(Topic ID: 105393)

Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

By Curbfeeler

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 480 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 70 days ago by WhiskeyTango
  • Topic is favorited by 215 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 183 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    180E2744-3720-444D-A28D-865666260905 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8078 2 (resized).png
    2449D60A-0C8A-4A08-9623-FEF695F0F319 2 (resized).JPG
    20201001_070551 (resized).jpg
    20201001_070458 (resized).jpg
    20201001_070451 (resized).jpg
    20201001_070443 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7766 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7550 (resized).jpeg
    659FECAA-A81E-469A-A79B-F76BC40494F7 (resized).jpeg
    CAAB53B7-9019-4301-B572-E32EFA25ED20 (resized).jpeg
    0E0E1652-B03B-43D7-A622-79B03D2787F4 (resized).jpeg
    B0000E77-E361-4B57-B7A4-813D590909E9 (resized).jpeg
    4B162E15-8A3E-41EC-919D-8D3C3B147D8F (resized).jpeg
    058BB002-E0B7-48A7-8585-B1550A001EC1 (resized).jpeg

There are 480 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
    #401 11 months ago

Another question, I ordered varathane spray can for clear to seal playfield before and during stenciling. Does this stuff yellow if I use as top coat? Vids guide suggests 2 part auto clear, but it is an older thread and paint compositions might be better now.

#403 11 months ago

Thanks, I read quite a bit of that thread. After carefull consideration and the fact I'm redoing and retheming woodrails, a little yellowing might be welcomed. More realistic or antiqued if you will. I will post my work progress.

#404 11 months ago

Just thought of another current issue I would have if I used 2 part clear at this time (March, 28th,2020). I would not be able to buy paint respirator anywhere.

2 weeks later
    #405 10 months ago

Does anyone here have a scan (or better yet cameo art) for an early Stern apron? I’m working on a Seawitch, but the scan doesn’t have to be from Seawitch since there were a number of games with the same apron, just different colors.

#406 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Does anyone here have a scan (or better yet cameo art) for an early Stern apron?

I can go by my storage and pull / scan this one from a Magic this weekend if no one else can do it sooner or this one will not work for you?
    Obviously I'll remove the vending decals first (hopefully w/o damage).

20190530_212643 (resized).jpg
    #407 10 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I can go by my storage and pull / scan this one from a Magic this weekend if no one else can do it sooner or this one will not work for you?
    Obviously I'll remove the vending decals first (hopefully w/o damage).[quoted image]

I appreciate the offer - thank you! Don’t make a special trip just yet. I’ve got an offer from another pinsider to scan an apron for me. If he doesn’t come through, can I follow up and take you up on your offer? Thanks again

#408 10 months ago

I received my USCutter SC2 28in cutter last week. There are some initial assembly and start up problems.

1. Screws for the roller guides on the stand were not the right thread.
    I had to re tap 6 holes for screws that I had available.

2. Growling upon powerup. Cutter carriage kept trying to move past right side of machine stop and would not home.
    Support phone number on website is disconnected. Website support had me remove side covers and top rail and inspect homing switch. It was ok, then I noticed the cutter carriage was not seated properly in slide rails. Must have dislodged during shipping or was not assembled correctly to begin with. The website did explain reseating of this by inserting top carriage nylon rollers into guide rail then lifting the assembly up as they are spring loaded to allow to seat the bottom 2 rollers. Put it back together, powered up and it homed OK. Phew.

3. The Vinyl Master software becomes unresponsive and locks up.
    I had learned that you need to give it time to respond to keystrokes or button presses to keep it from locking up. Maybe my computer is inadequate but I am running windows 10 64 bit.

4. Communication setup is wacked in my opinion. The unit comes with a usb cable but you cannot select usb communications when setting it up even though it is a selection.
    You must follow the instruction book and select serial communication even with the usb cable.

5. Some times you need to press the local/pause switch a few times to get it to change modes (basically online offline option) The switch does work as I can here the stepper motor turn on or off, but the lcd menu doesn't always change.

It is a nice looking machine and affordable but I wasn't expecting these problems out of the box. I did do a test cut and it worked. Now I just have to learn how to create stencils with it. lol

#409 10 months ago

Hi,
    I would love some help from a member of this club. I have been watching this thread from the start and thought about buying one. But I have come to the conclusion that it does not make sense as I only need it for one job/task.

Thats why I hope someone in here can help me out. I will of course pay for it.

I need to restore my T2 apron. The Williams design is similar on multiple games so I hope someone in hear already has done the work? And can sell me a stencil I can use?
    I have airbrush paints ready if that is the way to go if you can make a frisket.
    I really hope someone will help me out and again. I will of course pay for the work and shipping.

1839078D-0554-40B0-9482-1DEC3A256BD7 (resized).jpeg
    #410 10 months ago

I can provide you the vectorized apron design in PDF format for free. It is for Getaway but it does not matter as the only difference is in colors. I would send you the stencil, but it would take forever to get it to you in current circumstances in the world. So you can send the file to a pinsider within USA to cut it for you.

Quoted from tezting:

Hi,
    I would love some help from a member of this club. I have been watching this thread from the start and thought about buying one. But I have come to the conclusion that it does not make sense as I only need it for one job/task.
    Thats why I hope someone in here can help me out. I will of course pay for it.
    I need to restore my T2 apron. The Williams design is similar on multiple games so I hope someone in hear already has done the work? And can sell me a stencil I can use?
    I have airbrush paints ready if that is the way to go if you can make a frisket.
    I really hope someone will help me out and again. I will of course pay for the work and shipping.[quoted image]

Getaway.JPG
    #411 10 months ago

I’ve got lots of GerberMask and can cut it if you don’t mind the shipping wait. Think you are in a Nordic country?

You might want to read my effort at doing an apron above.

#412 10 months ago

So is there a quick and dirty “this is how to make your own custom plastic”? Banzai Run has one that’s both easy to break and while repros appear to occasionally get done, they also seem to suck. It looks like it’s possible with a Cameo from the things I’ve seen said, but I haven’t stumbled upon the how yet.

FWIW, I have a Cameo 4 and I’ve done some normal sign vinyl and I’ve also done some heat transfer vinyl for shirts. I’m pretty comfortable with AutoCAD, Inkscape, and Silhouette Design at this point, but have no idea what “frisket” is and haven’t used any of the wet transfer vinyls you guys seem to be discussing. Anyone got a clear guide for the best way to do a plastic repro?

—Donnie

#413 10 months ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

So is there a quick and dirty “this is how to make your own custom plastic”? Banzai Run has one that’s both easy to break and while repros appear to occasionally get done, they also seem to suck. It looks like it’s possible with a Cameo from the things I’ve seen said, but I haven’t stumbled upon the how yet.
    FWIW, I have a Cameo 4 and I’ve done some normal sign vinyl and I’ve also done some heat transfer vinyl for shirts. I’m pretty comfortable with AutoCAD, Inkscape, and Silhouette Design at this point, but have no idea what “frisket” is and haven’t used any of the wet transfer vinyls you guys seem to be discussing. Anyone got a clear guide for the best way to do a plastic repro?
    —Donnie

I’ve had success with simply printing the graphic on high quality photo paper with archival ink and then adhering the image to the underside of a piece of acrylic with optically clear adhesive film. Though I’ve used the Cameo extensively for playfield and cabinet restoration, I’ve never used it for plastic reproduction.

#414 10 months ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

—Donnie

I wouldn't use the cameo, you'd be weeding forever.
    There's a great tutorial on YouTube how to use waterslide decals to make plastics. I've made a few. Color LaserJet will provide better results than inkjet.

#415 10 months ago
    Quoted from rygar:

I can provide you the vectorized apron design in PDF format for free. It is for Getaway but it does not matter as the only difference is in colors. I would send you the stencil, but it would take forever to get it to you in current circumstances in the world. So you can send the file to a pinsider within USA to cut it for you.
    [quoted image]

Thank you this is very kind of you.

Quoted from dr_nybble:

I’ve got lots of GerberMask and can cut it if you don’t mind the shipping wait. Think you are in a Nordic country?
    You might want to read my effort at doing an apron above.

Thank you. This would be so awesome! Time is no issue. I started the restoration five years ago. So I am not in a hurry while this is the last puzzle I need to solve.
    I would love to read about your effort. Do you have a direct link?

I’ve had success with simply printing the graphic on high quality photo paper with archival ink and then adhering the image to the underside of a piece of acrylic with optically clear adhesive film. Though I’ve used the Cameo extensively for playfield and cabinet restoration, I’ve never used it for plastic reproduction.

Sorry if I don’t understand it 100% but don’t you get a white “edge” when using photo paper?
    Do you have images of the process?

#416 10 months ago
    Quoted from tezting:

Thank you this is very kind of you.

Thank you. This would be so awesome! Time is no issue. I started the restoration five years ago. So I am not in a hurry while this is the last puzzle I need to solve.
    I would love to read about your effort. Do you have a direct link?

Sorry if I don’t understand it 100% but don’t you get a white “edge” when using photo paper?
    Do you have images of the process?

I guess it depends on the graphic. I assume you mean for a graphic with transparent places in the image field? How about posting a picture of the plastic you’re wanting to reproduce? That would make advising on process easier.

#417 10 months ago

An apron redone in vinyl:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-save-a-sorcerer-or-how-to-spend-3000-on-a-1200-machine/page/2#post-5153916

An apron redone by airbrush:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club/page/8#post-5382809

An apron redone by rub-on transfer:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-method-for-apron-art#post-4012132

Personally I'd be inclined to do rub-on transfer. Let me know which way you want to go (PM if you want me to cut paint mask for you).

#418 10 months ago

Does anyone here have a scan (or better yet cameo art) for an early Stern apron? I’m working on a Seawitch, but the scan doesn’t have to be from Seawitch since there were a number of games with the same apron, just different colors.

Did you find a scan? I can try to get one of my Wild Fyre if you need. I use the Adobe Capture app - Shapes to scan for cutting.

#419 10 months ago

I guess it depends on the graphic. I assume you mean for a graphic with transparent places in the image field? How about posting a picture of the plastic you’re wanting to reproduce? That would make advising on process easier.

Its not plastic but my T2 apron.

#420 10 months ago
    Quoted from lizzyd:

Did you find a scan? I can try to get one of my Wild Fyre if you need. I use the Adobe Capture app - Shapes to scan for cutting.

I did, thank you. cottonm4 took care of me!

2 weeks later
    #421 10 months ago

what do you guys use for your vinyl? I've used up what came with the cameo and am looking for new vinyl to cut and use for paint masking, but everything says "permanent adhesive" and I don't want permanent, I want a temporary lower tack so it won't tend to pull up the surrounding artwotrk when removed.

#424 10 months ago

I did, thank you. cottonm4 took care of me!

I need this for a Star Gazer build so if you are able to get a file I would really appreciate it. I don’t have a cameo but a friend of mine does. This apron looks great but a bit naked currently.

38D4A300-B108-4369-B830-42390EEF6F45 (resized).jpeg
    #425 10 months ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I need this for a Star Gazer build so if you are able to get a file I would really appreciate it. I don’t have a cameo but a friend of mine does. This apron looks great but a bit naked currently.
    [quoted image]

Working my way through some related projects...apron stencil is on the short list, though. I’ll post here and in the Seawitch club thread when I have something to share.

3 weeks later
    #426 9 months ago

I'm working on a pinball related project and have been looking at a Cameo or Cricut to make some stencils for it. I, like others are having a hard time justifying the purchase price for one project... anyone local to me own a Cameo and would be up for cutting some stencils? Happy to discuss compensation with the understanding that if the costs get to be the same as buying a Cameo I'd go that route. I've got some .ai files to work with as a starting point... and actually bought some vvivid vinyl that could be used if you are driving distance local... hit me up if you have some time/interest.

#427 9 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

I'm working on a pinball related project and have been looking at a Cameo or Cricut to make some stencils for it. I, like others are having a hard time justifying the purchase price for one project... anyone local to me own a Cameo and would be up for cutting some stencils? Happy to discuss compensation with the understanding that if the costs get to be the same as buying a Cameo I'd go that route. I've got some .ai files to work with as a starting point... and actually bought some vvivid vinyl that could be used if you are driving distance local... hit me up if you have some time/interest.

I have a full size vinyl cutter if you need something cut out. Not sure if you get down to the Buffalo area much, not at all right now with the rona I'm sure.

#428 9 months ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

I have a full size vinyl cutter if you need something cut out. Not sure if you get down to the Buffalo area much, not at all right now with the rona I'm sure.

That would have been super handy... boarders closed until at least the end of the month though.

#429 9 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

I got a practically new Cameo 3 2 years ago for $90USD on Facebook Marketplace. Or just take it to a sign shop.

#430 9 months ago

I’d definitely suggest purchasing one if you are on the fence. I’ve had mine for about 2 years, and it’s easily the best restoration purchase I’ve ever had. Here is a pic of a diner apron I recently did (airbrushed).

C797736B-BA70-4348-B52B-83565A2EDCBF (resized).jpeg4D2751ED-6AF6-42E3-B69E-0339FF63E3C9 (resized).jpegA31B40EB-1243-4C46-9CCB-25886A7B8FEC (resized).jpeg4016DB6D-C45F-4123-9973-905E43E91773 (resized).jpeg27177E1C-1EF4-4976-97DE-3AD07657D209 (resized).jpeg
    #431 9 months ago

That looks like it would have been a lot of work to weed... that's all done by hand right?

#432 9 months ago

Yeah. Weeding it was a ton of work, but worth it in the end. I just put a new blade on my machine, and was worried about the fine details being too small, but this thing knocked it out no problem.

Quoted from roar:

That looks like it would have been a lot of work to weed... that's all done by hand right?

#433 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mneubey:

Yeah. Weeding it was a ton of work, but worth it in the end. I just put a new blade on my machine, and was worried about the fine details being too small, but this thing knocked it out no problem.

That looks fantastic, I'd be curious if you remember your settings you used. I've found my attempts at precise fine detail like that to fail.

#434 9 months ago

Thanks! I used the default matte vinyl auto setting when I printed it.

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

That looks fantastic, I'd be curious if you remember your settings you used. I've found my attempts at precise fine detail like that to fail.

#435 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mneubey:

It is really impressive for sure... I bit the bullet last night and ordered a Cameo 4... family has all agreed they will try doing some crafts on it so it gets more use. Looking forward to playing around with it.

#436 9 months ago

Happy for you. I don’t think you will regret it!

Quoted from roar:

It is really impressive for sure... I bit the bullet last night and ordered a Cameo 4... family has all agreed they will try doing some crafts on it so it gets more use. Looking forward to playing around with it.

#437 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mneubey:

I’d definitely suggest purchasing one if you are on the fence. I’ve had mine for about 2 years, and it’s easily the best restoration purchase I’ve ever had. Here is a pic of a diner apron I recently did (airbrushed).

To echo the others, that's a great piece of work. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on getting a Cameo for my playfield resto, and have given only passing thought to the apron. This might be the tipping point! I'm guessing you started with a scan?

#438 9 months ago

Thanks! Yep, I use the hp 4670 scanner (which is essential for playfields) to scan, used Inkscape to trace, and printed in the silhouette software.

Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

To echo the others, that's a great piece of work. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on getting a Cameo for my playfield resto, and have given only passing thought to the apron. This might be the tipping point! I'm guessing you started with a scan?

#439 9 months ago

Here are a couple more pics of other stuff. I always meant to come back to this thread and post them since this thread is what inspired me to go out and buy one. I had no experience with Inkscape or any other similar software beforehand. Again, it’s kind of a game changer in my opinion with pinball restoration. Would highly recommend getting one.

4C15F8F1-E2F1-4496-8666-A730ADC06E9F (resized).jpeg058BB002-E0B7-48A7-8585-B1550A001EC1 (resized).jpegB0000E77-E361-4B57-B7A4-813D590909E9 (resized).jpeg82DAE360-A4C5-4419-9A8C-0CD3AC80612D (resized).jpeg4B162E15-8A3E-41EC-919D-8D3C3B147D8F (resized).jpegE30EAAE9-6FC9-403D-9355-26EA417A0F6E (resized).jpegEFA5025A-4A28-44AE-B64D-9C61563C7226 (resized).jpeg
    #440 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mneubey:

Here are a couple more pics of other stuff. I always meant to come back to this thread and post them since this thread is what inspired me to go out and buy one. I had no experience with Inkscape or any other similar software beforehand. Again, it’s kind of a game changer in my opinion with pinball restoration. Would highly recommend getting one.

Your posts have convinced me to get one finally. I have used InkScape a lot, I redrew a couple of entire playfields from scratch and had them printed. In your case for the TZ restoration, did you do a stencil for each colour?

#441 9 months ago

That fantastic! I did redo all of the colors on the tz playfield. For some reason, I didn’t take pics of the other colors. The pic from Inkscape just has all of the layers on.

Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Your posts have convinced me to get one finally. I have used InkScape a lot, I redrew a couple of entire playfields from scratch and had them printed. In your case for the TZ restoration, did you do a stencil for each colour?

#442 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mneubey:

Thanks! Yep, I use the hp 4670 scanner (which is essential for playfields) to scan, used Inkscape to trace, and printed in the silhouette software.

Perfect! I have that scanner, and have been working with playfield scans to clean them up. I've practiced using Inkscape, but not proficient yet. Did you use the base Silhouette software, or one of the upgraded versions? I downloaded the free version just to play around with it, but have gravitated toward Inkscape since it seems more robust and easier to use for separating the colors. Obviously some version of the Silhouette software is needed to drive the cutter.

Sure sounds like another toy in my future! Thanks for those great pics - amazing work!

#443 9 months ago
    Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

Perfect! I have that scanner, and have been working with playfield scans to clean them up. I've practiced using Inkscape, but not proficient yet. Did you use the base Silhouette software, or one of the upgraded versions? I downloaded the free version just to play around with it, but have gravitated toward Inkscape since it seems more robust and easier to use for separating the colors. Obviously some version of the Silhouette software is needed to drive the cutter.
    Sure sounds like another toy in my future! Thanks for those great pics - amazing work!

Free version of the Silhouette software does not allow for the importing of .svg files... I'm guessing the output files of Inkscape is an .svg? If so you will need to upgrade your Silhouette software to work with those files.

#444 9 months ago

Good call. I upgraded the software, and it was well worth it. If you keep an eye on slick deals, they will have a sale on it every once in a while. Considering the fact that the upgrade allows importing svg files directly, it's well worth the one time cost.

#445 9 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

Free version of the Silhouette software does not allow for the importing of .svg files... I'm guessing the output files of Inkscape is an .svg? If so you will need to upgrade your Silhouette software to work with those files.

Quoted from Mneubey:

Good call. I upgraded the software, and it was well worth it. If you keep an eye on slick deals, they will have a sale on it every once in a while. Considering the fact that the upgrade allows importing svg files directly, it's well worth the one time cost.

Thanks to both. I haven't produced anything useful in Inkscape yet, so I would have stumbled on this eventually. I started by importing my cleaned up scans into the freebie software, and was not happy with how it felt, so I moved to Inkscape.

Not sure I have the optimum workflow yet; it's been quite a learning curve. Scan, import into Gimp, clean up the scan, import that to Inkscape.. Then import the different colors into the Silhouette software, and cut.. Quite the learning curves on all these things, but I sure have seen some fantastic results posted here!

1 week later
    #447 8 months ago

Just scored a Cameo 3 on Ebay yesterday!

Now that I've taken the plunge, has anybody experimented with practicing on materials other than the Oramask or Gerber materials? I'm just looking for some cheapo material with the idea of getting some practice with converting scans to something resembling a stencil?

#448 8 months ago

You can buy some pens and just draw on paper, if you just want to learn to use the software. If you want to learn to play with the settings, though, this won’t help.

Worked for me.

Jeff

#449 8 months ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

You can buy some pens and just draw on paper, if you just want to learn to use the software. If you want to learn to play with the settings, though, this won’t help.
    Worked for me.
    Jeff

Huh.. Never thought of - gasp! DRAWING! What a good idea! True about the settings, but as I recall, there are lots of settings elsewhere in this topic that should either work immediately, or serve as a starting point!

Thanks!
    Bill...

#450 8 months ago

I've used poster board or acetate sheets from an art supply store to cut stencils.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 15.00
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 34.00
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 93.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.99
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 480 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside