(Topic ID: 105393)

Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

By Curbfeeler

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 367 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by PinballBillinFL
  • Topic is favorited by 178 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 128 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AS Cab Side Trace (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190626_181853 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9597 (resized).JPG
    taxitop (resized).jpg
    20190710_212032 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190615_115917 (resized).jpg
    reg update (resized).JPG
    IMG_20190615_114146 (resized).jpg
    scan3_2 (resized).jpg
    scan1_2 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2019-05-16 11.18.03 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2019-05-16 11.05.30 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2019-05-16 11.08.34 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2019-05-16 11.08.24 (resized).png
    during (resized).jpg
    after (resized).jpg

There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Slight problem, my father ordered 10 rolls of transfer tape instead of 10 yards of GerberMask!!!! Got more than a lifetime supply of that stuff now -- 1000 yards
    For Canadians, you can get GerberMask by the yard from NG Graphics at $8.01 / yard (or $4.40/yard for a 50 yard roll). I tried ordering a roll from the US they would not sell to me due to their dealer agreement.

NG or ND Graphics? I cannot find a site for NG.

#52 4 years ago

Silhouette + vinyl + plywood equals custom wall art. Just need to frame it.

20150822_213059.jpg

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I get what you are saying about the Oramask, but I am still having great results with it for bigger items. Here's a few samples of the home made stencils I did for my latest projects.

IMG_3604.JPG

Hi there! I'm going to replicate the side art on my high speed. Now I only have the silhouette cameo so my question is how did you cut those big stencils for your side art? As far as I know (have not yet experimented enough) the cameo won't be able to cut anything larger than the cutting mat.. Did you use a larger plotter/one that can plot larger masks/stencils? The side art evidently can't be cut with the cameo but maybe the backbox art if it's possible to cut from a longer piece of masking material.
    I was thinking I could try to do small pieces and align them on the cab but being able to cut the whole thing at once is of course to prefer. So, how did you accomplish this?

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

NG or ND Graphics? I cannot find a site for NG.

Sorry ND Graphics. But they told me they made a mistake and they don't sell it by the yard only the roll. So I am getting a roll, tired of trying to get this stuff!

They told me it is coming from Toronto, maybe you can convince a Toronto store to sell it by the yard.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRingMaster:

Hi there! I'm going to replicate the side art on my High Speed. Now I only have the silhouette cameo so my question is how did you cut those big stencils for your side art? As far as I know (have not yet experimented enough) the cameo won't be able to cut anything larger than the cutting mat.. Did you use a larger plotter/one that can plot larger masks/stencils? The side art evidently can't be cut with the cameo but maybe the backbox art if it's possible to cut from a longer piece of masking material.
    I was thinking I could try to do small pieces and align them on the cab but being able to cut the whole thing at once is of course to prefer. So, how did you accomplish this?

The cutting mat is for materials that don't have their own sturdy backing. The roll of vinyl or Gerbermask or whatever can be fed directly into the cutter.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRingMaster:

So, how did you accomplish this?

As dr_nybble said, the Oramask can be fed directly in, no mat needed. I did the side stencils in two runs. It's a pain to do but it works. Alignment is obviously key. It also took me a bit to figure out the settings on the layout of the software so it would do that. You have to specify the length/width of the material, etc.
    IMG_3598.JPG

So here is one run through the Cameo getting as much as I could in a single shot. I next did the upper half and then aligned them as best as I could and shot the paint. Much easier if I could cut it in one piece but you do the best you can with what you got.

#57 4 years ago

Thanks for the prompt answers! I got my cameo like 6 months ago and briefly tried it then. It's been sitting since then but now I've got to the point when it's time to start making stencils. Did not know its possible to feed the cameo from a roll, but I'm really happy it is! Doing something with what you've got is tops, I like that approach =)
    Will keep an eye on this thread and ask more questions when I get stuck.
    / andy

2 weeks later
    #58 4 years ago

Post some pics of using the Cameo! want to see some cool stuff

please

#59 4 years ago

That space invaders stencil is awesome- Congrats- more than a little work went into that and it came out incredible.

#60 4 years ago

I will be cutting new stencils for the front cab of my Gottlieb KingPin, working on restoration now and that part is just too hammered and yellowed to restore- in this case its trivial to do because I can cut them in pieces that align quite easily, but none the less- yet another pinball project that the Silhouette makes better- I am up to about 6 now- its a very useful tool and once your done with the learning curve its fast.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

That space invaders stencil is awesome- Congrats- more than a little work went into that and it came out incredible.

Thanks! I appreciate that. A few hours went into cleaning that one up, but still cake compared to the 6M$M I did a few years back. Ouch!

Quoted from mark532011:

Post some pics of using the Cameo! want to see some cool stuff
    please

I using it now to do work on my super cheap backglass replacement project. I don't want to post the same stuff in a different place so here's a link if you want to see. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cowboys-vs-aliens-a-side-by-side-rehab-project/page/4#post-2695555

1 month later
    #63 4 years ago

Hello All

Was wondering if there might be someone who would be interested in making a mask for me for my Jokerz?

At this point really only need the "Start Game" lettering that goes around the switch to start a game

Happy to pay to have this made

Anyone out there able to assist?

Thanks in advance

George

#64 4 years ago

Just this? http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/1308/image-17.jpg

Send me a pm, I'll cut it for you.

#65 4 years ago

Hello Curbfeeler

Thank you for responding. Actually all that I need is the writing around the start button with the two arrows

Again happy to pay for this service.

Grateful

George

1 week later
    #66 4 years ago

Anyone try using these vinyl masks for airbrushing new color onto flaked-out backglasses?

1 month later
    #67 3 years ago

Thanks guys for all your input.

Cameo has been on sale for some time now, got the starter pack but did not try cutting yet.

I have a very clean F-14 with the lifted inserts and worn decals and some damage on side cabinet. The inserts have been re-glued but I was still hesitant on the course of action with the decal. Your experience shared here is beyond helpful, and I am sure it will save me a lot of frustration getting this done right.

Cheers!

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from groobo:

Thanks guys for all your input.
    Cameo has been on sale for some time now, got the starter pack but did not try cutting yet.
    I have a very clean F-14 with the lifted inserts and worn decals and some damage on side cabinet. The inserts have been re-glued but I was still hesitant on the course of action with the decal. Your experience shared here is beyond helpful, and I am sure it will save me a lot of frustration getting this done right.
    Cheers!

Send me a PM when you finally decide to take the plunge and I can share some files that will be a big help.

#69 3 years ago

Pinball buddy of mine recently shared some results of a Cameo job to restore lettering that was about 75% gone. In the first pic you see the shelf paper we used for test fitting. We also printed PDF to bond paper to get approximate sizing and were able to get almost a perfect result.

20151207_220417-1024x1365_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3754_(resized).JPG

#70 3 years ago

Who can give me some tips on positioning a large stencil? I tried floating it on some soapy water, I seemed to need a lot of water before I could get anywhere near a movable stencil. Still I couldn't really get it to float around while keeping it straight. Maybe the stencil is too big.

I am going to try transfer tape to position it instead and then carefully adhere it while not moving it from its original position. I also split up a large irregular mask into a few pieces to make it easier to manage.

#71 3 years ago

Cover the whole stencil with transfer tape. Position the stencil and secure one side of it with good painters tape. Lift from the opposite end and peel back 1/3 to 1/2 of the backing. Cut it off and lay it back down while squeegieing from the center out. Once that is down and smooth, remove the tape and lift and peel the other side. Squeegie it down from the center out. Voila. I make large (6' X 25') vinyl signs as a part of my job and I have never, ever used soapy water. Just makes a big mess, IMHO.

#72 3 years ago

Sounds better than water on a wood play field, I'll give it a whirl thanks!

3 weeks later
    #73 3 years ago

Good stuff

#74 3 years ago

How about the new cricut model?

#75 3 years ago

Had to post a pic here- in what has been a slow process with a lot of learning- I am happy to report that using a silhouette you can recreate a fairly large and complex graphic. I generated stencils for all colors, lettering, lines, etc for the entire bonus region of a Bally Playboy. After more than a few tries at each step- I finally have a working process down and here is the result. The entire graphic is new from the ground up- all with an air brush and the silhouette to cut using my favorite GerberMask stencil material. The "Thousands" lettering is very very small- less than 1/4 inch in height- probably less than 1/5 inch- yet the detail is really good.

The few seemingly different color spots in the solid colors are just low spots in the clear that did not sand down- so they shine a bit

image_(resized).jpeg

#76 3 years ago

The material you are using, is it possible to buy it in Europe?

#77 3 years ago

I actually do not know, its GerberMask- I would call a sign shop and ask. Its likely that the answer is yes, I just have no idea.

If you read up in the posts here you will find where I provide all the details on this material. I would have to look it up to do it again... so just read through you will find what you need to track it down. Its not super heavy nor very large so I suppose it would be easy to ship.

#78 3 years ago

ARGGhhh...

I have been using Adobe Illustrator for all my work and exporting SVG files and cutting in Silhouette studio. However, I am in a serious hate relationship with Adobe over their subscription licensing terms (only 20/month to play with pinball in illustrator... what a joke). I have the Affinity Designer trial version (50 dollars perpetual license) and I have to say, I actually like the tools in Affinity a tiny bit better for tracing fonts, they have a really cool shape/curve modifying tool that gets you super close, really fast. However, after tracing out the last bit of wording I need to finish my Playboy play field, I tried exporting a SVG from affinity designer and bringing it into Silhouette, and its not working. For some reason, the dimensions are all FUBAR. I have tried changing a lot of stuff and although not a pro, I have been around the block with this type of stuff. Has anyone tried this software? There is a thread on their support site from a year or more ago where a few pros (apparently) in the sign business were complaining about it not working (seemingly for a different reason though...). If anyone knows how to do this, can you either post or PM?

IF this can work, it makes it affordable. 50 lifetime for making and cutting pinball stuff is totally worth it. 19/month to Adobe is a joke. I used to get it with work, but changed jobs and feeling the pain of the perpetual license.

Thanks

#79 3 years ago

I use Inkscape. Its free, so you got nothing to lose for trying...

#80 3 years ago

I was also going to suggest InkScape. I use it right a lot and it has quite a lot of features.

#81 3 years ago

rufessor, I am looking forward to any updates you have on Silhouette settings and so forth that you have learned from your experiments.

If you use Inkscape, or perhaps your Affinity Designer tool is the same, you must scale the SVG after bringing it into the Silhouette tool. For Inkscape scale it by 25%. This is due to the DPI assumptions made by the tools (Inkscape=90DPI, Silhouette=72DPI).

I also found that the SVG size is computed differently for Inkscape/Silhouette. For Inkscape it measures from the edge of the object stroke whereas Silhouette does not care about the stroke width. Don't worry that the size of the image shows still different after scaling by 25% or whatever, it is just the different choice on where to measure the object between Inkscape and Silhouette. You can verify this by creating a 10cm square with 1cm stroke width to understand how they measure objects differently.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

The material you are using, is it possible to buy it in Europe?

Yes -- see

http://www.gspinc.com/distributors

#84 3 years ago

I also use Inkscape. I normally put a square 20mm by 20mm in with my project, and after importing I have to scale the whole project until the square is the correct size. This is because the free version of Silhouette's tool loses scale on purpose to try to get you to purchase/upgrade.

#85 3 years ago

I ended up getting "Make the Cut" with a Silhouette plugin.

#86 3 years ago

Thanks for all the replies- I will be trying inkscape. I could not figure out what was going on with Affinity Designer, its awesome software and I wish I could get it to work, but it was exporting svg files that were strangely skewed, its like it got squished down by 30-40% in one dimension- possibly even stretched in the other, which is a very odd scaling issue. I will try Inkscape and see how that goes for me. I may play a bit more with Affinity Designer, its very close to Adobe products in function, and the total cost is 50 bucks....

Inkscape download in 3-2-1....

Whats "Make the Cut" is a vector graphics program? I will have to look into that to.

Quoted from dr_nybble:

rufessor, I am looking forward to any updates you have on Silhouette settings and so forth that you have learned from your experiments.

Happy to share. I can look at my settings to see if I have changed anything, but I have been using consistent cut settings for a while now and with the material I use it cuts nearly perfect at amazingly small resolution every time. I have been teaching myself (e.g. failing a lot) to paint the stencils with an air brush and avoid lifting paint after peeling the stencil. I cannot claim to be an expert, but finally figured out a process that worked for me. I bet I cut 10 of those bonus graphic black stencils (I got pretty quick at weeding them) before I figured it out and they all cut perfectly once I got the settings dialed in.

Here are my cut settings, this works for the Gerber Mask material. Is this what you were looking for?

Ratchet Blade Depth 5
    Speed 1
    Thickness 6
    Line Segment Overcut OFF

advanced settings
    NO sort
    Minimize roller movement
    Return to Origin (this is useless really.. unless your going to re cut the same piece but its my setting)

I would be curious, and it would be valuable for others to know, if someone is cutting Gerber Mask with a Silhouette, are these settings working? Do you have a different setting you like?

#87 3 years ago

Curbfeeler- Thanks for tips on Inkscape scaling... I will play with that for sure.

#88 3 years ago

Just got message from store that the product is not available anymore and never will !

#89 3 years ago

You can tell Inkscape your DPI under Settings. Then you don't have to scale anything.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

Just got message from store that the product is not available anymore and never will !

I'm sure you can use any other type of paint mask. I did try to order some from the U.S. and they wouldn't sell it to me because of distributor agreement, I ended up buying a 50 yd. roll in Canada since they don't sell it by the yard!

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

You can tell Inkscape your DPI under Settings. Then you don't have to scale anything.

Inkscape isn't the issue. In inkscape you can save your file with a scale but when it's opened in the Silhouette software it's "lost on purpose" to try to get you to buy the pro version, which of course will keep the settings.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Inkscape isn't the issue. In inkscape you can save your file with a scale but when it's opened in the Silhouette software it's "lost on purpose" to try to get you to buy the pro version, which of course will keep the settings.

I meant when you import images, InkScape has a weird default of 72 dpi. The current 0.91 version now asks if it can use information in the file to determine dpi which usually works fine.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I meant when you import images, InkScape has a weird default of 72 dpi. The current 0.91 version now asks if it can use information in the file to determine dpi which usually works fine.

Cool, I'll give it a try.

#94 3 years ago

Hi Curbfeeler, fellow pinsider GPS replied to a thread I posted about a decal I would like for my pin and says you might be able to help?
    .....All I have is this image I found on line. I need it between 8 to 10" in height by whatever width looks right with the height.
    Is this something you can help me out with here? Thanks, Jon

MousinAround-Wheel-JR_(resized).png

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from bronco-jon:

Hi Curbfeeler, fellow pinsider GPS replied to a thread I posted about a decal I would like for my pin and says you might be able to help?
    .....All I have is this image I found on line. I need it between 8 to 10" in height by whatever width looks right with the height.
    Is this something you can help me out with here? Thanks, Jon

MousinAround-Wheel-JR_(resized).png

I can help with masks for painting but would be out of my elemental with a decal.

2 weeks later
    #96 3 years ago

The stripes are still a little off and the "PINBALL" is missing some of the inside lines. Otherwise, not too shabby. Two color vinyl overlaid on a freshly sandblasted and painted apron for my Space Invaders.

Before -
    IMG_6603_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6748_(resized).JPG

After -
    IMG_6878_(resized).JPG

#97 3 years ago

We need to have a repository

The apron looks great

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

We need to have a repository

CEASE AND DESIST!

#99 3 years ago

Yep- no faster way to bring a lawyer.... not advisable. If your really nice and have a personal conversation among friends maybe they could tell you how they did it.

#100 3 years ago

"Publicly available images and logos." As for the pinstripes, get a simple program like, oh maybe Photoshop Elements which comes free with Wacom draw pads. Start a new project with dimensions of maybe 10" tall by 25" wide? Then, using some very careful measurements, use a 35pixel paintbrush and mark all the starting points and corners of the outer strips. Connect the dots. Move 3/16 of an inch inward and run the second stripe. Cut the thinner stripe. Add an outline effect in the cutter software of .03" and cut the fatter color. Peel! Stick! Enjoy! (Ask questions if nesc,) Yes, the file repository is a fast way to trouble.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 149.00
    $ 29.50
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 12.99
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside