(Topic ID: 105393)

Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

By Curbfeeler

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 425 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by pinheadpierre
  • Topic is favorited by 206 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 158 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

38D4A300-B108-4369-B830-42390EEF6F45 (resized).jpeg
    Getaway.JPG
    1839078D-0554-40B0-9482-1DEC3A256BD7 (resized).jpeg
    20190530_212643 (resized).jpg
    854D6EA2-CB2E-4C47-87C8-AD59C2F08C10 (resized).jpeg
    D3D13DF6-CA91-48EC-B585-FAA7EC7EA706 (resized).jpeg
    A1B2395B-FFDE-4AC9-90C0-4BC939AA6C78 (resized).jpeg
    44AB3A2C-3F6F-4900-BBEF-36FF66B6301F (resized).jpeg
    AD7A5BD3-F13E-43AC-AE63-C3C2A20A0514 (resized).jpeg
    4F713283-09BB-418E-AA62-54E8D60A290A (resized).jpeg
    A9DBC30B-7E29-4D8B-9525-B0251C2D248F (resized).jpeg
    C67C1F93-206F-4C13-93C2-B5908C9D9C9B (resized).jpeg
    4E75068E-B542-49C7-B06E-4FE0DD288210 (resized).jpeg
    9DBD07D9-9FBB-4C33-B589-27BCA33D8C6D (resized).jpeg
    92FACF5B-5679-4BCD-BA21-F25DF989460F (resized).jpeg
    0B14F318-6753-4D0B-9F01-279C9542D4A8 (resized).jpeg

There are 425 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
    #401 61 days ago

Another question, I ordered varathane spray can for clear to seal playfield before and during stenciling. Does this stuff yellow if I use as top coat? Vids guide suggests 2 part auto clear, but it is an older thread and paint compositions might be better now.

#403 60 days ago

Thanks, I read quite a bit of that thread. After carefull consideration and the fact I'm redoing and retheming woodrails, a little yellowing might be welcomed. More realistic or antiqued if you will. I will post my work progress.

#404 59 days ago

Just thought of another current issue I would have if I used 2 part clear at this time (March, 28th,2020). I would not be able to buy paint respirator anywhere.

2 weeks later
    #405 43 days ago

Does anyone here have a scan (or better yet cameo art) for an early Stern apron? I’m working on a Seawitch, but the scan doesn’t have to be from Seawitch since there were a number of games with the same apron, just different colors.

#406 43 days ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Does anyone here have a scan (or better yet cameo art) for an early Stern apron?

I can go by my storage and pull / scan this one from a Magic this weekend if no one else can do it sooner or this one will not work for you?
    Obviously I'll remove the vending decals first (hopefully w/o damage).

20190530_212643 (resized).jpg
    #407 43 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I can go by my storage and pull / scan this one from a Magic this weekend if no one else can do it sooner or this one will not work for you?
    Obviously I'll remove the vending decals first (hopefully w/o damage).[quoted image]

I appreciate the offer - thank you! Don’t make a special trip just yet. I’ve got an offer from another pinsider to scan an apron for me. If he doesn’t come through, can I follow up and take you up on your offer? Thanks again

#408 40 days ago

I received my USCutter SC2 28in cutter last week. There are some initial assembly and start up problems.

1. Screws for the roller guides on the stand were not the right thread.
    I had to re tap 6 holes for screws that I had available.

2. Growling upon powerup. Cutter carriage kept trying to move past right side of machine stop and would not home.
    Support phone number on website is disconnected. Website support had me remove side covers and top rail and inspect homing switch. It was ok, then I noticed the cutter carriage was not seated properly in slide rails. Must have dislodged during shipping or was not assembled correctly to begin with. The website did explain reseating of this by inserting top carriage nylon rollers into guide rail then lifting the assembly up as they are spring loaded to allow to seat the bottom 2 rollers. Put it back together, powered up and it homed OK. Phew.

3. The Vinyl Master software becomes unresponsive and locks up.
    I had learned that you need to give it time to respond to keystrokes or button presses to keep it from locking up. Maybe my computer is inadequate but I am running windows 10 64 bit.

4. Communication setup is wacked in my opinion. The unit comes with a usb cable but you cannot select usb communications when setting it up even though it is a selection.
    You must follow the instruction book and select serial communication even with the usb cable.

5. Some times you need to press the local/pause switch a few times to get it to change modes (basically online offline option) The switch does work as I can here the stepper motor turn on or off, but the lcd menu doesn't always change.

It is a nice looking machine and affordable but I wasn't expecting these problems out of the box. I did do a test cut and it worked. Now I just have to learn how to create stencils with it. lol

#409 39 days ago

Hi,
    I would love some help from a member of this club. I have been watching this thread from the start and thought about buying one. But I have come to the conclusion that it does not make sense as I only need it for one job/task.

Thats why I hope someone in here can help me out. I will of course pay for it.

I need to restore my T2 apron. The Williams design is similar on multiple games so I hope someone in hear already has done the work? And can sell me a stencil I can use?
    I have airbrush paints ready if that is the way to go if you can make a frisket.
    I really hope someone will help me out and again. I will of course pay for the work and shipping.

1839078D-0554-40B0-9482-1DEC3A256BD7 (resized).jpeg
    #410 39 days ago

I can provide you the vectorized apron design in PDF format for free. It is for Getaway but it does not matter as the only difference is in colors. I would send you the stencil, but it would take forever to get it to you in current circumstances in the world. So you can send the file to a pinsider within USA to cut it for you.

Quoted from tezting:

Hi,
    I would love some help from a member of this club. I have been watching this thread from the start and thought about buying one. But I have come to the conclusion that it does not make sense as I only need it for one job/task.
    Thats why I hope someone in here can help me out. I will of course pay for it.
    I need to restore my T2 apron. The Williams design is similar on multiple games so I hope someone in hear already has done the work? And can sell me a stencil I can use?
    I have airbrush paints ready if that is the way to go if you can make a frisket.
    I really hope someone will help me out and again. I will of course pay for the work and shipping.[quoted image]

Getaway.JPG
    #411 39 days ago

I’ve got lots of GerberMask and can cut it if you don’t mind the shipping wait. Think you are in a Nordic country?

You might want to read my effort at doing an apron above.

#412 39 days ago

So is there a quick and dirty “this is how to make your own custom plastic”? Banzai Run has one that’s both easy to break and while repros appear to occasionally get done, they also seem to suck. It looks like it’s possible with a Cameo from the things I’ve seen said, but I haven’t stumbled upon the how yet.

FWIW, I have a Cameo 4 and I’ve done some normal sign vinyl and I’ve also done some heat transfer vinyl for shirts. I’m pretty comfortable with AutoCAD, Inkscape, and Silhouette Design at this point, but have no idea what “frisket” is and haven’t used any of the wet transfer vinyls you guys seem to be discussing. Anyone got a clear guide for the best way to do a plastic repro?

—Donnie

#413 39 days ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

So is there a quick and dirty “this is how to make your own custom plastic”? Banzai Run has one that’s both easy to break and while repros appear to occasionally get done, they also seem to suck. It looks like it’s possible with a Cameo from the things I’ve seen said, but I haven’t stumbled upon the how yet.
    FWIW, I have a Cameo 4 and I’ve done some normal sign vinyl and I’ve also done some heat transfer vinyl for shirts. I’m pretty comfortable with AutoCAD, Inkscape, and Silhouette Design at this point, but have no idea what “frisket” is and haven’t used any of the wet transfer vinyls you guys seem to be discussing. Anyone got a clear guide for the best way to do a plastic repro?
    —Donnie

I’ve had success with simply printing the graphic on high quality photo paper with archival ink and then adhering the image to the underside of a piece of acrylic with optically clear adhesive film. Though I’ve used the Cameo extensively for playfield and cabinet restoration, I’ve never used it for plastic reproduction.

#414 38 days ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

—Donnie

I wouldn't use the cameo, you'd be weeding forever.
    There's a great tutorial on YouTube how to use waterslide decals to make plastics. I've made a few. Color LaserJet will provide better results than inkjet.

#415 38 days ago
    Quoted from rygar:

I can provide you the vectorized apron design in PDF format for free. It is for Getaway but it does not matter as the only difference is in colors. I would send you the stencil, but it would take forever to get it to you in current circumstances in the world. So you can send the file to a pinsider within USA to cut it for you.
    [quoted image]

Thank you this is very kind of you.

Quoted from dr_nybble:

I’ve got lots of GerberMask and can cut it if you don’t mind the shipping wait. Think you are in a Nordic country?
    You might want to read my effort at doing an apron above.

Thank you. This would be so awesome! Time is no issue. I started the restoration five years ago. So I am not in a hurry while this is the last puzzle I need to solve.
    I would love to read about your effort. Do you have a direct link?

I’ve had success with simply printing the graphic on high quality photo paper with archival ink and then adhering the image to the underside of a piece of acrylic with optically clear adhesive film. Though I’ve used the Cameo extensively for playfield and cabinet restoration, I’ve never used it for plastic reproduction.

Sorry if I don’t understand it 100% but don’t you get a white “edge” when using photo paper?
    Do you have images of the process?

#416 38 days ago
    Quoted from tezting:

Thank you this is very kind of you.

Thank you. This would be so awesome! Time is no issue. I started the restoration five years ago. So I am not in a hurry while this is the last puzzle I need to solve.
    I would love to read about your effort. Do you have a direct link?

Sorry if I don’t understand it 100% but don’t you get a white “edge” when using photo paper?
    Do you have images of the process?

I guess it depends on the graphic. I assume you mean for a graphic with transparent places in the image field? How about posting a picture of the plastic you’re wanting to reproduce? That would make advising on process easier.

#417 38 days ago

An apron redone in vinyl:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-save-a-sorcerer-or-how-to-spend-3000-on-a-1200-machine/page/2#post-5153916

An apron redone by airbrush:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club/page/8#post-5382809

An apron redone by rub-on transfer:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-method-for-apron-art#post-4012132

Personally I'd be inclined to do rub-on transfer. Let me know which way you want to go (PM if you want me to cut paint mask for you).

#418 36 days ago

Does anyone here have a scan (or better yet cameo art) for an early Stern apron? I’m working on a Seawitch, but the scan doesn’t have to be from Seawitch since there were a number of games with the same apron, just different colors.

Did you find a scan? I can try to get one of my Wild Fyre if you need. I use the Adobe Capture app - Shapes to scan for cutting.

#419 36 days ago

I guess it depends on the graphic. I assume you mean for a graphic with transparent places in the image field? How about posting a picture of the plastic you’re wanting to reproduce? That would make advising on process easier.

Its not plastic but my T2 apron.

#420 36 days ago
    Quoted from lizzyd:

Did you find a scan? I can try to get one of my Wild Fyre if you need. I use the Adobe Capture app - Shapes to scan for cutting.

I did, thank you. cottonm4 took care of me!

2 weeks later
    #421 21 days ago

what do you guys use for your vinyl? I've used up what came with the cameo and am looking for new vinyl to cut and use for paint masking, but everything says "permanent adhesive" and I don't want permanent, I want a temporary lower tack so it won't tend to pull up the surrounding artwotrk when removed.

#424 18 days ago

I did, thank you. cottonm4 took care of me!

I need this for a Star Gazer build so if you are able to get a file I would really appreciate it. I don’t have a cameo but a friend of mine does. This apron looks great but a bit naked currently.

38D4A300-B108-4369-B830-42390EEF6F45 (resized).jpeg
    #425 18 days ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I need this for a Star Gazer build so if you are able to get a file I would really appreciate it. I don’t have a cameo but a friend of mine does. This apron looks great but a bit naked currently.
    [quoted image]

Working my way through some related projects...apron stencil is on the short list, though. I’ll post here and in the Seawitch club thread when I have something to share.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 254.99
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 279.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 495.00
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    $ 999.00
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 399.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Bent Mods
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 13.00
    There are 425 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside