5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Bublehead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Where do you fall? Pick one”

• Age < 30, single/divorced 5 votes
      8%
    • Age < 30, married, sig other is a player 1 vote
      2%
    • Age < 30, married, sig other is a killjoy 1 vote
      2%
    • Age > 30 but < 50, single/divorced 6 votes
      9%
    • Age > 30 but < 50, married, sig other is a player 19 votes
      29%
    • Age > 30 but < 50, married, sig other is a killjoy 16 votes
      25%
    • Age > 50, single/divorced 3 votes
      5%
    • Age > 50, married, sig other is a player 9 votes
      14%
    • Age > 50, married, sig other is a killjoy 5 votes
      8%

(65 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled.jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Saying that pinball has been a male-centric hobby/sport/pasttime historically might upset the long term female player, and I will apologize for you having to endure the testosterone soaked fabric of the industry. That being said, my question is really the poll here... Being married to a pinball loving wife for almost 30 years (love you honey), our experience in pinball differs from most, but we believe this is changing. So I am interested in the results here to see if more couples are getting involved.

#2 5 years ago

My wife doesn’t play a ton, but she likes to play with me. She’s been playing in a lot more tournaments of late and just helped me run a pinball show this past weekend. I’d say we’re a couple that’s heavily involved.

Also, our two local pinball leagues consist of mostly couples.

#3 5 years ago

My wife enjoys a game or two on my machines, like Metallica or AC/DC she won’t let me sell as they are her fav bands. She also goes out of her way to find places to play when we go out, but she isn’t super into playing. I have a 1yr old daughter and I hope she enjoys it, so we can have some trips to play. I’m glad my wife supports the hobby I’m in, I wish she liked it more but we all have our own preferences.

#4 5 years ago

My wife IS my wife because she was the first girlfriend in 15 years of bachelorhood who DID NOT frown at my collection when she first saw it and didn't- over time- subtly try to get me to sell it off. (At least 3 gave me ultimatums!)
    My wonderful wife of 2 years doesn't play, but she sees them as beautiful works of pop art and is relieved that I'm involved in a legal, wholesome, unique, relatively healthy, social, non-offensive addiction.

#5 5 years ago

I lost my wife after 24 years of marriage about 4 and half years ago. I only had one machine at the time, and to be honest it sat in the corner mostly collecting dust. I got into pinball collecting hard core with my first NIB TWD:premium. Just about the time they had the major code update that everyone says really made the game enjoyable. Like any of my hobbies, she would have found her own place to join in the fun right alongside of me.

Fast forward to now, I have 17 machines, all but 5 are NIB purchases, and I have a female friend that quite enjoys playing, and going to shows with me. We have been to 4 this year, and she never seems to tire of it. Also if we are out of town doing something, we both enjoying finding places to play close by. Makes our road trips even more interesting and enjoyable.

#6 5 years ago

Not only is my wife a player (I got her a TWD (surprise gift) for her 40th), she was also the one that came up with the games room design! She is my pinball / gaming partner in crime (in a good way)

#7 5 years ago

My wife does not play hardly ever but does not begrudge me either. One of our first dates was buying my machine at an auction in 99. She will definitely let me get another one or two when the time is right.

My 11 year old daughter on the other hand is my partner in crime. She went from thinking pinball is lame to now she is helping me plot and scheme to buy more machines. Everybody needs a sidekick like this.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

My wife doesn’t play a ton, but she likes to play with me. She’s been playing in a lot more tournaments of late and just helped me run a pinball show this past weekend. I’d say we’re a couple that’s heavily involved.
    Also, our two local pinball leagues consist of mostly couples.

I fall around here. She will play here and there because we have them, or if we go out she'll play some games - so she enjoys it casually, but not to the extent that I do. It's never something I have forced on her (or anyone) though and I doubt she would really go seek it out herself if I wasn't in the picture and it wasn't so accessible to her. She is very supportive of my interest though because I think she sees the pleasure I take in learning about them, fixing, and playing them. There are worse things I could be out doing (right?)!

#9 5 years ago

I'm the one vote in 30+ and significant other plays, lol

Mrs. TheHueManatee finished first in "C division" at our pinball league. She was so proud she texted me while I was at work to brag.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

#10 5 years ago

Well by first glance of this poll, seems a manufacturer would be doing good to put out a machine that might turn karla (or karl) killjoy into a patty (or peter) playah... just what that machine might he is a big ??? But there could be a market...

For the ones with a karla killjoy, ask your SO if an Outlander machine would be something they might look at. The series on STARZ has a major following, and its full of brawny Scotsmen and bonny lasses, war, death, time travel... yes time travel.

As a theme for men, there is a lot of gratuitous nudity and sex, but I don’t think it is for the guys watching the show’s benefit. This is man candy for women, sort of, but the series has been an entertaining show that I share watching with my wife.

This show is based on the book series by Diana Gabaldon, a resident of these here parts in AZ.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/significant-others-and-pinball?hl=rasavage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.