!!?!??!

I always wondered why THROW AWAY wasn't in quotation marks but "DO NOT EAT" was.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #11 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

A pin is too open to airflow for silica packets to be effective.
    Your best bet to keep condensation away is to put a reptile mat in the cab.
    The gentle heat will prevent the "morning dew" cycle

When it’s on and getting warm/hot, yes maybe but humidity will not be an issue then but when it’s off I cant see much air flow running in and out of a pin.

#12 2 years ago

For larger scale humidity protection I use these inside tool cabinets in unheated garages or sheds instead of the bags. They work very well and are easily rejuvenated in the oven once they become saturated. I’ve also heard from people who have them in gun safes, coin safes etc. but have no first hand experience there.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/workshop/tool-maintenance/53828-silica-gel-dehumidifiers?item=56Z6103

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

When it’s on and getting warm/hot, yes maybe but humidity will not be an issue then but when it’s off I cant see much air flow running in and out of a pin.

They are designed to be a chimney.

Even the slightest airflow pulls air up and out of the machine.

But if you want to test this for yourself, put the humidity reading card from your gun safe inside the machine. Lock the coin door tight. Read the humidity in 30 minutes.

Then put 50 silica packs in the game, and repeat. See? It's still at the room's humidity level.

Test again in 2 days, still at room humidity.

Every photographer, gun enthusiast, and basement chemist knows that you can often pull 4 GALLONS of water out of the air in a single day from a basement or garage in the summer.

That's why your gun safe has a Goldenrod, and your $$$$ Canon lives in a sealed Pelican with a giant silica pack that changes color after a few months.

-

From the Dry&Dry FAQ:

Q5. How are silica gel used best?

- Silica gel packets work in air-tight seal container. If they are open to air, they are constantly absorbing moisture in open air and become saturated right away.

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Humidity-Indicator-Cards-Reusable/dp/B07D7LSZZP
    71PeWp0MdAL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg71PeWp0MdAL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#14 2 years ago

Fender guitars are made in the California desert, but look how big of a silica pack they need to use in such a tight fitting case.

6.adsfjpg (resized).jpg6.adsfjpg (resized).jpg
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

For larger scale humidity protection I use these inside tool cabinets in unheated garages or sheds instead of the bags. They work very well and are easily rejuvenated in the oven once they become saturated. I’ve also heard from people who have them in gun safes, coin safes etc. but have no first hand experience there.
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/workshop/tool-maintenance/53828-silica-gel-dehumidifiers?item=56Z6103

Those are great, but pricey @ $80 for only 750 grams.

You can get 7.5 POUNDS of color changing silica beads for $33 shipped

https://dryndry.com/collections/silica-gel-beads/products/1-gallon7-5-lbs-dry-dry-premium-blue-indicating-silica-gel-desiccant-beads

71+3P3msgpL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg71+3P3msgpL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can get 7.5 POUNDS of color changing silica beads for $33 shipped

Nice! Appreciate the tip!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I have a humidity gauge and a dehumidifier in the basement game room and switch on the dehumidifier on days it’s getting out of control. Or can set the dehumidifier to maintain a certain level automatically

Same here. I have the dehumidifier outlet hose into the high efficiency furnace condensate drain so no bucket emptying. I try to keep the relative humidity in the mid 40s, 50 at most.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silica-bag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.