New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 105393)

Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

By Curbfeeler

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 479 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 213 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 183 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    180E2744-3720-444D-A28D-865666260905 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8078 2 (resized).png
    2449D60A-0C8A-4A08-9623-FEF695F0F319 2 (resized).JPG
    20201001_070551 (resized).jpg
    20201001_070458 (resized).jpg
    20201001_070451 (resized).jpg
    20201001_070443 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7766 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7550 (resized).jpeg
    659FECAA-A81E-469A-A79B-F76BC40494F7 (resized).jpeg
    CAAB53B7-9019-4301-B572-E32EFA25ED20 (resized).jpeg
    0E0E1652-B03B-43D7-A622-79B03D2787F4 (resized).jpeg
    B0000E77-E361-4B57-B7A4-813D590909E9 (resized).jpeg
    4B162E15-8A3E-41EC-919D-8D3C3B147D8F (resized).jpeg
    058BB002-E0B7-48A7-8585-B1550A001EC1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider droptarget.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#191 3 years ago

Hi All,

I'm thinking of doing some playfield touch ups, has anyone here tried using the die cut stencils to silk screen with, instead of paint?

Also, I'm thinking of creating cabinet stencils....is there a preferred machine to use for that? Is there a preferred machine in general? Silhouette Cameo / Curio / Profile / Cricut etc? Does it really matter?

Thanks,
    -W

#192 3 years ago

Hi, I just found this topic. It's great and your work looks wonderful. How were you able to create those long stencils? Did you cut them without a mat? If so, doesn't the cutter get damaged?

thx
    -W

#193 3 years ago

Oooops,

I see that you had already posted the answer....I should have read further into the posts.

-W

#196 3 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

I'd be interested too in knowing if someone has used a stencil to mask a silk screen. May be a good solution for one-off screens instead of burning a screen for it. Has to be tacky enough to adhere to the mesh.

I've sen youtube videos of people doing this for shirts. If it works, it would sure beat that photo emulsion stuff.

1 week later
    #199 3 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I use one those flat HP scanners. I got if off eBay.

I just got one yesterday. When mine scans, the resulting image has stripes going across the image. As in If an area is supposed to be solid blue, it gives alternating stripes of blue with a blue that is a slightly different blue. If you squint, it looks like the correct color.

Have you experienced this?

#203 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I have. Not always. I haven't yet figured out why it happens sometimes.

Thanks, It's not a big deal for my application, but still......

It is a pretty neat scanner. I wish the drivers were updated, but that's HP for ya.

#207 3 years ago

HP 4670, makes life easy. I just got one, and scanned a glass. The colors are way off though. I know there are adjustments, any suggestions?

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Mine had no power supply but did have the weird cord and the power draw is more than the typical wall wart can provide. I wound up using an RC truck LiPo 3S battery which can provide a ton of current.
    For DropTarget, are your colours off if you scan a normal photo? I don't see why the glass would alter the colours. I always do a scan of the carpet the thing is sitting on as a test and the colours look really good.

Good idea, I'll try to scan a picture first. I did try it on my carpet before doing scanning a glass, the carpet came out just fine.

I'll be using Pantone chips to recreate my art anyway, so it's not a big deal, just curious about the software adjustments.

BTW, be aware that the scanner may not work on your computer, the drivers are pretty old. I'm running a mac with 10.12.5 Twain is no longer supported, I managed to get it to work using my Parallel's Desktop running XP.

2 weeks later
    #212 3 years ago
    Quoted from Model237:

I started a topic in the EM forum about ways to get overspray on cabinet stencils:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/underspray-on-cab-stencils
    Has anyone managed to "computer cut" stencil material and make it stand off the surface being painted, to get a fuzzy line?
    Also wondering if anyone has tried these vinyl masks for airbrush touch-ups on flaking backglasses.

I cut my stencils on a cameo using poster board, then layed the finished stencil on the cabinet and weighed it down, leaving the edges free to lift a bit. Worked fine for overspray effect.

#214 3 years ago

Good info, thx

#215 3 years ago

Another good reason to use a silhouette cutter.....

I just repainted my CC Beatniks cabinet and used a Cameo 3 to cut the stencils.

The art on my cabinet was totally painted over by a previous owner's kids, yes, including spray paint graffiti, so I could not tell if there should be spatter on the base coat. Being a relatively uncommon and unloved machine, I couldn't find any pictures where I could see the definitive answer. So, I did not spray any spatter, only to find someone here on Pinside a few days after the job was complete. He was able to (see where this is going?) confirm that there should indeed be spatter on the base coat.....enter the Silhouette. Since I still had the original path files, I was able to recut new stencils and used the previously weeded sections to mask over the painted colored areas on the cabinet, then proceeded to add the spatter. It worked out great, would have to have left the base white, or done some serious masking with tape without having the Cameo.

-W

4 months later
    #236 2 years ago

nice, is that paint or vinyl?

#239 2 years ago

nice job

2 weeks later
    #244 2 years ago

does anyone have settings for cutting poster board?

1 week later
    #249 2 years ago

I used Oracle as the gerbermask was to pricey for me.

It worked great, except for small detail work. I also found it easy to use as frisket, lay it down and cut with an exacto.

While I didn't try the gerbermask, I suspect, as indicated in the referenced thread, that is it better for small details like lettering.

10 months later
    #310 1 year ago

Redoing Drop Targets on Count-Down.

Metallic art, I may go with metallic paint, but am concerned about durability. Here are pics of metallic gold leaf cut using Cameo 3.

I like the idea that the paint would lie flat, as opposed to the decal which is raised. However, there decal is more reflective and easier to place and less prone to errors such as overspray, smudging etc.....decisions, decisions!
    IMG_5462 (resized).JPGIMG_9976 (resized).JPG

#312 1 year ago

i was considering that, or perhaps spraying a clear gloss. I'll have to see how those affect the reflectiveness of the foil.

Either way, it's great to have the Silhouette cutters for these. Practically pays for itself on this project alone.

#314 1 year ago

I've used adhesive backed mylar sheets in the past for spinners. I think that I got it from Staples, but can't remember for sure. Will search in the morning. I did a couple of tests with clear gloss enamel. The color from the foil ran and smudged a bit on the first attempt, but was ok on the 2nd when I laid down a thinner coat.

#315 1 year ago

ok, Final decision. I laminated the gold foil with clear adhesive backed laminate. Then cut using my Cameo 3.

Here are results....before and after.

IMG_5482 (resized).JPGIMG_5485 (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #319 1 year ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Well I pulled the trigger on a used ebay unit that looks practically new. We will see how this goes.

That's what I did, no regrets.

10 months later
    #380 9 months ago

nice work

4 months later
    #450 5 months ago

I've used poster board or acetate sheets from an art supply store to cut stencils.

3 months later
    #467 60 days ago
    Quoted from roar:

Neither... used pictures found online and traced with illustrator.

Nice, Time consuming to get the curves perfect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 45.00
    $ 7,599.00
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 125.00
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 90.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider droptarget.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside