(Topic ID: 105393)

Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 782 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20231107_042527356~2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230921_055327649 (resized).jpg
    20240320_073552 (resized).jpg
    20240320_073555 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9229 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20240111_073600 (resized).jpg
    20240111_073544 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9552 (resized).jpeg
    20231222_175840 (resized).jpg
    20231225_164155 (resized).jpg
    20231221_064244 (resized).jpg
    20231222_135003 (resized).jpg
    20231222_134953 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panapinresto.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 7 years ago

First off I love this idea. The work you guys are doing with it absolutely rocks. I'm no artist, I'm a tech and tool guy. This will allow me to rely on tech and tools rather than my weak artsy skills. I love it. So as a fun little test I want to mount a Roland vynil cutter to my 3d printer and see if I can make the magic happen. It's possible. Question is, is it more trouble than it's worth or a good option for small stencils?

I have a couple questions about blades. On amazon the blades come in 30,45& 60 degree. What's the difference? Other than the angle
    How long do blades last? I'm restoring an F-14 pf (looking for scans btw ) and I really don't want to reorder. Takes waayyyy too long from here.

#150 7 years ago

I'm getting decent with 123D design and Fusion360 but Im totally unfamiliar with photo editing software of any kind. I need to learn. Enter YouTube university. This set of videos has been really helpful learning how to make decals from old artwork. It's a bit slow but really detailed and both programs he uses are free.

1 month later
    #152 6 years ago

I ordered a set yesterday. They get good reviews and they are cheap. I'll post when I test them.

1 week later
    #154 6 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Anyone tried the Graphtec CB09 holder and blades? I have read that they perform well for tiny text/cutting.
    For smallish text I often find that the "holes" in letters do not stay put when the Gerbermask is cut.
    I am going to systematically try blade depth/thickness settings to see what is optimal for Gerbermask Ultra.
    I bought this item: ebay.com link » Us Graphtec Cb09 Holder Silhouette Cameo Craftrobo Vinyl Cutter Plotter 15 Blade
    Once I receive it I'll do some testing to see which blades work best for fine detail work (e.g., small text).

How do you like the cb09? I started playing with mine a few days ago. So far so good. I'm new to the cameo so I have little to go on but it does cut better than the stock blade, imo.
    Best part is the price. I got 15 blades and the holder for $20. It's a win.

2 weeks later
    #158 6 years ago

I thought I'd be able to use the trace feature also but that is not the case. I've never been able to get the trace function to work well on pics or scans. The lines always need a lot of cleaning up. For me it's much quicker to trace with the pen tool. I was redrawing them in inkscape but I was having trouble with scaling and distortion so now I just redraw in silhouette studio.

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Scale by 25% after importing from Inkscape.
    That having been said, I have not tried the Silhouette drawing tools, I should give them a shot.

This is accurate and has worked well for me a couple times. However when I import a scan into inkscape with it set use the file size I get a scan that's 3x the size it should be. Once you get it scaled back down, redraw it and send it to silhouette to only then have to scale it by 25% again. This always causes problems for me. Not sure why inkscape won't import my scans the correct size. Until I figure it out I'll keep doing what works. It's a shame because inkscape is a much better drawing tool than silhouette.

#164 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I just scan an area, clean anything funky up in Photoshop and save it as a high quality jpg. Open that in silhouette studio, trace and cut. Much easier than redrawing everything and super accurate.

I'll have to try this. I don't have photoshop though. Anyone know of a free program that will turn into a high quality jpeg? What is high quality? 600dpi? 1200?

#166 6 years ago

Up until today I've been using an Evolution brand stencil material. It's the only brand I can find here in Panama. It was working fairly well, I thought. Today I received a roll of oracal 813 and it is so much better. I'm using a CB09 60 degree blade and getting really detailed cuts. Can't wait to try the Gerbermask.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#170 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Hold the phone, I think I just found a very simple way to get results 100x easier... and faster than retracing. (if this is covered earlier in this thread I missed it)
    Procedure:
    First, note the image size of desired result, once open in Silhouette, make the image as large as you can, THEN do your trace function. It should very easily determine the cutting lines, once traced, shrink the image down to the desired size and voila, the result should be a very accurate trace, even for the small stuff. See example:
    The 5,000 When Lit... Graphic created and cleaned up in PS, then open in Cameo, I scale it roughly 4X of the final size, did the trace, took the result back down to the desired size of 1.5" and BOOM, did not even bother to retrace! It actually took longer to post this and "weed" the template than getting the trace accurate!
    I'm a little more stoked than before now with these findings. Hope you can replicate the results!

Awesome! I'm going to try that now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panapinresto.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club?tu=panapinresto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.