Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by phantasmo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shuff-2 (resized).jpg
    DSC03703 (resized).JPG
    DSC03699 (resized).JPG
    DSC03689 (resized).JPG
    shuffle (resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

Long story short - I am going to be refinishing my basement... Already did it once, but get to redo it due to some unforeseen circumstances. Time for upgrades!!! Silver lining so to speak!

Will have plenty of room for pins, will make a new MAME cabinet (old one got destroyed) and the Mrs would really love a shuffleboard table. Well hell! If she wants a shuffleboard table, I'm all in as I love to play shuffleboard too!

Herein lies the issue... I know almost nothing useful about shuffleboard tables. All I know is I can fit a 12' table given the overall space I will have. 9' is too small and severely limits the selection, 14' could fit but it would be a hassle to actually use (will remeasure to be sure). So, I'm looking for help in sourcing a decent table. Cost isn't necessarily an issue as I am more concerned about quality and longevity. I'm willing to buy a good table, but I also don't want (or need) a professional, artisan-carved masterpiece for $26,000!!!

What manufacturers are good? Which ones should I stay away from? Particular features to look for? Are climatic adjusters necessary or worth it in a home environment? 1.5" thick vs. 3" thick field? Would prefer to buy a brand made in the USA, but not against foreign tables if features and price warrant it. Don't really have a budget, but I've seen tables listed from around $1700 to $7000 (above that is way too much table for my type of house). I'd like to stay under $5000 if possible

No one around me or near me has one, so I've got no one to ask except for the cool folks on Pinside!

Any and all input is welcome! Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Just get a nice shuffle bowler for $1000 or under. A lot more fun and up to 6 people can play at the same time.

Glws

#3 8 years ago

Neither the wife nor I like shuffle bowlers - not an option...

#4 8 years ago

I have a 12' from my townhouse days. The house we're in now used to have a full length table in the basement. The owners took that and left the pool table.

Anyway, this is the one I have...
    http://championshuffleboard.com/prod_qualifier.shtml

It's been good. Only better thing would be a thicker table, but I don't think you will find that in the shorter lengths.

Get yourself a set of these too. It's fun to switch it up. you can even order bowling score sheets. I think we shuffle-bowl more than regular shuffleboard.
    http://www.efamilyfun.com/shuffleboad-bowling-pin-setter-deluxe.html

Oh, and if you are doing a 12-14' table, go with the slower wax. The fast stuff is way too fast for a short table.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinman52:

Just get a nice shuffle bowler for $1000 or under. A lot more fun and up to 6 people can play at the same time.
    Glws

Not even close, shuffleboard, when played correctly, is a very intense, strategic game of skill. Shuffleboard had no lasting power where shuffleboard never gets old when playing against someone.

#6 8 years ago

Yup- shuffleboard for the win. Then when you add in the bowling pins and pin setter, you can shuffle bowl on a shuffleboard table. Kinda hard to shuffleboard on a shuffle bowl table...

Found 2 or 3 places near me that sell shuffleboard tables. Time to pay a visit or three!

#7 8 years ago

I just bought a 14' table from a place here in Western New York, Gary's Pool and leisure. it was a $4,499.00 table, I bought the showroom display and they took 700 bucks off. Nice table, solid maple and I too bought the bowling pin set and setter.

#8 8 years ago

We have one of those bar/billiard type stores in a strip mall around here. They are outrageously overpriced. Make sure you shop around.

Check this guy out!

#9 8 years ago

I have a question for the people on here.. I play at the bar on a 22 ft table.. How does the 12ft and 14ft play?? Are they to short in anyone's opinion.. Like the OP I want to get one when game room is completed..

1 month later
    #10 8 years ago

I was looking at rebound or snap back tables but all are like 7ft. I considered making my own rebound table at 11 feet so I could have a 22 ft table up and back.

8 months later
    #11 7 years ago

Hey - I am resurrecting this thread bc I am also thinking of buying a shuffleboard. Would like to hear more from people that have one.

#12 7 years ago

I ended up buying an Olhausen York shuffleboard table. Nothing fancy, very understated yet classy. Excellent quality. Went with the 20" wide board, 14' table.

Love it.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's site - no affiliation.

http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/products/99

#13 7 years ago

Any opinions on length? Does size matter? How is the bowling game?

#14 7 years ago

22ft is regulation.. I have 20 ft and love it.. IMO I think the longer they are the better.. personally I wouldn't go under 16ft

#15 7 years ago

Do you ever set the bowling pins up on yours?

#16 7 years ago

We use the bowling pins a lot. Even have bowling score sheets to keep score.

#17 7 years ago

I had 18' of wall space to work with. I could push one end of the table up against one wall and wanted 3' on the other end. That left 15'. Since it seems tables only came in increments of 2' I would be stuck with a 14' table. Given that the playfield is about 18" shorter than the table, I'd be looking at a 12 1/2 foot playfield, which seemed too short. What to do? I made my own table. It is ~15' long; however, I was able to make the playfield 14'. In essence, I have a 16' table in a 14' space.

I am a pretty experienced woodworker; however, I did look at buying a finished playfield. Several of the shuffleboard companies will make a playfield to your specified length. I decided to build my own but unless you have a good planer and a large area, it can be a difficult take. On the other hand, the cradle is not very difficult. I chose mahogany because it is readily available in long lengths, it is easy to work with, inexpensive and looks great. Anyhow, I don't know if you have basic woodworking skills or know someone who does. If so, you might look into making the cradle and purchasing the playfield. Here's a pic

shuffle (resized).JPGshuffle (resized).JPG

#18 7 years ago

^^ wow! That is awesome! Did you use maple for the playfield?

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

^^ wow! That is awesome! Did you use maple for the playfield?

Yes, hard maple 'coated' with a 2-part bartop epoxy finish.

#20 7 years ago

Ok guys - wife and I had a chance to go try out a few tables in Nashville. We tried a 20,16, 14, and a rebound type table - different bars and a game store. We def like the longer tables. The rebound table felt more like a novelty than the real thing. I think we have enough room in the basement for a 20.

3 weeks later
    #21 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

Ok guys - wife and I had a chance to go try out a few tables in Nashville. We tried a 20,16, 14, and a rebound type table - different bars and a game store. We def like the longer tables. The rebound table felt more like a novelty than the real thing. I think we have enough room in the basement for a 20.

RTR - Did you end up getting a shuffleboard table yet? I've been dreaming of getting one for 10+ years and am finally getting to the point of pulling the trigger. I have room for a 16' - 20' table...thinking maybe an 18'. Been keeping my eye on local sales and 14' seem to be the longest that pop up...would save me a TON of money, but I'm afraid I'd wish I had got an 18' instead. Curious to hear what you ended up doing.

#22 7 years ago

We ended up getting the 14' for a couple of reasons.... 1) There was one specific spot where we could put a table, and that location didn't afford space for a much longer table. 2) Given #1 above, I could have gotten away with a 16', but our sales guy said your really want about 3' on each end to be comfortable playing. Less than that and it can be tight, especially when you're playing teams. Where I have it now, I have about 2.5' on one end. I totally agree with having enough space on the ends. Does make a difference. I could move the table to get 3' on that end, but then I get major interference from a support column and a treadmill.

At then end of the day, get the largest table you can given space and funds. And don't skimp on width either. A narrow 16" width playing surface is way less than ideal. I think reg width is 20". Get a reg width if you can. I think only the smaller tables come in narrower widths...

#23 7 years ago

We are waiting until our basement is finished before ordering a table. I agree with the thoughts above - get a regulation width for sure and then get the longest table you can fit/afford with 3' at either end to play comfortably.

We played longer and shorter tables at various places and def prefer the longer ones. We are lucky that our basement has a really long room that will accommodate a 20' table. The longer ones do not seem to come up used very often.

#24 7 years ago

Ah-ha. A shuffleboard discussion. I got vetoed by my family when deciding on a shuffleboard versus a pool table. I wanted a shuffleboard, but everyone else wanted a pool table. So, we got the pool table and I said, fine, I'll just build one. Funny thing is, the shuffleboard has more playtime on it than the pool table. The playfield on mine is 16' long, 20" wide, and 3" thick hard maple. I built the cradle legs to match those on our Olhausen pool table.

DSC03689 (resized).JPGDSC03689 (resized).JPG
    DSC03699 (resized).JPGDSC03699 (resized).JPG
    DSC03703 (resized).JPGDSC03703 (resized).JPG
    shuff-2 (resized).jpgshuff-2 (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

Any opinions on length? Does size matter? How is the bowling game?

You mainly choose what size you can fit. With the smaller tables, you slow the table down by using a different grade of silicone beads. You also need about 3 feet on each end of the table, minimum.

The bowling game is ok. Rule of thumb -- the harder you throw the pucks the less pins you will knock down. Personally, the regular shuffleboard game is much more engaging, especially if you have guests over.

#26 7 years ago

Beautiful build, @rippleman!

Looking forward to seeing an update when your basement is done, @RTR! I, too, am lucky to have long wall open in my new basement. It should be about 27' so I could fit a 20' table, but I think I may go with 18'.

4 years later
    #27 2 years ago

Going rebound to get my feet wet because in clearance I found a 3k table in mint condition New for $350
    Had to do it.
    Hope it's fun

#28 2 years ago

I had 3 pins on route at the local pub, walking distance from my house.
    new pub owners installed new pub management who decided to get rid of the pins and replace them with shuffleboard....
    needless to say, I hate shuffleboard

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shuffleboard-school-me?hl=audiohaven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.