Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boscokid
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dt 3b (resized).JPG
    26-48-1246.jpg
    19 (resized).jpg
    18 (resized).jpg
    126-thickbox_default (resized).jpg
    17 (resized).jpg
    16 (resized).jpg
    14 (resized).jpg
    13 (resized).jpg
    15-04-0219 (resized).jpg
    12 (resized).jpg
    11 (resized).jpg
    10 (resized).jpg
    9 (resized).jpg
    26-48-1245lg (resized).jpg
    contact wiper (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Things that suck:

1. Science Deniers
    2. Pedophiles
    3. Williams System 3-6 drop targets

Pretty much in that order, although I understand if you want to move the drop targets up on the list.

Everything about Sys3-6 drops suck.

A contact problem on one side of the playfield, can keep the other side from resetting.

They used tiny, fragile wires. If one wire is off, the game will never know the the entire bank is down, and just sit there until you drain.

Many early games have no existing playfield schematics; so if you got a game that never worked, you might not have any reference on how it left the factory.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Sometimes 3 very short wires will be soldered to a single pad. A nightmare to solder in-game.

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
    #3 2 years ago

The "Horseshoe Contacts" wear right through the copper traces, leaving a game that does not know if drops have been knocked down.

This is extra bad for a game like Pokerino, where the entire game is drop targets....

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#4 2 years ago

The contacts at the end of the Horseshoes often wear out, or completely break off.

Then the ragged Horseshoe arm quickly chews through the copper traces on the board.

4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

The screw mounts are tiny, using even tinier #3 screws.

They were fragile 40 years ago, now you have to avoid even looking at them.

Of course, you often need to take the screws in and out a few times to adjust the Horseshoe tension.....yesh.

#5 2 years ago

There have been a bunch of different replacement boards on the market, but the best ones I've found so far are the ones from Hans at Siegecraft.

They have thick traces on the Horseshoe side, and you can use standard .156 connectors for easy service!
    100-thickbox_default (resized).jpg100-thickbox_default (resized).jpg

https://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=21&controller=product&id_lang=1

#6 2 years ago

You can solder the different board configurations yourself if you order from a 3rd party, or Hans will do it for you, if you order directly from him.

Note that there are 3 different boards for Pokerino, so you have to pay attention to the differences.

Some have tiny 0ohm jumpers, single or double diodes.

Don't mix them up during installation!
    5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg
    (yes, I re-soldered that diode that had broken loose during shipping)

8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg

#7 2 years ago

You get a full color schematic included with your order.

Look closely at the different boards, diodes and jumpers. You need to follow this configuration exactly.

You will use the schematic upsidedown like this assuming you have the playfield on your rotisserie.

(I'm showing Time Warp, because the Pokerino schematic was not yet available at the time of this review)

6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg
    #8 2 years ago

The ass side of the boards.

7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg
    #9 2 years ago

Homepin makes the replacement horseshoe contacts that are sold by Pinball Life.

https://www.pinballlife.com/drop-target-horseshoe-wiper-contact-blade-right.html

contact wiper (resized).pngcontact wiper (resized).png
    #10 2 years ago

Adding the connectors is the next step.

They are spaced for standard .156 Molex connectors that you probably already have a bag of.

If this is your first time, you snip them to length with your diags. 8 pins each, to be exact.

26-48-1245lg (resized).jpg26-48-1245lg (resized).jpg
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=26-48-1245

Adding connectors to a small board can be tricky for nubies.

A metal Paper Clip will hold the connector, while you solder the 2 outside pad groups.

Then remove the clip, and do the inside pads.

9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

Here you can see the boards with the .156 connectors installed.

Note that I chose to remove different pins on each board, so they are **keyed** and can't be mixed up in the field.

10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg

The female connectors are crimped, as normal.

If you need a guide on how to do that:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-re-populating-playfields#post-4545041

#12 2 years ago

On a 4 drop bank, it's even more important to make sure that each connector is keyed differently. 40 years in the future, someone will surely mess it up if you don't.
    11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg

#13 2 years ago

Here you can see the **Keying Plugs** that keep you from installing the connectors in the wrong board.

It's not enough to just cut the pins, you MUST use the plugs too.

12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=15-04-0219

15-04-0219 (resized).jpg15-04-0219 (resized).jpg

19 (resized).jpg19 (resized).jpg

#14 2 years ago

There were no replacement Horseshoes for many years, so people had to put their own replacement contacts on the existing shoe.

If the shoe itself was damaged, you were out of luck.

Now, you can get new ones from PL (as pins4u mentioned above)

https://www.pinballlife.com/drop-target-horseshoe-wiper-contact-blade-right.html

The new contacts are much smaller than the originals, so adjustments will be even more necessary:
    13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg

There are older "left handed" EM Horseshoes that are a mirror image of the above.

They won't work in these drops, so don't order them by mistake.

#15 2 years ago

The Leftside Jack bank was so close to the edge of the playfield, that even with the support rail notched, I knew my client would likely break off any protruding Molex.

14 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg

So I had no choice but to solder the wire directly to the board of the upper target.

16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg

One out of 9 aint bad.....

#16 2 years ago

Old Operator Trick #1281:

If two of the Drop Target Guides are broken with different posts, you can swap the two, Left for Right (on a big bank, first for last)

The new Post Holes don't have any screw threads (because they've never been used).

You MUST heat up the screw with a Cigarette Lighter, and gently "tap" in the threads.

If you just run a cold screw in, it will crack the new post too; because the post is 40 year old brittle plastic.

17 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg

I did see later on that Siegecraft has replacement guides available. I should have bought a few and tried them out (hindsight being 20/20).

You are going to need some....

https://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=79&controller=product&id_lang=1

126-thickbox_default (resized).jpg126-thickbox_default (resized).jpg

#17 2 years ago

Probably by the time you read this, Hans will have the Pokerino wiring guide up on his site.

With a little Horseshoe wiper adjustment, and a bunch of help from Seigecraft, we brought this beautiful corpse back to life.

18 (resized).jpg18 (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago

The Horseshoe contacts are the classic "Goldielocks" problem.

If the contacts are too loose, the game won't know if a target has dropped.

If the contacts have too much tension, the drops will hang-up; or sometimes not report "all targets down".

#19 2 years ago

Nice write up. Think I'll get some for Laser Ball.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Think I'll get some for Laser Ball.

You won't regret it. I used some on a LB that I restored, they worked great. I had a couple of questions during assembly and Hans answered them all very timely.

Vid, thanks for another great product review!

#21 2 years ago

Will have to order some.

#22 2 years ago

We've rebuilt drop targets on several of our machines (Blackout, Stellar Wars, The Black Hole (rethemed Phoenix) using our own redesign, which we've freely shared for others to use --

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2792174

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Leftside Jack bank was so close to the edge of the playfield, that even with the support rail notched, I knew my client would likely break off any protruding Molex.

I have ZERO experience with these mechanisms / assemblies. Just trying to help.

Would a right angle header work?

26-48-1246.jpg26-48-1246.jpg

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=26-48-1246

#24 2 years ago

The factory design was direct soldered, with often 2-3 wires in a single hole. When I did these I added a few extra holes to allow just a single wire per, and then did the size/spacing to allow the molex connectors.

So soldering the wires directly is far far more common, and closer to original, the molex connectors are an option if you want to go that route but are by no means required.

I'd avoid using the right angle connectors though, as they may potentially interfere with the reset plates. Length is pretty critical in some machines, depending on which reset plate was used. Williams had a few different versions.

-Hans

#25 2 years ago

Vid, you should check out my new replacement boards. These problems have been resolved.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-for-those-williams-horseshoe-sliders

Quoted from vid1900:

The "Horseshoe Contacts" wear right through the copper traces, leaving a game that does not know if drops have been knocked down.

No horseshoe contacts.

Quoted from vid1900:

The contacts at the end of the Horseshoes often wear out, or completely break off.

Nothing to wear out.

Quoted from vid1900:

you often need to take the screws in and out a few times to adjust the Horseshoe tension

Quoted from vid1900:

The Horseshoe contacts are the classic "Goldielocks" problem.

If the contacts are too loose, the game won't know if a target has dropped.

If the contacts have too much tension, the drops will hang-up; or sometimes not report "all targets down".

No adjustment needed.

Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes 3 very short wires will be soldered to a single pad. A nightmare to solder in-game.

Extra column pads for additional wires. Series wiring for all targets down are on board. Saves on daisy chain wiring.

dt 3b (resized).JPGdt 3b (resized).JPG
    #26 2 years ago

Nice write up - I can't be the only system 6 owner that frequently has to send the ball to the pops to get the targets to reset

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/siegecraft-sys-3-6-drop-target-replacement-boards-vid-s-review?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.