(Topic ID: 105393)

Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 782 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20231107_042527356~2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230921_055327649 (resized).jpg
    20240320_073552 (resized).jpg
    20240320_073555 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9229 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20240111_073600 (resized).jpg
    20240111_073544 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9552 (resized).jpeg
    20231222_175840 (resized).jpg
    20231225_164155 (resized).jpg
    20231221_064244 (resized).jpg
    20231222_135003 (resized).jpg
    20231222_134953 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#426 3 years ago

I'm working on a pinball related project and have been looking at a Cameo or Cricut to make some stencils for it. I, like others are having a hard time justifying the purchase price for one project... anyone local to me own a Cameo and would be up for cutting some stencils? Happy to discuss compensation with the understanding that if the costs get to be the same as buying a Cameo I'd go that route. I've got some .ai files to work with as a starting point... and actually bought some vvivid vinyl that could be used if you are driving distance local... hit me up if you have some time/interest.

#428 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

I have a full size vinyl cutter if you need something cut out. Not sure if you get down to the Buffalo area much, not at all right now with the rona I'm sure.

That would have been super handy... boarders closed until at least the end of the month though.

#431 3 years ago

That looks like it would have been a lot of work to weed... that's all done by hand right?

#435 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mneubey:

Yeah. Weeding it was a ton of work, but worth it in the end. I just put a new blade on my machine, and was worried about the fine details being too small, but this thing knocked it out no problem.

It is really impressive for sure... I bit the bullet last night and ordered a Cameo 4... family has all agreed they will try doing some crafts on it so it gets more use. Looking forward to playing around with it.

#443 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

Perfect! I have that scanner, and have been working with playfield scans to clean them up. I've practiced using Inkscape, but not proficient yet. Did you use the base Silhouette software, or one of the upgraded versions? I downloaded the free version just to play around with it, but have gravitated toward Inkscape since it seems more robust and easier to use for separating the colors. Obviously some version of the Silhouette software is needed to drive the cutter.
    Sure sounds like another toy in my future! Thanks for those great pics - amazing work!

Free version of the Silhouette software does not allow for the importing of .svg files... I'm guessing the output files of Inkscape is an .svg? If so you will need to upgrade your Silhouette software to work with those files.

1 week later
    #451 3 years ago

Finally got my Cameo 4 yesterday. Did some test prints with it and then got down to work with the stencils. Pleased with the progress so far. Working on a second test run now making adjustments... adding registration marks to help with alignment.

0E0E1652-B03B-43D7-A622-79B03D2787F4 (resized).jpeg0E0E1652-B03B-43D7-A622-79B03D2787F4 (resized).jpeg659FECAA-A81E-469A-A79B-F76BC40494F7 (resized).jpeg659FECAA-A81E-469A-A79B-F76BC40494F7 (resized).jpegCAAB53B7-9019-4301-B572-E32EFA25ED20 (resized).jpegCAAB53B7-9019-4301-B572-E32EFA25ED20 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #455 3 years ago

Are you planning to add the registrations in the Silhouette software, or some other place? I guess it depends on where you separate colors into the individual stencil cuttings...
    I've just been playing thusfar, mostly with the scans I did for my apron. Only two colors (plus base), so after I cleaned up the scans in Gimp, I separated the two colors into layers there, imported each individually into Inkscape for scaling and export to SVG, then imported the SVG files to the Silhouette software for cutting. No attempt at registration marks yet.

I have added some registration marks with the latest attempts... makes thing easier. I added them in illustrator, simple crosses with a about 5 pixel stroke I think.

1 month later
    #462 3 years ago

I feel your pain... I just blew through a couple of feet of stencil material with it going out of alignment, last two prints I did I fed in more to start than you've feed in with your picture. In fact I've fed in enough for it to come out of the back the machine cause I figure I'd rather waste 6" than 24". Very frustrating. I am using the Cameo 4's "roller holder" if that is even a thing for my material.

End results are worth the pain...

2449D60A-0C8A-4A08-9623-FEF695F0F319 2 (resized).JPG2449D60A-0C8A-4A08-9623-FEF695F0F319 2 (resized).JPGIMG_8078 2 (resized).pngIMG_8078 2 (resized).png
    #464 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boslaw:

roar did you use a scanner or camera to create the stencil?

Neither... used pictures found online and traced with illustrator.

#466 3 years ago
    Quoted from CanadianPinball:

roar Is that a guitar amp?

Yessir it is... goes along with this project I shared in the Fathom thread...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFe_0fgncgW/?igshid=18plfjgzw1aye

180E2744-3720-444D-A28D-865666260905 (resized).jpeg180E2744-3720-444D-A28D-865666260905 (resized).jpeg
    10 months later
    #513 2 years ago

Nice detail on it... looks good... did you print in black vinyl or did you print a mask and then paint with black?

2 months later
    #536 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Hello fellow players and restorers - Would one of you be willing to help me out by converting a Silhouette Studio file to .svg for a Cricut cutter? I have a World Cup Soccer that I will soon start a refurb on and would like to use a stencil to paint the speaker grills as a soccer ball. Another Pinsider as created a Silhouette file but I only have access to a Cricut that uses the .svg file format. Do any of you have the Business edition of Silhouette Studio and are you willing to help me out if I send you the file?

I checked and I only have the Designer Edition and it only saves to Silhouette v2 and v3 and GSP.

1 year later
    #679 9 months ago

I've got a 4 so not sure where the differences are but when I started cutting longer stencils I did have some trouble with the paper feeding through the slot on the back of the machine, it would get caught in the slot as it articulated back and forth causing an array of weird outcomes on the cuts, paper bunching, paper sliding around... I got to the point where on my long cuts I'd feed enough paper in that it popped out the back before the cut even started so that was never a problem.

#683 9 months ago

Good ideas, both! Thanks! It got me to wondering - does the fact that I've cut a piece off a roll and it has a bit of a curl possibly make a difference? It's not much, but still... I've got a fairly smooth tabletop to put the thing on, but perhaps a piece of plastic would help; depending on thickness it could be close to the height of the slot in the rear, minimizing the chance for curling.

Are you watching it fail? When I was watching mine fail I couldn't figure it out at first, the paper would just shift for no bloody reason, it was really frustrating, until I watched it from the back, then I saw the failure. Another thing you could try is applying your mask to a tack mat... 8.5 x 19 isn't too big, I believe they make a 12" x 24" one.

1 month later
    #692 7 months ago
    Quoted from jazc4:

I'm looking to buy a Cameo soon. Would it be better to get the 12", 15" or 24"?

Depends on your application I guess… a 24” would get you pretty close to being able to print full cabinet stencils I think.

2 weeks later
    #725 7 months ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

You need to paint with just a light dusting of paint and many such passes. Paint just until coverage is achieved and then stop!
    If the paint ever is wet on the surface, the air from the airbrush will push it up against the stencil edge and leave ridges. It will also cause paint to creep under any slight gaps between the stencil and the surface.
    I use Golden High Flow paint straight from the bottle, highly recommend this paint.
    Evidence that you can airbrush very fine lines successfully:
    [quoted image]
    Detail from a from-scratch repaint:
    [quoted image]

This has to be the gold standard from a Silhouette stencil repaint perspective, I'm in awe every time you post pictures from it. One day I'll pick up an airbrush as you say the light coats are key.

When doing something like a cabinet however the airbrush can't be effective though, can it? Most people seem to use rattle cans and then those with a bigger investment will use HVLP. When I used the silhouette to make the stencils for my pinball/amp cabinet it looks great from a distance but you can see the build up of paint at what was the stencil edges. I'm sure I'm going too heavy with the rattle can and with more patience could lay down lighter coats and let it build up, but I feel like the airbrush would do that more effectively, it just isn't ideal from an overall area perspective... at least that is the story I'm telling myself.

2 months later
    #746 4 months ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

Has anyone done a Data East apron logo? My plastic is chewed up and will need to be repainted. I think the original is supposed to be silver/chrome and after I repaint my apron I could spray some of the chrome paint for the logo but I wonder if there is a decent metallic paper I could cut out and stick on instead. If that would work
    below is an example from another thread
    [quoted image]

I think this is a great idea, there is chrome material for sure and lots of options for Data East vector files on line, should be pretty straight forward to scale and print. If you've got the Silhouette version that allows you to import vector, should be quick... if you don't let me know, I can take a vector file and turn it into a Silhouette file and send you that and you could scale it? The ones I'm seeing don't have the "R" ball's on them, but that shouldn't be too hard to find in a font that has one

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club?tu=roar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.