(Topic ID: 105393)

Silhouette Cameo Pinball Restorers Club!

By Curbfeeler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 782 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20231107_042527356~2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230921_055327649 (resized).jpg
    20240320_073552 (resized).jpg
    20240320_073555 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9229 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20240111_073600 (resized).jpg
    20240111_073544 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9552 (resized).jpeg
    20231222_175840 (resized).jpg
    20231225_164155 (resized).jpg
    20231221_064244 (resized).jpg
    20231222_135003 (resized).jpg
    20231222_134953 (resized).jpg
    There are 782 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 16.
    #451 3 years ago

Finally got my Cameo 4 yesterday. Did some test prints with it and then got down to work with the stencils. Pleased with the progress so far. Working on a second test run now making adjustments... adding registration marks to help with alignment.

0E0E1652-B03B-43D7-A622-79B03D2787F4 (resized).jpeg0E0E1652-B03B-43D7-A622-79B03D2787F4 (resized).jpeg659FECAA-A81E-469A-A79B-F76BC40494F7 (resized).jpeg659FECAA-A81E-469A-A79B-F76BC40494F7 (resized).jpegCAAB53B7-9019-4301-B572-E32EFA25ED20 (resized).jpegCAAB53B7-9019-4301-B572-E32EFA25ED20 (resized).jpeg
    #452 3 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

I've used poster board or acetate sheets from an art supply store to cut stencils.

To get that authentic edge bleed for old games, I’ve cut stencils with my cameo and then applied them to BIG pieces of cardboard and then cut the cardboard with a razor. Just enough paint bleeds around the cardboard stencil edges to give that old time look.

1 month later
    #453 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Finally got my Cameo 4 yesterday. Did some test prints with it and then got down to work with the stencils. Pleased with the progress so far. Working on a second test run now making adjustments... adding registration marks to help with alignment.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are you planning to add the registrations in the Silhouette software, or some other place? I guess it depends on where you separate colors into the individual stencil cuttings...

I've just been playing thusfar, mostly with the scans I did for my apron. Only two colors (plus base), so after I cleaned up the scans in Gimp, I separated the two colors into layers there, imported each individually into Inkscape for scaling and export to SVG, then imported the SVG files to the Silhouette software for cutting. No attempt at registration marks yet.

#454 3 years ago

I've been working on my first playfield repaint. Getting my scans to line up perfectly has been a challenge, so I add many cut lines to my stencils. The gerbermask is stretchy, so I can stretch it to match curves, etc. This cameo is a great tool for pin repair and this thread has been extremely helpful!

IMG_7550 (resized).jpegIMG_7550 (resized).jpeg
    #455 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

Are you planning to add the registrations in the Silhouette software, or some other place? I guess it depends on where you separate colors into the individual stencil cuttings...
    I've just been playing thusfar, mostly with the scans I did for my apron. Only two colors (plus base), so after I cleaned up the scans in Gimp, I separated the two colors into layers there, imported each individually into Inkscape for scaling and export to SVG, then imported the SVG files to the Silhouette software for cutting. No attempt at registration marks yet.

I have added some registration marks with the latest attempts... makes thing easier. I added them in illustrator, simple crosses with a about 5 pixel stroke I think.

1 month later
    #456 3 years ago

My almost finished project -used the Cameo & airbrushed everything. Couldn't have done it without the Cameo.

IMG_7766 (resized).jpegIMG_7766 (resized).jpeg
    #457 3 years ago

While I've had my cameo a while and shown in here some success, I still struggle with getting large projects like cab stencils to feed straight.
    I've searched this topic for FEED, ALIGNMENT and STRAIGHT and can only seem to find discussion on how to lay the already created stencil straight etc.
    I've had projects where I will walk away from my Cameo only to come back and find it has gone way off to one side and 30+ inches of material is wasted.

Here is where my question comes in, how does one make sure the material getting loaded into the Cameo stays square?
    It is not indexed or registered or anything, it just feeds in with only a guide line for visual alignment, no mechanical means for perfectly square work?

#458 3 years ago

i think you are describing two different issues. Getting it square in the machine and keeping it from slipping

I do wish there was a manual feed option but I created a test print with a tiny square 24 inches down. I make sure to cut the Mylar perfectly square and then when fed into the cameo it’s usually good but I check by sending my test print with a pressure of 1 so it won’t actually cut ( in case I have to do it again) and then watch the Mylar to see it’s not going sideways.

To keep it from slipping on long prints I am very careful to have no pressure on the rollers. I feed out plenty from the box and handhold it so there is never any lateral force

#459 3 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

i think you are describing two different issues. Getting it square in the machine and keeping it from slipping

Sorry, my explanation was a little confusing. I've not experience any slippage. Guess for that I've been lucky for I too pull out up to 60 inches for my long cuts. The reason I have wasted material is that it does not feed perfectly square so even a 1/32 or 1/64 of misalignment can be drastic after 30+ inches of travel.
    My machine does have a manual feed that I will use to 'scroll' up and then back to try and get it square but that tactic is not perfect. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing some magic tool that other used for a perfect square feed.

I like your method of a test square... have to ponder that one.

#460 3 years ago

Just so happens I had to cut a masking layer for a translite I am making. Here is how I currently set up for lengthy cuts.
    Again, my Cameo does have a manual feed under the 4 arrows option, then I feed in the material while watching the alignment line on the left.
    I also move the far right roller pressure thing more to the middle. That way if it does get out of alignment some, it will still put pressure on the material. Place carboard under the cutter to prevent the material from getting caught on the carpet.
    Just really with there was a more mechanical method for getting the material to run square through the cutter.
    Am I missing anything?
    20201001_070443 (resized).jpg20201001_070443 (resized).jpg20201001_070451 (resized).jpg20201001_070451 (resized).jpg20201001_070458 (resized).jpg20201001_070458 (resized).jpg20201001_070551 (resized).jpg20201001_070551 (resized).jpg

#461 3 years ago

I keep the right roller in the standard position. I precut long pieces of material like you did and lay the whole thing on the floor (hardwood in my case - minimal friction). I load the material, adjust straightness by eye if needed by temporarily releasing tension on the right roller, retension and then use the manual feed arrows on the touchpad to feed the material almost all the way through. If it walks off to one side, adjust and repeat until successful. When it’s good, use the manual feed arrows to get back to the starting position and start your cut job.

#462 3 years ago

I feel your pain... I just blew through a couple of feet of stencil material with it going out of alignment, last two prints I did I fed in more to start than you've feed in with your picture. In fact I've fed in enough for it to come out of the back the machine cause I figure I'd rather waste 6" than 24". Very frustrating. I am using the Cameo 4's "roller holder" if that is even a thing for my material.

End results are worth the pain...

2449D60A-0C8A-4A08-9623-FEF695F0F319 2 (resized).JPG2449D60A-0C8A-4A08-9623-FEF695F0F319 2 (resized).JPGIMG_8078 2 (resized).pngIMG_8078 2 (resized).png
    #463 3 years ago

roar did you use a scanner or camera to create the stencil?

#464 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boslaw:

roar did you use a scanner or camera to create the stencil?

Neither... used pictures found online and traced with illustrator.

#465 3 years ago

roar Is that a guitar amp?

#466 3 years ago
    Quoted from CanadianPinball:

roar Is that a guitar amp?

Yessir it is... goes along with this project I shared in the Fathom thread...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFe_0fgncgW/?igshid=18plfjgzw1aye

180E2744-3720-444D-A28D-865666260905 (resized).jpeg180E2744-3720-444D-A28D-865666260905 (resized).jpeg
    #467 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Neither... used pictures found online and traced with illustrator.

Nice, Time consuming to get the curves perfect.

#468 3 years ago

Silhouette power! Total repaint in progress. Key lines will hide many sins.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#469 3 years ago

Caribou Eh!

#470 3 years ago

roar nice job. the repaints and new stencils are where the silhouette really shines and you get the biggest bang for your buck.

#471 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Just really with there was a more mechanical method for getting the material to run square through the cutter.
    Am I missing anything?

I don't think so. I was hoping that the Cameo 4 with its built in roll holder would automatically keep material straight. It doesn't. All I can do right now is keep it down to 24" at a time. I'm looking for better solutions.

3 weeks later
    3 weeks later
    #473 3 years ago

I've tried the registration mark feature of the Silhouette to cut out labels for old EMs and it works great! Especially nice where the labels have rounded corners.

If you've never tried it, you basically print from Silhouette Studio and select an option to add registration marks.

Then you cut, and the Silhouette automatically scans for and finds the registration marks so the cuts line up with your print. Cool!

#474 3 years ago

I’m wondering if anyone else has had the issue I am having with cut&print from Silhouette Studio...

I recently prepped a full color decal for a playfield repair. Tweaked the colors a bunch, using Pantone values in Illustrator, until I got a decent match to the playfield inks.

Because this decal was a white waterslide which would cover some inserts, I wanted to print it from S.Studio, and then use the cutter to cut out both the outline of the decal as well as the “windows” where the inserts are.
    I exported the file as a TIFF from Illustrator, making sure first to use a CMYK profile and embed as such.
    Unfortunately, when I printed a test from S.Studio, all the violet came out purple, making the decal unusable to me. I ended up using scissors and an Xacto knife. Very frustrating.

Has anybody else had this problem/have you figured out how to keep colors consistent between AI and Silhouette Studio? I can’t believe this is some insurmountable issue, but my local graphic artist friend and AI guru was stumped.

#475 3 years ago
    Quoted from sethbenjamin:

exported the file as a TIFF from Illustrator

Did you try printing this exact tiff file from photoshop and see if the colors were correct or wrong? That would help indicate if maybe your color profile conversion is messed up, or if it’s actually the software.

Also, if the artwork is vector in illustrator (which it should be), then I’d export it as a vector format( pdf, eps, svg), not a bitmap /raster like tiff.

I assume silhouette can accept vector files, having never used it myself.

#476 3 years ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

Did you try printing this exact tiff file from photoshop and see if the colors were correct or wrong? That would help indicate if maybe your color profile conversion is messed up, or if it’s actually the software.

You mean as a check against the AI print? In illustrator it was just right. But worth trying, just to be thorough.
    I’ll try a different format next time and see if it makes a difference. I can’t feature why that would affect the *color* profile, but I’ll be the first to admit there’s PLENTY about the vagaries of software that I don’t understand...
    I’d really like to get to the bottom of this; until I can, it stands to be a substantial stumbling block to the way I want to use the cutter.

#477 3 years ago

I suppose if you were desperate you could draw the registration graphic at the right spot and print from Illustrator. Or maybe print it as a PDF from Silhouette Studio and re-import the registration marks back into Illustrator.

#478 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

goes along with this project I shared in the Fathom thread...

Bonus points if the inserts work.
    If not; then... well; I have a laser cutter and electronics skillz.

#479 3 years ago
    Quoted from sethbenjamin:

You mean as a check against the AI print?

yeah. Printing from illustrator is one thing, printing an exported graphic is another.

Just trying to rule out the possibility of your exported tiff being the issue, not the silhouette software. So if the same file prints fine from PS, then we know it’s the silhouette software. If it is messed up from PS, then it indicates that the tiff is the problem.

I’ll try to give you a shout tomorrow.

1 month later
    #480 3 years ago

I need to get something like this to redo my Pinbot apron.

3 months later
    #481 3 years ago

This might be unrelated sorry.

Wondering if anybody here has used a cricut to make custom made vinyl protection? Instead of using mylar.

#482 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

This might be unrelated sorry.
    Wondering if anybody here has used a cricut to make custom made vinyl protection? Instead of using mylar.

I do , have made lots of protectors for around the pops on restorations / playfield swaps. I also use it for shooter lanes etc

#483 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

I do , have made lots of protectors for around the pops on restorations / playfield swaps. I also use it for shooter lanes etc

What material do you use for that?

#484 3 years ago

What a clever idea, I never would have thought of it. I assume you can get clear media somewhere

#485 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

awesome to hear, I would be curious to learn more about your experience and also wondering if they hold up well. Do you find the vinyl is as resistant as mylar?

I am interested to know what level of accuracy you can achieve and how resistant the material is. How easy it is to install and remove, etc.

I am also in Ottawa btw! any chances you can make me a few so I can test in my games?

#486 3 years ago

awesome to hear, I would be curious to learn more about your experience and also wondering if they hold up well. Do you find the vinyl is as resistant as mylar?
    I am interested to know what level of accuracy you can achieve and how resistant the material is. How easy it is to install and remove, etc.
    I am also in Ottawa btw! any chances you can make me a few so I can test in my games?

I don’t really have any long term data in terms of how well they hold up but certainly it provides adequate protection for my needs. It is not nearly as thick as the mylar they used to put on playfield so certainly won’t provide that kind of protection. I’ve only used it on a good clear coated surfaces. Always wax before applying to facilitate easy removal.

PM me with details of what you want and I’ll cut you some test bits.

#487 3 years ago

Just buy mylar in sheets and cut it down. I buy rolls from PinRestore. Draw out whatever shape you need in AI or using the cutter’s software and it’s all set.

#488 3 years ago
    Quoted from sethbenjamin:Just buy mylar in sheets and cut it down. I buy rolls from PinRestore. Draw out whatever shape you need in AI or using the cutter’s software and it’s all set.

Didn’t know they sold rolls, Thanks I’ve ordered a couple

#489 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

Didn’t know they sold rolls, Thanks I’ve ordered a couple

is that shipping from the states? would it not be cheaper to buy mylar locally?

#490 3 years ago

I have been using Oracal clear vinyl for all of the protection I put on games. It comes off very easily when you see any wear. I use Oracal 751 - Transparent. https://denversignsupply.com/product/oracal-751-high-performance-cast/

#491 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

I have been using Oracal clear vinyl for all of the protection I put on games. It comes off very easily when you see any wear. I use Oracal 751 - Transparent. https://denversignsupply.com/product/oracal-751-high-performance-cast/

That is what I use now, I’ll see how the Pinrestore mylar cuts , it’s clarity and what I prefer.

#492 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

That is what I use now, I’ll see how the Pinrestore mylar cuts , it’s clarity and what I prefer.

is this shipping from the US?

#493 3 years ago

is this shipping from the US?

yes I’ve purchased tons of stuff from Pinrestore, they only charge actual shipping costs (started at $40 and they refunded me $17.80) I don’t know of any place local that sells “pinball” mylar.

#494 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

yes I’ve purchased tons of stuff from Pinrestore, they only charge actual shipping costs (started at $40 and they refunded me $17.80) I don’t know of any place local that sells “pinball” mylar.

Pinball medics in Ottawa sells it, it is probably the same stuff.

1 week later
    #495 3 years ago

What do you guys do for large scale mylars? I find that it is super difficult to get things to line up when its 20 inches across, the mylar static cling sucks itself down to the playfield and then sticks like crazy.. then when you pull it off, it comes away from the transfer paper and starts wrinkling... the whole process is quite difficult.

I've been thinking of using double transfer film to stiffen the mylar to keep it from wrinkling and using wax paper to protect the sticky side so I can slide it around on the playfield and see through it to line it up before peeling the backing off. how do you guys do it?

IMG_5635 (resized).jpgIMG_5635 (resized).jpg
    #496 2 years ago

Not sure I understand what you’re attempting here?

#497 2 years ago

I use GerberMask Ultra with clear transfer tape. Position the mask, tape it down on one side with painters tape. Remove some of the backing paper on the other side (cut a strip off with scissors) and adhere it. Now remove the temporary tape and slowly peel back the backing paper while laying down the mask. Finally remove the transfer tape.

But handing large pieces is tricky; if they are too big I cut them with an x-acto knife into more manageable sizes.

#498 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

I use GerberMask Ultra with clear transfer tape. Position the mask, tape it down on one side with painters tape. Remove some of the backing paper on the other side (cut a strip off with scissors) and adhere it. Now remove the temporary tape and slowly peel back the backing paper while laying down the mask. Finally remove the transfer tape.
    But handing large pieces is tricky; if they are too big I cut them with an x-acto knife into more manageable sizes.

this sounds like a good plan but I do not understand the process, I am sure it makes sense but this is something that I would like to see demonstrated in video rather than words.

#499 2 years ago

I show the steps in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bare-wood-em-playfield-repaint

This looks like a similar approach (probably what I should be doing):

There are 782 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club/page/10?hl=boslaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.