Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

(Topic ID: 105393)

Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

By Curbfeeler

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by pinheadpierre
  • Topic is favorited by 156 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5485 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5482 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5462 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9976 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20180924_165209 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20180825_150210 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0150 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20180805_100829 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180804_154918 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180804_155334 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180804_153816_849 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180804_143319 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180804_142801 (resized).jpg
    20180731_095748 (resized).jpg
    20180802_121105 (resized).jpg

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 6 months ago

Printed out all the stencils for my Bank Shot restoration! Tried them out on the cabinet and they look great! Wish the Oramask backing was a little more transparent. Now time to prep the cabinet...

I cheaped out in the essence of maximizing my roll of Oramask. Hoping lining them up works out. The bigger longer pieces (not pictured) I lined up and taped to the cabinet, then cut the edges/corners for easy alignment when I get to that point.

IMG_20180825_150210 (resized).jpg
    #302 6 months ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Hoping lining them up works out.

Did my SI stencils in two pieces. Just takes a little patience.

Shawn
    IMG_3604 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
    #303 5 months ago

Anyone have trouble getting true curves? You can see pretty easily defined different lines instead of a curve.
    I make these in Illustrator by creating two points and using the convert anchor point tool to get the curves I desire.

IMG_20180924_165209 (resized).jpg
    #304 5 months ago

Curves should be perfect, but I use Inkscape.

#305 5 months ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Anyone have trouble getting true curves?

Did you you the trace function in cameo or did you export from AI to a DXF and then import the dxf in cameo?
    I had problems like yours before I started using dxf files, now i never use the trace function.

#306 5 months ago

Many possible causes, but the cutter should not be one. Those look like a point to point issue in a line segment. I also doubt it’s a trace issue unless your art has a weird contrast issue around there. I would triple check the source file for line joins, if you have joined paths it’s easy to forget to convert to a spline at the join and end up with point to point linear interpolation (looks like your pic does).

If you don’t solve quickly on your own post exact sequence and software so someone using the same work flow or similar, can help.

Also, don’t make your stencils like this in illustrator. Long experience by many has shown that using a continuous line segment and rapidly clicking around the art your making a stencil for, then using the available tools to finely manipulate curve type/bezier points (maybe misrembering technical term here) you can adjust/move/add/delete points to get it perfect. I bet a very good beer this is due to your drawing process.

1 month later
    #307 4 months ago

I just got a silhouette 3 and I have to say I am having a lot of trouble with their website. The install instructions say, "Connect the Silhouette to your computer with the included USB cable as shown below:

As the Silhouette CAMEO® 3 is powered on and is hooked up to your computer via USB cable, the free 100 images will automatically be loaded into your library."

but nothing happens when I connect and turn it on other than it has some tutorials on how to load/unload/use.

There seems to be 3 websites: silhouette america, club silhouette and the store and each has a separate login but sometimes they want a different account and sometimes they complain that account is already in use.

I did receive a free "complementary trial subscription code" but I can't find anywhere to use it or what its supposed to be. Literally, thats all it says: "Thank you for registering your machine with Silhouette America. Below is your complementary trial subscription code." - no link, no explanation of what it is, no nothing.

So I just ignore all the online stuff? It seems like it doesn't apply to pinball scanning/cutting anyway.

#308 4 months ago

Unless you are planning on spraying "Live Laugh Love" on an old wooden pallet, not really worth the hassle.

#309 4 months ago

Ignore the web site...scan the PF using your chosen scanners software (or photoshop elements) and trace using the software Silhouette provides.

2 months later
    #310 41 days ago

Redoing Drop Targets on Count-Down.

Metallic art, I may go with metallic paint, but am concerned about durability. Here are pics of metallic gold leaf cut using Cameo 3.

I like the idea that the paint would lie flat, as opposed to the decal which is raised. However, there decal is more reflective and easier to place and less prone to errors such as overspray, smudging etc.....decisions, decisions!
    IMG_5462 (resized).JPGIMG_9976 (resized).JPG

#311 40 days ago

you could always put a piece of adhesive mylar over the entire target face after applying the metallic bullseye rings to protect it

#312 40 days ago

i was considering that, or perhaps spraying a clear gloss. I'll have to see how those affect the reflectiveness of the foil.

Either way, it's great to have the Silhouette cutters for these. Practically pays for itself on this project alone.

#313 40 days ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

i was considering that, or perhaps spraying a clear gloss. I'll have to see how those affect the reflectiveness of the foil.
    Either way, it's great to have the Silhouette cutters for these. Practically pays for itself on this project alone.

I don’t think the clear will hold up to the ball smashing into it. I could be weonf. I use Mylar. You can actually cut it with the cutter and it will be a perfect shape to apply.

#314 40 days ago

I've used adhesive backed mylar sheets in the past for spinners. I think that I got it from Staples, but can't remember for sure. Will search in the morning. I did a couple of tests with clear gloss enamel. The color from the foil ran and smudged a bit on the first attempt, but was ok on the 2nd when I laid down a thinner coat.

#315 39 days ago

ok, Final decision. I laminated the gold foil with clear adhesive backed laminate. Then cut using my Cameo 3.

Here are results....before and after.

IMG_5482 (resized).JPGIMG_5485 (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #316 6 days ago

I am looking at adding a Cameo cutter to my toolset for restoring playfields. I already have a playfield scanner, and I have an old i5 laptop that I use in my shop with the scanner and my eprom writer.

So is this a piece of equipment that you should buy new, or can you get by with a used unit? If you go used, and get a older model Cameo, are there any substantial differences in the output capacities I should be aware of?

#317 6 days ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I am looking at adding a Cameo cutter to my toolset for restoring playfields. I already have a playfield scanner, and I have an old i5 laptop that I use in my shop with the scanner and my eprom writer.
    So is this a piece of equipment that you should buy new, or can you get by with a used unit? If you go used, and get a older model Cameo, are there any substantial differences in the output capacities I should be aware of?

Just shop around for a good price, then go to some place that price matches. I picked mine up at JoAnn Fabrics for about $100 less than the going rate at the time thanks to their price match policy.

#318 6 days ago

Well I pulled the trigger on a used ebay unit that looks practically new. We will see how this goes.

#319 6 days ago

Well I pulled the trigger on a used ebay unit that looks practically new. We will see how this goes.

That's what I did, no regrets.

#320 5 days ago

These are a great addition to your arsenal. You'll never go back to cutting circles and curves by hand....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 9.95
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    € 15.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Cabinet Parts
    PinBoltCaps
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside