(Topic ID: 105393)

Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

By Curbfeeler

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 480 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by WhiskeyTango
  • Topic is favorited by 215 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 183 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    180E2744-3720-444D-A28D-865666260905 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8078 2 (resized).png
    2449D60A-0C8A-4A08-9623-FEF695F0F319 2 (resized).JPG
    20201001_070551 (resized).jpg
    20201001_070458 (resized).jpg
    20201001_070451 (resized).jpg
    20201001_070443 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7766 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7550 (resized).jpeg
    659FECAA-A81E-469A-A79B-F76BC40494F7 (resized).jpeg
    CAAB53B7-9019-4301-B572-E32EFA25ED20 (resized).jpeg
    0E0E1652-B03B-43D7-A622-79B03D2787F4 (resized).jpeg
    B0000E77-E361-4B57-B7A4-813D590909E9 (resized).jpeg
    4B162E15-8A3E-41EC-919D-8D3C3B147D8F (resized).jpeg
    058BB002-E0B7-48A7-8585-B1550A001EC1 (resized).jpeg

There are 480 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I have. Not always. I haven't yet figured out why it happens sometimes.

This happens when the scanner is not directly on the object. For example, when you scan a Backglass, the art is actually the thickness of the glass away from the scanner. I have never had an issue when the scanner was pressed onto the surface. It seems like there were some settings that helped with this as well. I will try and look at mine and see.

#202 3 years ago

I have not seen any odd colour striping with mine. The comment about back glasses is correct, the scanner focuses only on objects up tight to it, nothing you can do to change that.

#203 3 years ago

Thanks, It's not a big deal for my application, but still......

It is a pretty neat scanner. I wish the drivers were updated, but that's HP for ya.

#204 3 years ago

This is perfect. You really got a perfect project.

#205 3 years ago

What model is the scanner? I seem to recall that there is one that works best and cannot remember. I need to find one of those on e-bay I guess.

Shawn

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

What model is the scanner? I seem to recall that there is one that works best and cannot remember. I need to find one of those on e-bay I guess.
    Shawn

HP ScanJet 4600 or 4670.
    Make sure it is the scanner and not just the transparent materials adapter (TMA).

This also works although the scan bed is much smaller. It is easier to wrangle though because it runs on batteries (plus it is readily available):
    http://www.getdoxie.com/product/flip/

#207 3 years ago

HP 4670, makes life easy. I just got one, and scanned a glass. The colors are way off though. I know there are adjustments, any suggestions?

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

HP ScanJet 4600 or 4670.
    Make sure it is the scanner and not just the transparent materials adapter (TMA).
    This also works although the scan bed is much smaller. It is easier to wrangle though because it runs on batteries (plus it is readily available):
    http://www.getdoxie.com/product/flip/

Also make sure it comes with the power/usb cord. It is a special cord that is not readily replaced.

#209 3 years ago

Mine had no power supply but did have the weird cord and the power draw is more than the typical wall wart can provide. I wound up using an RC truck LiPo 3S battery which can provide a ton of current.

For DropTarget, are your colours off if you scan a normal photo? I don't see why the glass would alter the colours. I always do a scan of the carpet the thing is sitting on as a test and the colours look really good.

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Mine had no power supply but did have the weird cord and the power draw is more than the typical wall wart can provide. I wound up using an RC truck LiPo 3S battery which can provide a ton of current.
    For DropTarget, are your colours off if you scan a normal photo? I don't see why the glass would alter the colours. I always do a scan of the carpet the thing is sitting on as a test and the colours look really good.

Good idea, I'll try to scan a picture first. I did try it on my carpet before doing scanning a glass, the carpet came out just fine.

I'll be using Pantone chips to recreate my art anyway, so it's not a big deal, just curious about the software adjustments.

BTW, be aware that the scanner may not work on your computer, the drivers are pretty old. I'm running a mac with 10.12.5 Twain is no longer supported, I managed to get it to work using my Parallel's Desktop running XP.

1 week later
    #211 3 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

I just got one yesterday. When mine scans, the resulting image has stripes going across the image. As in If an area is supposed to be solid blue, it gives alternating stripes of blue with a blue that is a slightly different blue. If you squint, it looks like the correct color.
    Have you experienced this?

Same thing happen to me but not all the time.

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from Model237:

I started a topic in the EM forum about ways to get overspray on cabinet stencils:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/underspray-on-cab-stencils
    Has anyone managed to "computer cut" stencil material and make it stand off the surface being painted, to get a fuzzy line?
    Also wondering if anyone has tried these vinyl masks for airbrush touch-ups on flaking backglasses.

I cut my stencils on a cameo using poster board, then layed the finished stencil on the cabinet and weighed it down, leaving the edges free to lift a bit. Worked fine for overspray effect.

#213 3 years ago

Hi,

I read somewhere the optimized setup for the HP scanner...

Descreen: ON
    Highlight setting: 70
    Shadow setting: 5

As you're scanning BG, the result is blur (glass thickness being 3 to 4 mm), but you may touch up through Adobe Photoshop.
    Make your scan 300 DPI (BMP or TIFF)
    According the result you want, don't forgot to mirror the images (if applicable).

#214 3 years ago

Good info, thx

#215 3 years ago

Another good reason to use a silhouette cutter.....

I just repainted my CC Beatniks cabinet and used a Cameo 3 to cut the stencils.

The art on my cabinet was totally painted over by a previous owner's kids, yes, including spray paint graffiti, so I could not tell if there should be spatter on the base coat. Being a relatively uncommon and unloved machine, I couldn't find any pictures where I could see the definitive answer. So, I did not spray any spatter, only to find someone here on Pinside a few days after the job was complete. He was able to (see where this is going?) confirm that there should indeed be spatter on the base coat.....enter the Silhouette. Since I still had the original path files, I was able to recut new stencils and used the previously weeded sections to mask over the painted colored areas on the cabinet, then proceeded to add the spatter. It worked out great, would have to have left the base white, or done some serious masking with tape without having the Cameo.

-W

3 weeks later
    #216 3 years ago

Is anyone using the Cameo V2? I can get one at a reasonable price and just wanted to know if it would be adequate for pinball projects. I can't find a head to head comparison of the 2 versions.

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from SteveNZ:

Is anyone using the Cameo V2? I can get one at a reasonable price and just wanted to know if it would be adequate for pinball projects. I can't find a head to head comparison of the 2 versions.

I've got one. It works great.

#218 3 years ago

Joined the club. Bought a Cameo3 from costco a few weeks ago. For my first job I cut some 3 mil mylar (the bulk mylar from Marco)

I cut some rings for pop bumpers and some half-moon pieces for in front of slings. Unfortunately, no setting for mylar in software so I used:

Speed 6
    Force 25
    2 Passes

Seemed to cut fine. Anybody have a better setting for cutting 3 mil mylar?

1510426120938-1579059658 (resized).jpg

#219 3 years ago

I haven't yet cut Mylar, but I have cut vinyl that is thicker than 3ml. I doubt that with proper depth and pressure settings you need to make 2 passes. Multiple passes increases the chances of cutting errors.

#220 3 years ago

Anybody know which settings to use when using the Cricut brand stencil material? I used the default settings on the Silhouette for "Stencil material" and it chewed it up really bad!

1 week later
    #221 3 years ago

Hello all,
    Right now im doing a full restoration on a Indiana Jones and i have one insert that needs a repaint on the yellow color...

I was playing with the software and i have the studio cameo file ready, but i dont have the machine yet, can you guys give me a hand to check if this plotter can handle a so precise cut...

A print screen of what i have
    Thanks

studioTest (resized).png

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from RGAires:

Hello all,
    Right now im doing a full restoration on a Indiana Jones and i have one insert that needs a repaint on the yellow color...
    I was playing with the software and i have the studio cameo file ready, but i dont have the machine yet, can you guys give me a hand to check if this plotter can handle a so precise cut...
    A print screen of what i have
    Thanks

The machine should be able to handle the cut but it's going to be a real challenge to weed the little bits and accurately transfer it. You would be better off painting the whole area yellow and using a waterslide decal sandwiched between layers of 2pac for the black. If you really want to paint it I still recommend a total repaint of both yellow then black otherwise you're going to have a fight with perfect registration.

#223 3 years ago

rgaires I agree with the above. It will cut the lettering okay, but maybe not the bridge. And if you do try it, fill in the things you are cutting so they are solid, else the cutter will cut both sides of the lines.

Shawn

#224 3 years ago

Im going to share a photo of the inserts... maybe you can tell me what is the best option
    1 - Mask the yellow, paint yellow, make waterslide decal of the black, and put it over..
    2 - Mask the yellow and the black, paint both..
    3 - Leave it alone, they are just fine..

P_20171103_003820[1] (resized).jpg

P_20171103_003829[1] (resized).jpg

P_20171110_213552[1] (resized).jpg

P_20171110_213706[1] (resized).jpg

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from RGAires:

Im going to share a photo of the inserts... maybe you can tell me what is the best option
    1 - Mask the yellow, paint yellow, make waterslide decal of the black, and put it over..
    2 - Mask the yellow and the black, paint both..
    3 - Leave it alone, they are just fine..

Not the best quality photos, sorry, i can try to take better ones if needed

1 week later
    #226 3 years ago

I have to lock up one of my cat's each time I just turn on my Cameo, she is under the impression it is her toy!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cats-and-pinballs-/page/25#post-4095852

2 months later
    #227 2 years ago

Anyone have a williams cursive logo in dxf format? PM me if so. Thanks!

#229 2 years ago

Gracias! Not sure I can do anything with the .ai format, but I'll try. I mainly work in Autocad, export to dxf, and load into the cheapo Silhouette Studio.

#230 2 years ago
    Quoted from chaskett:

Not sure I can do anything with the .ai format, but I'll try. I mainly work in Autocad, export to dxf,

If you need help pm me, I have ai and ps so can convert between various file types.

#231 2 years ago

CorelDraw (Home and Student version) is cheap and can import .ai files.

Silhouette Studio (when upgraded to business edition) should also be able to import .ai .dsv and .cdr files.

#232 2 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

CorelDraw (Home and Student version) is cheap and can import .ai files.
    Silhouette Studio (when upgraded to business edition) should also be able to import .ai .dsv and .cdr files.

Actually, i found the williams cursive logo is just a fattened Commercial Script font.

Here's what i did tonight... this PB apron has been bugging me so I cleaned it up with a gloss black Testers paint marker and a vinyl sticker made with the Cameo. Its not perfect, but better than it was. Atleast it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb anymore. The rest of the apron is in great shape so i didn't want to redo the whole thing.

20180207_224428 (resized).jpg

2018-02-07 22.49.40 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #233 2 years ago

I made a new Pinbot ADV. "X" decal using reversed white, red, and clear vinyl!

20180216_143429 (resized).jpg

20180216_161131 (resized).jpg

#234 2 years ago
    Quoted from chaskett:

I made a new Pinbot ADV. "X" decal using reversed white, red, and clear vinyl!

Looks good. Nice job

#235 2 years ago

Wife made these for me and I sprayed a small amount of polyurethane on them afterwards to seal it on.

A04F289F-3743-465C-8B0F-8C982DF6B1E6 (resized).jpeg

#236 2 years ago

nice, is that paint or vinyl?

#237 2 years ago

Vinyl and then sealed with polyurethane

#238 2 years ago
    Quoted from psd4me:

Looks good. Nice job

Thanks! I really like doing this stuff. My first job as a teenager was working for a vinyl sign company, weeding lettering, and my second job was working for a screen printer. This work reminds me of those processes.

#239 2 years ago

nice job

1 week later
    #240 2 years ago

I got tired of not being able to import drawings from Illustrator and upgraded the Silhouette software. Turns out that by upgrading, you get more tools unlocked as well which so far means that I can do most of my work directly in Silhouette Studio. I found a site that sells the upgrade for $20 less than it costs direct from the manufacturer. For $30 out the door, I felt it was well worth it.

https://www.swingdesign.com/collections/silhouette-software/products/silhouette-studio-designer-edition-digital-license-code-for-cameo-portrait-sd-instant-download

#241 2 years ago

Yeah- The ability to import SVG is huge, upgrade is worth it... Anything to speed the process! I actually think this is an area the Cricut software is both better and worse. You [I think] can use SVG with their basic software but it’s far less capable as a drawing tool...since I don’t do anything in Silhouette Studio I paid to upgrade to import SVG so I was somewhat less impressed cost wise... but it’s still worth it.

And I have to say, I have ended up using it outside of pinball, a lot. Kids want a lemonade stand? We make a kick ass sign!

#242 2 years ago

Inkscape is a good FREE vector program in which you can export SVG.

#243 2 years ago

^yes it is.

#244 2 years ago

does anyone have settings for cutting poster board?

#245 2 years ago

What material are you guys using for making playfield stencils?

#246 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomds:

What material are you guys using for making playfield stencils?

Oracal 813 and or Gerbermask

#247 2 years ago

More info on both can be had by reading the thread..... always a good start!

#248 2 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

More info on both can be had by reading the thread..... always a good start!

I had read the thread but so many materials are discussed. I just wanted to clarify what people are successfully using. Maybe I should have added that in my question.

#249 2 years ago

I used Oracle as the gerbermask was to pricey for me.

It worked great, except for small detail work. I also found it easy to use as frisket, lay it down and cut with an exacto.

While I didn't try the gerbermask, I suspect, as indicated in the referenced thread, that is it better for small details like lettering.

#250 2 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

I used Oracle as the gerbermask was to pricey for me.
    It worked great, except for small detail work. I also found it easy to use as frisket, lay it down and cut with an exacto.
    While zI didn't try the gerbermask, I suspect, as indicated in the referenced thread, that is it better for small details like lettering.

Oracal 813 is great stuff. I pretty much don't use frisket anymore. I use 813 for everything including detail work. The only exception being if I need to hand cut a mask on an area where lifting of fresh material is a concern. Then I use frisket because it has a lower tack adhesive. Gerber cuts nicely too but you can't see through it for positioning. That became a deal killer for me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 16.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 4,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 429.00
    Playfield - Other
    86Pixels
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 480 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside