Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pinasco
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Idiotic question maybe, but being a newbie I'm going to ask anyway: I'm soon about to move a Big Guns (sys 11) Pin into a rather small door opening. There is plenty of space inside the opening - but the passage is too narrow to get the pin in there square straight ahead. Are there any risks if I and my buddy carefully carry it sideways (legs removed of course) with the head upfolded and move it in through the door like a "L-shape" to get past the door frames. Any electronics or glass parts that could get damaged ? Thanks in advance ! / P

#2 7 years ago

You are unlikely to damage anything electronic or glass by doing this, but I'd remove the balls. The biggest concern, IMHO, is supporting the weight of the head and cabinet, so as not to stress the area where the head attaches to the cabinet.

#3 7 years ago

If the body will fit, you may be able to just unbolt the head, keep it upright and rotate it 90 degrees. With legs on of course.
If not, mark all the connectors, remove them and unbolt the head.

#4 7 years ago

Sometimes in these instances it's almost better to take the head completely off. It is more work and a bit tedious, but it should drastically lower the risk involved with damage to the head and backglass.

#5 7 years ago

I'm about to be in a similar position just bought an older house. A data east head is about 27 and 1/2 inches at the widest point. my door way without the door is maybe 29. I don't want to destroy my art work. Sideways is a good idea, I'm not very comfortable with taking the head off.

#6 7 years ago

Yup totally agree with the 90 degree turn (or even a 45.5 degree), you only need it that way long enough to get it though the door and with its legs still on. I used to have to do it here for years on certain games coming into my shop but I installed a 36" door and never had to worry about it again.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#7 7 years ago

Thanks a lot for the hints and information.

Quoted from bobnatlanta:

You are unlikely to damage anything electronic or glass by doing this, but I'd remove the balls. The biggest concern, IMHO, is supporting the weight of the head and cabinet, so as not to stress the area where the head attaches to the cabinet.

@bobnatlanta: I appreciate the warning, I had not considerad that stress at all, but realize now that it could be quite some force on the attachment points. I will procede with caution here.

It is possible that I will get a small cart with a long surface to rest the pin upon (sideways). So that one guy can push the cart carefully in position through the door, while the other steers while walking backwards into the room and keeps his hands under the head to support it.

As a possible alternative, I will look how the head is attached, and maybe go for the unbolt-and-45-degree-turn after all.

Quoted from Dayhuff:

I used to have to do it here for years on certain games coming into my shop but I installed a 36" door and never had to worry about it again.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

That is one attractive solution, I can agree !!!! . I just have to get the necessary permissions for such building actions

Best regards/ P

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 22.50
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sideways-carry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.