• Latest reply 7 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1992 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

So....wiping off a dirty spot under the playfield and my rag caught the side of a wire. That wire is no longer attached to the metal tab, and i suspect it needs to be. Lesson 1: soldering. Where do i start? What is a good solder gun to start with? I assume i need electrical grade solder stuff....thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

Youtube has lots of short how to videos. Practice flowing solder and then move onto your machine with the machine turned off.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

YouTube and practice a bit. It's not hard for this type of repair. People here will tell you you need an expensive soldering iron. For repairs like this, a $40 job will be fine. Read Amazon reviews, don't breath in the fumes.

#4 7 years ago

Start here
pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1

Super good info!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Youtube has lots of short how to videos. Practice flowing solder and then move onto your machine with the machine turned off.

And unplugged!

#6 7 years ago

Yes...it is unplugged. I just got it....it is still in the being cleaned phase! Youtube here i come!

#7 7 years ago

get yourself a dremel tool and a brass wire wheel.
clean each part needing solder, as well as the wire ends.
if you do not clean them, you will be fightin oxidation, "solders enemy". and you will hate soldering.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

if you do not clean them, you will be fightin oxidation, "solders enemy". and you will hate soldering.

Man I don't know...total newbie...first game...first repair..."get a dremel and start grinding!!!"

I've done hundreds of simple solder repairs and never needed a spinning blade, let's keep it simple for the poor guy.

#9 7 years ago

Look on the right side... if you were able to pull a wire off with a rag getting snagged on it...

It wasn't soldered properly in the first place and needed to be fixed already.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man I don't know...total newbie...first game...first repair..."get a dremel and start grinding!!!"
I've done hundreds of simple solder repairs and never needed a spinning blade, let's keep it simple for the poor guy.

I have a feeling he's recommending that because this is for an EM, and would likely be beneficial when dealing with 40 year old solder and flux. I agree that I've personally never had to do this, but I've also never had a random solder joint failure on an EM, and have had tons on solid state, so.... /shrug

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

For repairs like this, a $40 job will be fine.

I use a $15 40 watt craftsman iron for wire repairs. Get them at any Sears or Kmart. It's more portable and easier to use under there.

#12 7 years ago

Thanks everyone....while i may be in the minority....i have never soldered before....my dad is an electronic tech and does that for me. But, he is often busy so what's a girl to do? Roll up my sleeves, watch me some youtube, and learn something new. Can't be that hard can it? Lol. Solder gun on order (with a call in to dad in the meantime.....)!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from MNpin66:

while i may be in the minority

You aren't.

Quoted from MNpin66:

.i have never soldered before

A little practice at a table with wire and solder, and you'll learn and be fine to move onto your game.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

That is total over-kill, a dremel to a solder pad? Odds are she will rip the tab right off. If the solder wont stick, just lightly scuff the pad up with some sandpaper.

However, when it comes to buying tools, nothing wrong with a bit over-kill. This is my favorite soldering iron and if you have Amazon you can get it at your front door in 24hrs. Technically all you need to focus on is a grounded iron (3-prong outlet) with a temperature regulator and a nice tip, as well a nice handle to hold onto so you have better control.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRC2XU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

As for solder, the thinner the better in my opinion. It heats up faster and you have have less drips and more control over small areas.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

She.

I apologies, and thank you for correcting me. Will edit that now

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from MNpin66:

Thanks everyone....while i may be in the minority....i have never soldered before....my dad is an electronic tech and does that for me. But, he is often busy so what's a girl to do? Roll up my sleeves, watch me some youtube, and learn something new. Can't be that hard can it? Lol. Solder gun on order (with a call in to dad in the meantime.....)!

Get your dad to buy the soldering iron an solder (not all solder is for electrical work) then get him to show you how it is done (you will be doing this again)
It is an easy fix, but even easier with someone guiding you

#18 7 years ago

Regardless, we are behind you. You can easily learn soldering and get the job done!

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Wouldn't a fiber glass brush achieve a similar result?

#20 7 years ago

Put an old towel below everything you are soldering, if its under the playfield and the playfield is open and upright, drape a towel over the stuff below where you are working. If any solder drips this will prevent it from falling somewhere you don't want it to.

IMG_1992 (resized).JPGIMG_1992 (resized).JPG

#21 7 years ago

The bigger the glob... the better the job is what I was taught when learning to solder!

Call me the globulator!

You shouldn't need any towel to catch excess solder if you do it right. Less is really more. Get the points to solder hot and add solder. Don't glob it on and drip it all over, your solder job will not last if your dripping it on like candle wax.

I like to go with a bit higher temp and less time on the points to solder, hot and fast! To each his own, wires are pretty easy to solder, boards take a bit more finesse.

Chris Kruger

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from joemamma:

The bigger the glob... the better the job is what I was taught when learning to solder!
Call me the globulator!
You shouldn't need any towel to catch excess solder if you do it right. Less is really more. Get the points to solder hot and add solder. Don't glob it on and drip it all over, your solder job will not last if your dripping it on like candle wax.
I like to go with a bit higher temp and less time on the points to solder, hot and fast! To each his own, wires are pretty easy to solder, boards take a bit more finesse.
Chris Kruger

I can't tell if you are making fun of me for what I thought was pretty practical advice for someone who has never soldered before. We all have to start somewhere, and better safe than sorry.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from timelord_warner:

Wouldn't a fiber glass brush achieve a similar result?

Yeah, sure would. been a loooooong time since I hurd any one refer to a fiber glass brush. wasn't that big in the 80's?

Quoted from Spock:

That is total over-kill, a dremel to a solder pad?

not really, when you have been doin this for as long as I have, you enjoy a little ease in your effort. I can clean a few pads with the dremmel before i can get sand paper shaped right to even get in there effectively.
the brass brush will not damage anything, and cleans very fast.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I can't tell if you are making fun of me for what I thought was pretty practical advice for someone who has never soldered before. We all have to start somewhere, and better safe than sorry.

I thought your advice was sound and well warranted. I've been soldering a long time, and I never thought of that. I learned something new!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sighand-the-repairs-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.