AFMTD2_006.jpg
AFMTD_018.jpg
BSD_Side-rails__.jpg
BSD_Side-rails__.jpg
BSD_Side-rails_.jpg
BSD_Side-rails_.jpg
BSD_Side-rails.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Is it possible to remove the metal siderails on my pin? I just picked up a "Williams Widebody" playfield glass for my Judge Dredd, and it *just* fits inside the metal siderails, but those damned rubber channels are in the way. I'm assuming I got a piece of glass that was not in fact the right size... But for the time being, removing the rubber channels would leave enough room to put the glass in, or is that a bad idea?

#2 11 years ago

Glass bouncing on metal.

I wouldn't call it a good idea.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

+1
But yes, they can be removed.

#4 11 years ago

I'm guessing that glass was wrongsized, it should easily fit into the plastic channels.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Glass bouncing on metal.
I wouldn't call it a good idea.
LTG

I was just being hopeful I guess. Now I'm out the $30 from the glass most likely. So by trying to get some locally cheap I'm now going to be out over $100 for playfield glass... Ugh.

#6 11 years ago

Plus, removing your side rails usually means buying new ones... and hopefully you don't damage your cabinet art in the process. Get some new glass.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Plus, removing your side rails usually means buying new ones... and hopefully you don't damage your cabinet art in the process. Get some new glass.

Good info for the future. I posted before trying to dismantle it, just feeling discouraged at this point.

#8 11 years ago

If its an issue of being too wide you could ask your local glass shop to cut it to size. If its too thick you will probably be talking to the same folks anyway when buying a replacement. Cool pin.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

If its an issue of being too wide you could ask your local glass shop to cut it to size. If its too thick you will probably be talking to the same folks anyway when buying a replacement. Cool pin.

I was under the impression that tempered glass couldn't be cut? It's just a bit too wide, like 3/8 of an inch or so.

#10 11 years ago

Well, this is where someone with more knowledge on the subject will hopefully step up. I have ordered several sheets from my local shop over the years and just figured they were cutting it in-house. It doesnt grow on trees so someone has to be cutting it. Bueller, Bueller.

#11 11 years ago

It is cut to size.
We order glass at work for various applications and I had an order coming so I tacked a few sheets onto it for my games. I gave them some sizing for a widebody I few months back and it was cut to size... and yes, it's tempered.

#12 11 years ago

A Putty Knife , some heat & Goo Gone to clean up the Glue Residue .. Fairly Easy ..

That's How i did my BSD . 1st Tyme I ever installed glass guides and rail's .

Robertmee gave them to me when I bought BSD from him , Why I waited 2 Yr's to Install

BSD_Side-rails.jpgBSD_Side-rails.jpg BSD_Side-rails_.jpgBSD_Side-rails_.jpg BSD_Side-rails_.jpgBSD_Side-rails_.jpg BSD_Side-rails__.jpgBSD_Side-rails__.jpg BSD_Side-rails__.jpgBSD_Side-rails__.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Hey B_R, is that a blow torch? That's pretty badass. You're my hero

If you've never done it before, I would suggest running a couple of lines of blue painters tape under the bottom edge of the rail so you don't scratch the graphics, and use a heat gun.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

It is cut to size.
We order glass at work for various applications and I had an order coming so I tacked a few sheets onto it for my games. I gave them some sizing for a widebody I few months back and it was cut to size... and yes, it's tempered.

Cut to size yes, but it can't be cut again from what I understand.

And B_R, thanks for the info, I'll stick with a heat gun when it comes to it though, haha.

#15 11 years ago

Once the glass is tempered it can not be cut. It will shatter if attempted to be cut by conventional means. Time to buy a new piece of glass

#16 11 years ago

They cut the glass and then temper it. Once tempered, it can't be cut again.

#17 11 years ago

Thanks for confirming what I thought I knew about tempered glass. What a waste of money...

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#19 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

A Putty Knife , some heat & Goo Gone to clean up the Glue Residue .. Fairly Easy ..
That's How i did my BSD . 1st Tyme I ever installed glass guides and rail's .
Robertmee gave them to me when I bought BSD from him , Why I waited 2 Yr's to Install

Attachments BSD_Side-rails__.jpg (289.7 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old BSD_Side-rails__.jpg (191.3 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old BSD_Side-rails_.jpg (342.5 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old BSD_Side-rails_.jpg (224.4 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old BSD_Side-rails.jpg (248 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old

Wow. You don't need all this. A blow torch?? Wow. It takes less than 5 minutes with a flat blade screw driver. You just shove it in, slowly pry, and work you way to the back. The glue residue is also not needed to be removed as it helps when reattaching the new ones. I have gold plated and powder coated all my machines. I've removed over 40 side rails using this method in the last 4-6 weeks.

Edit: I should point out there is one obvious bolt in front and sometimes a wood nail in back but usually not. The side rails will be all bent up and garbage once removed this way.

#20 11 years ago

Tim Allen would be proud of the blow torch.

#21 11 years ago

The method I posted in this thread allows removal without damaging the side rails... useful if your game has *1* bad rail that you want to save for later (the aftermarket side rails are similar, but not identical,so if you use new side rails, you have to replace *both* sides - save the 'good' original for your next game with 1 bent rail), or if you want to polish/replate/paint the originals and re-install them...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-side-rails

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#23 11 years ago

If you've never done it before, I would suggest running a couple of lines of blue painters tape under the bottom edge of the rail so you don't scratch the graphics, and use a heat gun.

Heatguns and blue tape are for sissies, 6" putty knife and a propane torch, the knife works as a heat shield.
I remove decals the same way, I stripped this head in about 10 minutes.
Heat the knife and decals at the same time and wear fireplace gloves.
FLAME ON!

AFMTD_018.jpgAFMTD_018.jpg AFMTD2_006.jpgAFMTD2_006.jpg

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

That Would be a Good Idea !!! This Was my 1st Rail Job , I Will do it the same way Next Tyme.

#25 11 years ago

You also need to do the trick I mentioned with a drywall knife.. so, if some tape sticks, you don't rip the decal clear down the cabinet.

#26 11 years ago

Anybody fancy doing a video of rail removal? My SS needs new rails but don't want to damage decals so would be good to watch some being removed

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I stripped this head in about 10 minutes.

That is twice as long as it takes me .

Jim

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Anybody fancy doing a video of rail removal? My SS needs new rails but don't want to damage decals so would be good to watch some being removed

No need for a video. Follow the procedure linked in my post above, it's cake.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Shapeshifter said:Anybody fancy doing a video of rail removal? My SS needs new rails but don't want to damage decals so would be good to watch some being removed
No need for a video. Follow the procedure linked in my post above, it's cake.

Thanks. Might give it a try.

#30 11 years ago

Is this the same procedure for Sterns? I always see how tos for B/W but not for Sterns.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Is this the same procedure for Sterns? I always see how tos for B/W but not for Sterns.

Sterns dont use tape....held in place by those tiny screws

#32 11 years ago

Thank you. I thought so because there doesn't seem to be any space between the rail and the cab like on my B/Ws.

4 months later
#33 11 years ago

How do you take out the small rivet on the side rail nearest the front of the machine?

Regards David

#34 11 years ago

Usually with rivets you have to drill head and push through. No idea if its the same with pinball rivets though lol, only done auto glass.

http://www.overclock.net/t/337343/how-to-rivets-removing-and-replacing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/side-rail-removal-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.